Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 04:38 AM

5,557 posts, read 4,901,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCinderella View Post
Sorry, just thought to check this part of this vast forum.

We had a 5/8's wave Hygain Penetrator, telescopic antenna. It actually could go 60 ft. high when the legal limit was 40ft. high. It got out, that's for sure.

Our mic was the Cobra stand one that was so popular. Mine was the standard silver, but I did make friends with a couple that owned a type of oil-service company and their mic was Cobra gold plated, oohhhh I sure admired that thing, LOL.
That Super Penetrator 5/8 wave ground plane base antenna was the best antenna we had. I also remember the D-104 preamp base mike that sounded so good. I didn't have one. I have a Turner + 3 base microphone. I don't know what is top dog these days. Probably still a Cobra radio. As far a antennas and other equipment I been out of the hobby when they banned aluminum antennas such as the great antennas we mentioned above like a Moon Raker 6 or 12?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 10:23 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,536,770 times
I still use a CB when going on road trips. I use it mainly for locating cops.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I still use a CB when going on road trips. I use it mainly for locating cops.
So you do find it useful? What areas?
Lots of people still on CB radio?

Old 05-03-2021, 09:43 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,536,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
So you do find it useful? What areas?
Lots of people still on CB radio?
I find it useful when freeway driving in rural areas. Not as many people on the CB compared to 30+ years ago. The CB saved me from a speeding ticket in Ohio. The cops were clocking speeds by airplane. I got a warning on the CB several miles up the road.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I find it useful when freeway driving in rural areas. Not as many people on the CB compared to 30+ years ago. The CB saved me from a speeding ticket in Ohio. The cops were clocking speeds by airplane. I got a warning on the CB several miles up the road.
Use a scanner sometimes they can be even more useful depending on the departments equipment.
I was just noticing that they don't sell the good base station like they did in the 70's. i.e. Hygain's Super Penetrator. Or the mobile K-40 magnet antenna.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:21 AM

277 posts, read 770,258 times
Oh man, I was really into CB radio for a few years as a teenager. It was like our Internet before there was Internet. Met some really cool people from it.

I had a base station at home. I remember the day my parents freaked out when they came home and saw the Antron 99 antenna mounted to a pole outside my window.

Being into the gear was a big part of it. The cool stuff wasn't legal. The export radios (any remember the Galaxy brand- base stations were supercool), linear amplifiers, etc. My neighbors used to complain that when I keyed up they would hear me on their landlines. I had this cool Echomaster mic that was modified for all kinds of roger beeps, echo, etc.

I kind of wish I still had all that stuff around.

Old 05-09-2021, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
Oh man, I was really into CB radio for a few years as a teenager. It was like our Internet before there was Internet. Met some really cool people from it.

I had a base station at home. I remember the day my parents freaked out when they came home and saw the Antron 99 antenna mounted to a pole outside my window.

Being into the gear was a big part of it. The cool stuff wasn't legal. The export radios (any remember the Galaxy brand- base stations were supercool), linear amplifiers, etc. My neighbors used to complain that when I keyed up they would hear me on their landlines. I had this cool Echomaster mic that was modified for all kinds of roger beeps, echo, etc.

I kind of wish I still had all that stuff around.
I have never heard of those brands. Only Cushcraft, Sigma 5/8, Super Penetrator, PDL 2, Moon Raker 6, Astro Plane, Big Stik base antenna-HORRIBLE , Starduster, Turner +3 mic., D-104 mic., Pace, Johnson, Royce, Kraco, Lafayette, Realistic Navaho Pro series, Cobra, Regency, base stations that had tubes that required warm up, Sharp.

What era was this in regards to the Antron 99 antenna Echomaster and Galaxy brands?

As far as land line interference (including TV) and running with "boots" I'm surprised "uncle Charlie" didn't come after you.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:38 PM

277 posts, read 770,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I have never heard of those brands. Only Cushcraft, Sigma 5/8, Super Penetrator, PDL 2, Moon Raker 6, Astro Plane, Big Stik base antenna-HORRIBLE , Starduster, Turner +3 mic., D-104 mic., Pace, Johnson, Royce, Kraco, Lafayette, Realistic Navaho Pro series, Cobra, Regency, base stations that had tubes that required warm up, Sharp.

What era was this in regards to the Antron 99 antenna Echomaster and Galaxy brands?

As far as land line interference (including TV) and running with "boots" I'm surprised "uncle Charlie" didn't come after you.
This was the early '90s for me. Another mobile rig I remember that was kinda high tech for its time was the Ranger RCI-2950. The export radios I speak of sometimes had both 10/11 meter ranges, AM/FM/SSB.

There was also the President brand. The models were named after US Presidents.

I remember the D-104 mic, Astatic was the brand. The Silver Eagle model I think it was called was all chrome, beautiful mic. I think there was also a model that was black and gold. This is all very nostalgic

Old 05-10-2021, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
This was the early '90s for me. Another mobile rig I remember that was kinda high tech for its time was the Ranger RCI-2950. The export radios I speak of sometimes had both 10/11 meter ranges, AM/FM/SSB.

There was also the President brand. The models were named after US Presidents.

I remember the D-104 mic, Astatic was the brand. The Silver Eagle model I think it was called was all chrome, beautiful mic. I think there was also a model that was black and gold. This is all very nostalgic
Yes I do remember the brand "President" but I don't recall any of the individual radios named after each president. I am curious is President radio a 90's brand?

I came aboard CB in 1970 when we only had 23 channels and it was not crowded at all.
I had a Sharp 12 channel CBT 55 portable that ran on D batteries or an AC adapter with a center loaded antenna when I first started then eventually got a Cobra base station very simple one with just a volume and squelch control with S meter. It was a very boxy base station Cobra lowest price base station at the time in 1985?
Then got a Royce base station AM/SSB in 1977/1978 went through 3 antennas with this: A Sigma 5/8 wave, Super Penetrator which was the BEST of them all and the worst antenna a half wave Shakesphere fiberglass Big Stik antenna.
Then finally a Realistic 40 Channel TRC-451 AM/SSB mobile with K-40 magnet antenna that got out there real good.

I never heard of the Ranger RCI-2950 which vintage was this?

Old 05-11-2021, 12:01 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,484,905 times
The statute of limitations has passed, I was using Drake Twins and Yaesu FT101s back in the 70s!

The Avanti (Moonraker, PDL, Astroplane) factory was not far from my house and used to go there dumpster diving. Usually came away with some usable parts. Fun times!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio