Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 06:32 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
You are lucky that you even get anykind of music on AM. Here it is all religious shows, news, ball games and everything else but music.
There are plenty of news talk, business and sports stations around here. A baseball game on the radio is okay when on the road. I like to listen to ag reports. Also, several AM stations also have FM translators for viability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 06:42 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
There are plenty of news talk, business and sports stations around here. A baseball game on the radio is okay when on the road. I like to listen to ag reports. Also, several AM stations also have FM translators for viability.
I have never heard agriculture reports here.

Old 11-22-2020, 02:51 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Quote:
I have never heard agriculture reports here.
I am in the middle of cow country. Most of economy is agriculture driven. Ranching and cereal grains around here. Corn and soybeans further east.

Old 11-22-2020, 02:59 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Radio died both AM and FM when it became shock jocks, all sports all the time, and cloned canned music content engineered to maximize profit.

Only reason I still have a radio is public radio. I do remember growing up with the little local AM station giving farm prices and weather and such, all very local content. Buy, sell, and trade show, and recipe show for the housewives. I was mostly interested on snowy days whether there would be school cause THAT was the station the schools used to report closing or delay.

Old 11-22-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I am in the middle of cow country. Most of economy is agriculture driven. Ranching and cereal grains around here. Corn and soybeans further east.
That would be interesting to hear.

Old 11-22-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Radio died both AM and FM when it became shock jocks, all sports all the time, and cloned canned music content engineered to maximize profit.

Only reason I still have a radio is public radio. I do remember growing up with the little local AM station giving farm prices and weather and such, all very local content. Buy, sell, and trade show, and recipe show for the housewives. I was mostly interested on snowy days whether there would be school cause THAT was the station the schools used to report closing or delay.
Yes here it's pretty dead. AM especially. FM has music but ownership keeps changing so formats all change not for the better.

Old 11-23-2020, 06:46 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
My sister and I would get up early on Saturday and watch the farm report, which was on before the cartoons started.

When I moved to Wooster in 1982, I wondered why the local radio station didn't shorten Les Nessman's hog report by 15 minutes and play Paul Harvey News & Comments instead. It turns out that Paul Harvey was an ABC network program, and the local station belonged to a lesser, inferior network. I miss Paul Harvey.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
My sister and I would get up early on Saturday and watch the farm report, which was on before the cartoons started.

When I moved to Wooster in 1982, I wondered why the local radio station didn't shorten Les Nessman's hog report by 15 minutes and play Paul Harvey News & Comments instead. It turns out that Paul Harvey was an ABC network program, and the local station belonged to a lesser, inferior network. I miss Paul Harvey.
Where is Wooster? Les Nessman? From that show TV series "WKRP".

Old 11-24-2020, 05:32 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
Quote:
Where is Wooster? Les Nessman? From that show TV series "WKRP".
Wooster, Ohio. And yes, I was making a sarcastic reference to WKRP.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:38 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Quote:
A baseball game on the radio is okay when on the road.

Yea it was like baseball was made for radio. Havent listened to baseball game on radio in very long time. The other sports didnt fit radio nearly as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio