Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2016, 06:53 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,666 times

Advertisements

It's officially Christmas season according to the radio. I'm not a huge Christmas/material person. Christmas has never really offended or bothered me. Even as a child one song/cartoon always upset me. It was Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer. The bullying didn't bother me. As bullying happens and some people will never get along. Some people are just off beat and have to find their niche. It always bothered me, that everyone assumed Rudolph would help. Like he needed their approval. No one even apologizes to him. I get some things are just sort of products of their times. I don't get how this song is popular and still listened/the cartoon still played. Does anyone genuinely like this song/cartoon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 11:43 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Thumbs down *

A couple stations in my area playing it NON STOP!!!!!!

And not even GOOD christmas music...... TODAYS GARBAGE!!!!!!!!!

No stanx!!

Old 11-27-2016, 01:52 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,744,624 times
I am a big fan of Christmas, but man, do I detest the repetitious Christmas music already airing on local radio. It's not enough that you hear it in every store or business you enter--the same 10-12 songs, just arranged differently or sung by a different person. Now the radio stations are 'converted', or in the process of converting. Six have already converted, while several others are mixing in occasional Christmas songs, and increasing their rotation as we get closer to 12/25, with the conversion likely to be complete a week or so before The Big Day. I wonder if their profits increase somehow by playing those songs rather than their usual playlist, since the Christmas music is likely not "owned" by anyone demanding a royalty. Unless that's involved, I don't understand why seemingly EVERY station in the market goes over to this. If one or two stations want to do it--fine. I'm sure there is a market for it. But when virtually ALL the stations are airing the same 10-12 songs, this does NOT encourage higher ratings/listener-ship. If you can only get songs you don't want to hear, you just turn it off and don't hear their precious commercials.

One particular station near me converts to all-Christmas music *three days before Thanksgiving*. I sent them a note that they have their tradition, and I have mine. I call mine "The Traditional Changing of the Pre-Set Button" and that I looked forward to listening again after New Year's--if I remembered to change the button back.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:00 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
I like Christmas music. I own a large collection of different CDs. However, I do agree many radio stations and stores have very short rotations of how many, different artists and songs they play. I suspect most stores get a prepackaged, pre-recorded, master from their corporate office. They hope people don't come to listen to their music vs. shop!!

MSR

Old 07-22-2017, 08:16 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,007,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
It's officially Christmas season according to the radio. I'm not a huge Christmas/material person. Christmas has never really offended or bothered me. Even as a child one song/cartoon always upset me. It was Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer. The bullying didn't bother me. As bullying happens and some people will never get along. Some people are just off beat and have to find their niche. It always bothered me, that everyone assumed Rudolph would help. Like he needed their approval. No one even apologizes to him. I get some things are just sort of products of their times. I don't get how this song is popular and still listened/the cartoon still played. Does anyone genuinely like this song/cartoon?
This song has a similar theme...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOqQ6khUASw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio