Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2020, 07:50 PM

43 posts, read 119,683 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why The Barsky Radio Show on Am Wftl, Palm Beach was cancelled ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 07:37 PM

8,069 posts, read 4,744,624 times
Looking at the new lineup, it looks to me that they got rid of a lot of locally-produced programming (and those hosts) in favor of syndicated fare. That's usually a sign that they want to cut expenses, since the syndicated stuff (especially the second-tier and third-tier shows they picked up) doesn't cost as much. But syndicated stuff means there will be a lot less "breaking local news" being discussed.

I ran hot and cold on Barsky, to tell the truth. It was my default show on the radio when going home from work, and I liked the rapport he had with Ron Hersey (sp?) on the air. But he would lapse into topics that were...um, "in poor taste" at times. I'm glad Jen and Bill were left untouched, but that might have been because I think morning drive almost HAS to be locally produced. Joyce's drastically-reduced air time sounds to me like they want to keep her around for name recognition but didn't want to pay her what she's worth. She will likely leave ("retire") after the election.

I hate how radio stations fire their on-air talent with no warning, and seemingly drop the 'cone of silence' (NDA's) to prevent anyone from finding out what happened or where the fired person went. They did the same thing to Rich Stevens a few years ago, though I understand this is an industry thing and not unique to WFTL.

Old 02-18-2020, 02:28 PM

43 posts, read 119,683 times
Default WFTL, Palm Beach radio

Thanks for the feedback, Daniel. You are spot on with your analogy

Old 08-20-2020, 10:01 PM

422 posts, read 281,947 times
I really miss Barsky's radio show. He made my day with his comedy. Any updates of what happened? Do you think maybe he went to do podcasts or went to Sirius Radio like Howard Stern did?

Old 12-22-2020, 10:59 AM

Does anyone know what happened to him?

Old 12-25-2020, 07:14 PM

It seems historically that when a radio or TV personality is let go like that, part of their severance package includes non-compete clauses and/or non-disclosure agreements. They're not allowed to immediately sign on with a competing station, and usually have some period of time when they have to stay off the air altogether. They have to also agree not to bad-mouth the station or the people who fired them, or even discuss the departure in public. In most cases the on-air personalities left behind are not allowed to speak of it, either. This sort of stuff leaves the listener/viewer in the dark, and unable to learn what really happened until much later (likely after any NDA's expire, or the people involved are no longer with the company). It's been YEARS since Rich Stevens left the station and I've not found anything explaining his departure. It's as if he dropped off the face of the Earth. I expect similar radio silence (for lack of a better term) on Paul Barsky. There would have to have been some sort of legal reason for him not to move to some other city and start a show there, since he seems to have been doing similar shows in other markets in the past.

Old 12-26-2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
It seems historically that when a radio or TV personality is let go like that, part of their severance package includes non-compete clauses and/or non-disclosure agreements. They're not allowed to immediately sign on with a competing station, and usually have some period of time when they have to stay off the air altogether. They have to also agree not to bad-mouth the station or the people who fired them, or even discuss the departure in public. In most cases the on-air personalities left behind are not allowed to speak of it, either. This sort of stuff leaves the listener/viewer in the dark, and unable to learn what really happened until much later (likely after any NDA's expire, or the people involved are no longer with the company). It's been YEARS since Rich Stevens left the station and I've not found anything explaining his departure. It's as if he dropped off the face of the Earth. I expect similar radio silence (for lack of a better term) on Paul Barsky. There would have to have been some sort of legal reason for him not to move to some other city and start a show there, since he seems to have been doing similar shows in other markets in the past.
You think he was fired? He did like leave the earth, as you said. I thought maybe he was on Sirius or maybe one of those podcasts that I keep hearing ads for on iHeart radio. I really miss his show tho, and he was so funny that he made my day. And since he left AM Radio, I gave up on the other talk shows there and found an FM Radio talk show that I like.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:52 PM

Sometimes there is a situation where the host's show is cancelled/replaced but the host has a pay-or-play deal in their contract. The station has to pay them for the remainder of their contract period even if the show is no longer being produced/aired. So the host would actually be paid to do nothing because the station chose to take him off the air before his contract ended...but the station would sue him if he tried to go to work for some other station because he's technically still their employee!

That was just my speculation on his being fired*, but it appeared that when WFTL was bought out, they cut back on their on-air local talent in favor of syndicated (cheaper) shows. As I mentioned earlier, they also cut back Joyce Kauffman's airtime at around the same time Barsky's show disappeared. They also cancelled a few higher-rated syndicated offerings in favor of lesser-known (and thus cheaper) shows for the afternoon slots. In this market WFTL is in the bottom half of the ratings, and I can't imagine ratings improving via third-tier, syndicated hosts.

* It is not uncommon for radio hosts to be fired/let go multiple times in their careers. Radio is a difficult career path, and anyone who has been on radio for any length of time wears their firings like badges of honor. Stations often change hands, and new owners often want to tweak formats or fix things they perceive to be broken. It's not always the fault of the person getting fired; they might be doing everything they were hired to do, and even doing it well. It's just the new bosses think they know better. It can be a case of the firing not being "personal" at all. That might be why so many in the radio business don't see firing(s) as a black mark on someone's resume the way they might in other industries.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:47 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,620 times
Quote:
Quote:
Looking at the new lineup, it looks to me that they got rid of a lot of locally-produced programming (and those hosts) in favor of syndicated fare. That's usually a sign that they want to cut expenses, since the syndicated stuff (especially the second-tier and third-tier shows they picked up) doesn't cost as much. But syndicated stuff means there will be a lot less "breaking local news" being discussed.

I ran hot and cold on Barsky, to tell the truth. It was my default show on the radio when going home from work, and I liked the rapport he had with Ron Hersey (sp?) on the air. But he would lapse into topics that were...um, "in poor taste" at times. I'm glad Jen and Bill were left untouched, but that might have been because I think morning drive almost HAS to be locally produced. Joyce's drastically-reduced air time sounds to me like they want to keep her around for name recognition but didn't want to pay her what she's worth. She will likely leave ("retire") after the election.

I hate how radio stations fire their on-air talent with no warning, and seemingly drop the 'cone of silence' (NDA's) to prevent anyone from finding out what happened or where the fired person went. They did the same thing to Rich Stevens a few years ago, though I understand this is an industry thing and not unique to WFTL.
Correct on both counts. It could be a myriad of things, but those two things can be true.

Old 01-02-2021, 04:09 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,259,269 times
I used to listen to Barsky back in the 80's when he was in Philly. Very funny guy. He will probably resurface again somewhere - maybe on a podcast?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio