Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 02:11 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times

Advertisements

Okay, we've had lots of discussions in the personal finance forum about Dave Ramsey, things we like and don't like, etc. But this is about the playing of the show itself.

Why is the show always re-runs? I tend to play it all three hours on my computer at work, pretty much Monday through Friday, 2pm-5pm. I'm doing work at the same time, so I'm not even paying attention 100% to the show. But VERY OFTEN, I hear a caller, and I know exactly what he/she is going to say next, word for word. I'm not talking about the idea that all the callers are similar. I mean, I remember the person, their first name, and their exact story, and Dave's exact words. Sometimes I hear the same exact call 3-4 times so that I pretty much have it memorized. I even had a co-worker in my office the other day and I said "listen, the lady is going to say ____ and then Dave will say ____."

I made sure I am clicking on "live broadcast" not on show archives.

How often is his show actually a new broadcast? Are all three hours supposed to be new, or are just one or two of them new, with the rest be re-runs?

I can't seem to find this info on his site, so I asked here. The site does say the show is supposedly live every day 2-5 Eastern time (that's my time zone).

I do enjoy the show, but the second or third time I hear the same block of callers, it gets kind of annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 02:48 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
I may be mistaken, but I believe that Ramsey's program is paid advertising. The reason I believe so is that a while back I was listening to a particular station, and just before Ramsey came on, I heard an announcement that "the following is a paid advertisement, and the opinions expressed to dont reflect those of the station etc"

Which might explain why you hear a lot of reruns.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:51 PM

I've never heard that before. Maybe it was an infomercial for one of his books that you heard? No, his regular show gets paid by advertisers to advertise.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:07 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I've never heard that before. Maybe it was an infomercial for one of his books that you heard? No, his regular show gets paid by advertisers to advertise.
As I said, I am not certain. But I am certain I heard the announcement. Disclosure: I dont go out of my way to listen to Ramsey. He's a one trick pony, and as good as that trick is, it gets old fast.

PS all of Ramsey's program is essentially an infomercial for his books and other products and services he may sell. Nothing wrong with that. Many radio folks hawk their wares as a part of their program.

Old 05-15-2014, 09:49 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
As I said, I am not certain. But I am certain I heard the announcement. Disclosure: I dont go out of my way to listen to Ramsey. He's a one trick pony, and as good as that trick is, it gets old fast.

PS all of Ramsey's program is essentially an infomercial for his books and other products and services he may sell. Nothing wrong with that. Many radio folks hawk their wares as a part of their program.

I like his show, since he gives plenty of good advise that's free.
http://www.daveramsey.com/show/about

Old 05-16-2014, 05:32 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Can't comment on the reruns but that announcement is to protect the station from law suits in the event a listener takes the hosts´ advice and it doesn´t workout. You will hear all kinds of disclaimers similar to that and it has nothing to do with programming.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:56 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post

I remember hearing from someone in the industry that his show airs live in San Antonio because he pays the station here to be in that timeslot. I know there's no disclaimer airing here, though.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:33 AM

Anyway, does anyone else know why it seems to be re-runs all the time? This is on the website, not on any radio station. It says "listen live" and "live broadcast." But unless I'm psychic and never knew it, most of the show is never new or live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio