U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 03:59 PM

4,538 posts, read 7,983,144 times

Advertisements

Do you have an HD radio? I have three, two in the house and one in the car. There are two advantages with them. Some radio stations have one or two alternate stations, and the sound quality from an HD station is superb. There is one station in WashingtonDC WAMU 88.5 FM that really takes advantage of the technology with three distinct stations (HD-1, HD-2, etc) with excellent programing. And there are a few other stations that have second, commercial free streams with alternative music. Our classical station has only one channel but it's HD and the sound quality is fantastic. All in all, there has not been as much use of this technology as could be. What's happening with this in your town?

HD Radio FAQ

HD Radio: Tuners, Receivers, Stereo, Recepter, HD Car Connect Radio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 08:18 AM

654 posts, read 3,033,402 times
Stations in my area always brag how they are broadcasting in HD, but currently I do not have an HD radio. Though the sound quality may be better, you will still end up losing the station once you drive far enough out of the broadcasting area.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:33 PM

25 posts, read 91,213 times
I love the HD Radio Feeds in Atlanta. I have a Dual XHD6425 Car Stereo that has HD Radio that I installed myself - easy peasy! I particularly like the 90.1 WABE-FM HD1 and HD3 because of all the NPR programming.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:54 PM

1,335 posts, read 2,834,013 times
I just picked up one about a month ago. When I'm close enough to a bigger city, I like quite a few of the subchannels - usually blues, 80s, or smooth jazz. Stuff you wouldn't normally get on the regular band. Problem is I'm at the fringe of about five different markets.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,415 posts, read 32,221,338 times
I've had one for a couple of years. There just isn't enough additional programming in my market that interests me enough to inspire me to pick up more than one.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:20 AM

4,925 posts, read 9,484,246 times
Don't think we have anyone broadcasting in it locally and I'm either out of or on the fringe of any place that would...but I do have one question.

Isn't the sound quality of HD radio pretty much entirely limited to the quality of your speakers? If your speakers are mediocre, can you really tell much difference in sound quality?

Old 01-08-2010, 02:04 PM

1,335 posts, read 2,834,013 times
It is a little more noticeable. Even with regular speakers, not high end, AM can come across clearer like FM. FM can sound a bit like CD. It is a bit better yes, but higher end equipment does mean better sound.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:27 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,484,246 times
Thanks for the response. I figured that (to me) the most noticeable difference would be on the AM side.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:16 PM

4,538 posts, read 7,983,144 times
I listen to an AM station which broadcasts in HD and you'd never know it's not FM from the rich sound. Also listen to a classical FM HD station and the sound is amazingly good. These are both main channels. There are also a few things I like to listen to on other stations' HD sub channels such as a rock station that broadcasts a feed from erockster.com on their sub channel HD2.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:25 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,758,210 times
I do, the Sony XDR-F1HD. I didn't buy it just because it was capable of decoding HD Radio signals, but mainly because it is an excellent all-around FM (and AM) radio. With it and my outdoor antenna, I can (in the summer at least) pick up from Duluth, MN stations strongly from Wausau, International Falls, Mankato, and Alexandria, and weakly from as far as Waukon, IA, Green Bay, WI, Thunder Bay, ON, and Jamestown, ND. That's normal reception. I've gotten out to as far as Florida and Arizona with special conditions.

Duluth only has three HD stations, one of which multicasts (and it airs another local radio station most of the time on its HD2 channel!). I can usually pick up Minneapolis (again, at least in the summer) FM signals in HD. I've enjoyed the comedy channel KXXR used to run on its HD2, as well as the dance channel that KDWB runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio