U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2011, 07:26 AM

8,394 posts, read 6,911,570 times

Advertisements

With all due respect, there are a lot of songs I'm glad they no longer play. Some that I miss:

Let's all chant, Michael Zager band (this must be showing my age)
Pour some sugar on me, Def Leppard
What you need, INXS
Runaway Train, Soul Asylum
What's Up, 4 non-blondes
I need to know, Marc Antony
Don't Speak, No Doubt
Picture, Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow
Rubber Ducky, Ernie
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 08:20 PM

617 posts, read 641,493 times
This is scoped, but honestly, how many of these songs from 1991 do you hear now, 20 years later? I'm sure around half were top ten hits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKECqmGJJcI

Old 03-19-2011, 11:26 AM

141 posts, read 143,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
"Crank Dat" by Soulja Boy. My prayers were answered and I thank the good gods for every day I go through w/o hearing this idiotic song polluting the airwaves (haven't heard this song on the radio since around Jan.)

they never seem to play songs from Tupac, Biggie, and other 90's rap stars anymore. those songs were so much better then the junk coming out now

oh, and I actually kind of miss "The Ketchup Song" from a few years ago (not sure if it was ever a top 10 song) and the "Macarena"

Actually, here in DC we have a station here called WPGC 95.5 that plays old school records from B.I.G., 2PAC & others about 3-5 times every hour. They still play a lot of new material, but it seems like they might be one of the first stations that plays old school songs on a regular basis.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:37 AM

6,351 posts, read 13,235,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by square peg View Post
It seems that you couldn't go anywhere during the summer of '71 without hearing Rings by a band called Cymarron. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've heard it since.
MANY thanks for the memories, Square Peg!!! I'd forgotten how Rings went so I had to Google it. Then I immediately added it to my favorites!!!

I'm so disgusted with the playlists on the radio today. I spend 10+ hours every day listening to my truck radio. I deliver to most of the major cities in OH, IN & KY and they ALL have the same tired playlists with the SAME tired songs...

And I don't get why Orleans' Still the One gets worn out on stations around here while Pilot's Magic is hardly ever played. I'd also like to hear Eric Carmen's She Did It and Please Go All The Way a lot more, too!

Old 03-20-2011, 11:52 AM

13,175 posts, read 12,200,074 times
There were some great tunes released in that period. Here's a few others that were in the top 10 that haven't been played in years, and they are all in the same period when "Rings" was released.

HH's Top 10 List

Yellow River-Christie
Only You Know And I Know-Dave Mason
Funky Nassau-Beginning Of The End
Soul Shake-Delaney and Bonnie
Little Wing-Derek and the Dominoes
Joanne-Mike Nesmith
Raindance-Guess Who
Double Barrel-Dave and Ansel Collins
Beside You-New York Rock and Roll Ensemble
Resurrection Shuffle-Ashton, Gardner and Dyke

Crew Chief! The song "Beside You" might not be in the top 10 when it was released but youtube it. I guarantee you'll remember the song. Great tune!

Old 03-22-2011, 11:36 PM

2,474 posts, read 4,961,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
With all due respect, there are a lot of songs I'm glad they no longer play. Some that I miss:

Let's all chant, Michael Zager band (this must be showing my age)
Pour some sugar on me, Def Leppard
What you need, INXS
Runaway Train, Soul Asylum
What's Up, 4 non-blondes
I need to know, Marc Antony
Don't Speak, No Doubt
Picture, Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow
Rubber Ducky, Ernie
I still hear "What You Need" and "Pour Some Sugar on Me" all the time on our local radio stations

Old 03-24-2011, 09:16 AM

25,391 posts, read 31,712,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
HH's Top 10 List

Yellow River-Christie
Only You Know And I Know-Dave Mason
Funky Nassau-Beginning Of The End
Soul Shake-Delaney and Bonnie
Little Wing-Derek and the Dominoes
Joanne-Mike Nesmith
Raindance-Guess Who
Double Barrel-Dave and Ansel Collins
Beside You-New York Rock and Roll Ensemble
Resurrection Shuffle-Ashton, Gardner and Dyke
It's out of print now, but Volume 5 of Rhino's "Didn't It Blow Your Mind" series has both "Funky Nassau" and "Double Barrel" on it.

Not to mention Freda Payne's "Bring the Boys Home."

The spouse and I were digging out really, really old Fleetwood Mac stuff last night, and that reminded me you never hear the original version -- single or otherwise -- of "Oh Well" from 1969. What a great song.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 03-24-2011 at 09:26 AM..

Old 03-27-2011, 11:09 AM

2,063 posts, read 891,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Another Top 10 hit song I rarely hear on the radio anymore is Harold Faltermeyer's Axel F.
I used to love this song; but since it was an instrumental, I knew it would never be played on the radio once its run was up...

Old 03-27-2011, 03:07 PM

5,612 posts, read 6,570,147 times
The Beach Boys had a "comeback" song in 1985 called "Getcha Back" that was fairly successful at the time, and had a playful music video that was in frequent rotation on MTV.

I doubt it even gets played during "80's hours" anymore on commercial pop radio stations.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 AM

895 posts, read 926,470 times
Zager and Evans: 2525
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio