U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 03:49 AM

38,691 posts, read 82,776,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
That's interesting; because Anita Baker isn't a jazz singer...even a "smooth jazz" singer. She's light R&B -- like Toni Braxton. I realize you know this...but do these "jazz" stations know this?
"Smooth jazz" is a pretty nebulous concept. My mom listens to our local smooth jazz station and I've heard them play anything from Shadowfax to Spirogyra to Anita to Jesus Jones ("Right Here Right Now" with the guitar solo edited out ) to -- mortifyingly enough -- some trip-hop/downtempo artists I enjoy such as Beanfield, 9 Lazy 9 and Aim. Ramsey Lewis even serves as a daily DJ on our local smooth jazz station, and Ramsey is about as legit-jazz as you can get. (My parents were so proud of me when I told them the wife and I were going to see Ramsey in concert. They thought we had come around and adopted an appreciation for smooth jazz. I'm still working to disabuse them of such a putrid notion to this day.) So the moral of the story is this: by today's radio programming standards, if it's moderately funky but not "Miles Davis" hard-edge, then it's smooth-jazz. And Anita fits that bill, for better or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 09:17 AM

100 posts, read 404,601 times
Quote:
Poison by Bel Biv Devoe
Yeah, you don't hear "Knockin' Boots" by Candyman either!!

Old 01-05-2008, 11:40 AM

2,327 posts, read 6,560,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch10 View Post
Yeah, you don't hear "Knockin' Boots" by Candyman either!!
Or "Knockin' Da Boots" by H-Town either!

Old 01-05-2008, 05:19 PM

2,860 posts, read 7,414,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Mopac-you're right about Alan Parsons! Formula radio drives me batty with their stupid play lists. But he has not been dormant by any means. Pull up Wikipedia on Alan; they have a good bio on him and a good discography as well. His recent efforts are all great; A Valid Path just come out 6 months ago. He has a great web site as well and has a few tour dates lined up. He's in my Top 10 of favorite artists as I am a big progressive fan. Side 2 of Tales of Mystery and Imagination is just awesome!
I don't understand why Alan Parsons doesn't get as much recognition on the radio like many of the other artists do, I really like his music and his creativity, I didn't really start appreciating Alan Parsons Project until last year when I've heard his deep cuts on a SiRIUS Radio station called SIRIUS 16 THE VAULT (Deeper Classic Rock) and I couldn't believe how great the Alan Parsons Project really is, I will check out his website.

Old 01-05-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Yes...that, and anything by Roxette. Ugh...hated BOTH of those groups! We need a VOMIT emoticon.

Some more:

Mouth by Merril Bainbridge
Jump by Van Halen
Poison by Bel Biv Devoe
I still hear Jump by Van Halen on the radio all the time, you are right about that you don't hear anything by Roxette an Bel Biv Devoe's Poison on the radio anymore, I was never a big fan of Roxette at all either.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:40 PM

901 posts, read 437,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
The best music I have ever heard are located on SIRIUS Radio, I can never go back to AM/FM Radio ever again.
XM user here.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
XM user here.
Does XM Deeper Classic Rock station play some great progressive rock?

Old 01-07-2008, 07:29 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,079,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
What are some of the songs that you rarely hear on the radio anymore that has gotten a good amount of airplay back in the day?
Ironically: "On the Radio" - Donna Summer....

Old 01-07-2008, 07:31 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,079,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark-Baby View Post
XM user here.

As a lover of 80s music and having an XM in one car and Sirius in the other I'd have to say that XM has the superior 80s station.... I like Sirius a LOT because they have the old MTV VJs as their hosts, but it seems they play the same list of worn out crap over and over and don't mix it up much.... XM plays one's you've never heard and those ones that you forgot you'd forgotten...... JMO.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
As a lover of 80s music and having an XM in one car and Sirius in the other I'd have to say that XM has the superior 80s station.... I like Sirius a LOT because they have the old MTV VJs as their hosts, but it seems they play the same list of worn out crap over and over and don't mix it up much.... XM plays one's you've never heard and those ones that you forgot you'd forgotten...... JMO.
I was kind of dissapointed in the 1980s station on SIRIUS 8 The Big 80s although I did love the Top 40 weekly Countdown they did, I just didn't like the fact they were playing single edits and I was really dissapointed that they played a short version of Quiet Riot's *** on Feel the Noize on The Big 80s, I thought the 1980s Channel on MusicChoice TV was alot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio