Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2022, 08:33 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times

Advertisements

At one time radio stations played vinyl records, flip sides of singles, and sometimes whole albums. Today the music is electronic. When was the switch from vinyl to cassette, to CD, to electronic? Do any of today’s major stations still play request or do they merely give lip service if a caller actually gets through? Are today’s radio stations more like a Pandora playing a preselect group of artists and genre instead of what fans want to hear via request?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2022, 03:09 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,515,980 times
"Are today’s radio stations more like a Pandora playing a preselect group of artists and genre instead of what fans want to hear via request?"

Yes. Corporate greed ramped up in the late 70s early 80s. I can't recall the last time I saw or heard a request line even mentioned!

You won't hear or see anything like this guy anytime soon.
Attached Thumbnails
When did radio switch technology?-jack4.jpg  

Old 04-28-2022, 03:28 PM

17,562 posts, read 15,220,914 times
I don't think, and someone can correct me if i'm wrong.. I don't think they ever played cassettes.

i think they went from vinyl to magnetic media.. Which was carts and I suppose could be considered a big cassette. And then there was a VERY small window of time where they did use CDs before migrating to MP3/computerized formats.

Now.. No one needs to be at a radio station. All computerized.

Voicetracking I think really took off in the early 2000's. In the past, it wasn't unheard of for there to be a 'national' show broadcast. Especially on weekend evenings and the like, think Casey's Top 40 or whatever. But throughout the day, you still had an actual person there in the radio station playing the 'records' and commercials.

Then, they moved to having one person do their show at 30 radio stations across the country. The Clear Channelling of American radio. This was NORMALLY only for middays at the start. Because they still saw value in a local AM Drive, PM Drive and evening time slot.

Then.. Evenings went.. Followed by PM drive.. And throughout, they found that they could air a non-local morning drive show. Hence the rise of John Boy and Billy and Bob and Tom and the like.

Howard Stern was NEVER a money saving venture, though. His show was expensive as crap to carry.

Amyways.. Looking at a 'local' station here.. The top station in Greenville, at least, at times. 92.5 WESC and 100.5 WSSL flip back and forth usually.. WESC is tops during NASCAR, WSSL other times.

WESC's DJs are in Tampa, Austin, TX and Baltimore, MD (I think)

They just replaced their local morning show about 2 years ago.. Firing someone who had been there for 20+ years.

I haven't listened to local radio in 10 years now, probably. I generally stick with 80's on 8 (Miss Martha Quinn who left for iHeartRadio a few years back) Classic Rewind and the like. If local radio were.. You know.. LOCAL.. I'd listen.

Old 04-28-2022, 09:45 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I don't think, and someone can correct me if i'm wrong.. I don't think they ever played cassettes.

i think they went from vinyl to magnetic media.. Which was carts and I suppose could be considered a big cassette. And then there was a VERY small window of time where they did use CDs before migrating to MP3/computerized formats.

Voicetracking I think really took off in the early 2000's. In the past, it wasn't unheard of for there to be a 'national' show broadcast. Especially on weekend evenings and the like, think Casey's Top 40 or whatever. But throughout the day, you still had an actual person there in the radio station playing the 'records' and commercials.

Then, they moved to having one person do their show at 30 radio stations across the country. The Clear Channelling of American radio. This was NORMALLY only for middays at the start. Because they still saw value in a local AM Drive, PM Drive and evening time slot.

Then.. Evenings went.. Followed by PM drive.. And throughout, they found that they could air a non-local morning drive show. Hence the rise of John Boy and Billy and Bob and Tom and the like.

Howard Stern was NEVER a money saving venture, though. His show was expensive as crap to carry.

Amyways.. Looking at a 'local' station here.. The top station in Greenville, at least, at times. 92.5 WESC and 100.5 WSSL flip back and forth usually.. WESC is tops during NASCAR, WSSL other times.

They just replaced their local morning show about 2 years ago.. Firing someone who had been there for 20+ years.

I haven't listened to local radio in 10 years now, probably. I generally stick with 80's on 8 (Miss Martha Quinn who left for iHeartRadio a few years back) Classic Rewind and the like. If local radio were.. You know.. LOCAL.. I'd listen.
In my area there are a few independent stations. They tend to play Cajun or zydeco music as well as host local area live music shows and talk. Nothing national. With the growing Hispanic community there are also Spanish language stations that are still local only.

Old 05-02-2022, 08:21 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,175,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
At one time radio stations played vinyl records, flip sides of singles, and sometimes whole albums. Today the music is electronic. When was the switch from vinyl to cassette, to CD, to electronic? Do any of today’s major stations still play request or do they merely give lip service if a caller actually gets through? Are today’s radio stations more like a Pandora playing a preselect group of artists and genre instead of what fans want to hear via request?
Not sure. I worked at a few radio stations in and around Chicago in the early 90s and it was mostly CDs then. But we did sometimes play vinyl and even cassettes. When I finally got out of radio in the 2000s the talk was converting to computers which sadly is what radio studios now all look like. A bunch of computers

Old 05-02-2022, 08:28 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
Quote:

That kind of makes me sad. Grew up in the upstate listening to 660 in Dixie. Used to have the local fix the freeze contest in the fall.

But yep, today I don't listen to the modern generic radio. Just doesn't nothing for me. Wish they still had good old local country stations playing old fashioned radio. There was just something about listening to those songs on AM with the windows rolled down and the crickets chirping.

Old 07-18-2022, 08:36 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,175,994 times
Quote:

We had a show at a college radio station and we played cassettes a bit

Old 08-22-2022, 05:25 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,523,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
"Are today’s radio stations more like a Pandora playing a preselect group of artists and genre instead of what fans want to hear via request?"

Yes. Corporate greed ramped up in the late 70s early 80s. I can't recall the last time I saw or heard a request line even mentioned!

You won't hear or see anything like this guy anytime soon.
In some cities, Sunday night radio is when you get a chance to call into the radio station and request songs.
For example, here in San Diego you can call in to Magic 92.5 during the Xavier the XMAN Crusin Classic show and request your favorite oldies songs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio