Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 09:57 PM

99 posts, read 190,113 times

Advertisements

Just wondering about everyone's favorite and least favorite public radio shows.

Doesn't have to be an NPR-produced show -- can be APM (American Public Media), PRI (Public Radio International), or PRX (Public Radio Exchange) -- but please choose something that can heard on most NPR-affiliated news/talk stations across the U.S.

I'll start.

Favorites:
  • most of the weekend lineup, especially:
    • TED Radio Hour
    • The Moth Radio Hour
    • This American Life
    • RadioLab
    • CarTalk
    • Snap Judgment
  • Marketplace

Others I like:
  • The World
  • Weekend All Things Considered
  • America's Test Kitchen

No thanks (overrated):
  • Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 06:55 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
I love:
Leonard Lopate
Brian Lehrer

I don't seek them out, but I've very much liked Radio Lab and Wait, Wait, and just discovered Moth.

What I absolutely despise is Diane Rehm.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:52 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
LOVE This American Life....

REALLY enjoy Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me.... it took a little while, but it really grew on me....

Most of the time REALLY enjoy Radio Lab

Have tried, but just don't care for Ask Me Another

Same with Prairie Home Companion....

To the Best of Our Knowledge is pretty hit and miss for me....

Car Talk.... meh, can take it or leave it.....

Rick Steves' voice annoys me most of the time, but I really like most of the guests he brings on.....

Lynn Rosetto-Casper can also be annoying, although I do like many of her guests and most of her recipe ideas.....

I miss Weekend Marketplace with Lizzie O'Leary... the stations I generally listen to when that was on in my areas don't carry it anymore....

The Q is also very hit and miss for me....

The Moth plays at times when I am not usually in the car

TED Radio Hour is also hit and miss for me....

Enjoy Snap Judgment almost every time I catch it on....

yes, I am on the road A LOT on the weekends, mostly Saturdays, and have my NPR stations memorized.... LOL....

Old 11-04-2015, 07:46 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
Car talk, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and The People's Pharmacy

Old 11-09-2015, 02:29 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,762,355 times
Favorites - 1. Wait, Wait 2. Car Talk

Honorable Mention - TED Radio Hour

Overrated IMO - Prairie Home Companion (I just don't understand the appeal)

Old 11-09-2015, 02:38 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
I LOVE "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me", and if I can I build my Sundays around the time it is broadcast in my area.

"This American Life" is often interesting, but Ira Glass has one of the most annoying voices on radio. As long as he's not the person doing the talking I like the show.

Zorba P On Your Health is creepy to listen to - that might just be a Wisconsin Public Radio show, though. I also dislike "Whaddya Know" - which is also a Wisconsin show. Are these broadcast nationally??

Old 11-10-2015, 06:46 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
This American Life is brilliant radio, and I think Radio Lab - in somewhat the same vein - is very good as well.

Fresh Air - Terry Gross is an exceptional interviewer.

And Talk of the Nation? It's very good now that John Hockenberry has taken over for Neil Conan (but still not as good as it was back in the 1990s when Ray Suarez was the host).

Old 11-11-2015, 01:55 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Can't stand the Moth. When did this show start? What's its actual purpose? Who created it? So blah and annoying. Can't they just repeat a talk show from that day?

It airs overnight here in Boston...is that its typical air time elsewhere?

Is Terry Gross weekdays or just weekly? Could never figure the schedule, as I don't tune in much to afternoon radio?

Those Wisconsin shows mentioned above are unfamiliar to me.

Old 02-08-2016, 08:44 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Love Leonard Lopate , Fresh Air , Brian Lehrer , Wait Wait & Car Talk . Not crazy about Jonathan Schwartz and his Sinatra fixation on Sundays. OMG... I think that show has been on my entire life .....

I love NPR, but I am not able to get it inside of my house. I always listen to it in the car, but there is no signal inside. Is there a more powerful radio that I can
get or is this just the way it is ? I live on Long Island and get WNYC NPR and WSHM ( Connecticut ) in the car.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-08-2016 at 01:34 PM..

Old 02-08-2016, 08:42 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Love Leonard Lopate , Fresh Air , Brian Lehrer , Wait Wait & Car Talk . Not crazy about Jonathan Schwartz and his Sinatra fixation on Sundays. OMG... I think that show has been on my entire life .....

I love NPR, but I am not able to get it inside of my house. I always listen to it in the car, but there is no signal inside. Is there a more powerful radio that I can
get or is this just the way it is ? I live on Long Island and get WNYC NPR and WSHM ( Connecticut ) in the car.
That is really strange unless you live in some sort of grounded metal box.

The problem has got to be the antennae you are using on your radio. Some radios are made with really poor internal antennae and need to have an external antennae attached to boost things up. There is usually a connection on the back of the radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio