U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2013, 12:04 PM

3,516 posts, read 5,091,071 times

Advertisements

I almost exclusively listen to NPR since my CD player broke. I much prefer the arts and culture shows like Fresh Air, Wait wait don't tell me, says you, this American life, car talk, and tapestry. I know not all of those are NPR productions, but that's where I get them all from.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 02:41 PM

6,503 posts, read 311,698 times
Diane Rehm...my favorite show!

I listen to NPR music every day on laptop...jazz, classical, folk, celtic, electronic, rock...it's all there, from live fm radio stations, taped streaming to NPR music programs ie JazzSet, Live at Village Vanguard, Mountain Stage etc.

ltic, electronic, pop etc. All are offered, whether it is on NPR programs or fm stations listed on NPR
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I gladly contribute to NPR but I hate Pledge Drive times.
Listen to Diane Rehm (sp) every morning. in fact i started fixing supper at 10 every morning an putting it in the fridge so i can cook and listen at the same time. Many times I will find my husband sitting in the car in the garage to finish listening to something great on NPR. I do the same thing. I think it is a real national treasure and it has contributed so much to my education. Sometimes I listen and then run inside to google the topic and end up buying several books on the subject.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:27 PM

7,535 posts, read 5,594,129 times
I like NPR and used to listen to it all the time while I worked for the news and interesting stories about interesting people, but over the last few years all they seem to talk about is the middle east and the poor people there and how much we should be helping them etc.. etc.... Maybe that is true but half of them hate america and what about other people in poor areas of the world? How about the poor folks here in America that are trying to jsut get by? What really got me a few weeks back was one of the weekend show hosts just went off on gun ownership. I thought they were supposed to be neutral but he sure was bashing the legal firearm owners and stammering how something needs to be done. Also NPR seems very pro Obama where I feel they should be taking more of a neutral stance to report the news without bias.
I do love prairie home companion though and it is on in 30 minutes!

Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 PM

463 posts, read 331,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
I've known of NPR for years, just never really got into it after I turned off the radio "for good" over a decade ago due to the proliferation of advertisements and canned deejays/announcers.

I started listening a few months ago, after I accidentally set it on my morning alarm clock. Lately I've been laying in bed from 6-7AM just listening to the Morning Edition - random news bits from around the world. I particularly enjoy the special stories - for example, a few days ago was a story about a bank in Pennsylvania that gives loans to Amish farmers who have absolutely no collateral, credit history, records, etc. I enjoy the stories about particular subjects that you don't really hear about on mainstream broadcasts. Another story was about making percussive music using your body - no instruments, just clapping, tapping, etc.

Some of the broadcast is regional, as here in Southern New Mexico there is a bilingual (English/Spanish) music show on weeknights that I really like because I can hear something spoken in English, then Spanish. Helps with my Spanish studies. I've been listening to it every day now while I'm home in the early mornings and late evenings. I get a kick out of my local news announcer - as for quite some time I concluded it was a very young-sounding guy with a zombie-like monotone accent until I found out from someone that knows "him" that "he's" actually a big time feminist lesbian (this is uncommon in Southern NM). I couldn't tell the difference.

What I do not like is the evening Jazz music shows - Jazz just makes my skin crawl. And I don't care for Prairie Home Companion. The religious comments turn me off, so I turn it off.

What I like the most is NO ADVERTISEMENTS. I'm thinking about donating money to NPR to keep it going.

Comments?
Over the past three years since moving back to San Diego, I have immensely enjoyed KPBS. They do have some interesting programming a lot of the time, bu also, I just enjoy zoning in on the voices, which are soothing but still sophisticated, in my opinion. I love the "NPR Sound".

I sort of get that same vibe from CBC Radio One, but I'm not sure that's public.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:23 AM

9,152 posts, read 3,685,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
I've known of NPR for years, just never really got into it after I turned off the radio "for good" over a decade ago due to the proliferation of advertisements and canned deejays/announcers.

I started listening a few months ago, after I accidentally set it on my morning alarm clock. Lately I've been laying in bed from 6-7AM just listening to the Morning Edition - random news bits from around the world. I particularly enjoy the special stories - for example, a few days ago was a story about a bank in Pennsylvania that gives loans to Amish farmers who have absolutely no collateral, credit history, records, etc. I enjoy the stories about particular subjects that you don't really hear about on mainstream broadcasts. Another story was about making percussive music using your body - no instruments, just clapping, tapping, etc.

Some of the broadcast is regional, as here in Southern New Mexico there is a bilingual (English/Spanish) music show on weeknights that I really like because I can hear something spoken in English, then Spanish. Helps with my Spanish studies. I've been listening to it every day now while I'm home in the early mornings and late evenings. I get a kick out of my local news announcer - as for quite some time I concluded it was a very young-sounding guy with a zombie-like monotone accent until I found out from someone that knows "him" that "he's" actually a big time feminist lesbian (this is uncommon in Southern NM). I couldn't tell the difference.

What I do not like is the evening Jazz music shows - Jazz just makes my skin crawl. And I don't care for Prairie Home Companion. The religious comments turn me off, so I turn it off.

What I like the most is NO ADVERTISEMENTS. I'm thinking about donating money to NPR to keep it going.

Comments?
Jazz makes your skin crawl? For me it would be a lot of rap and hip hop and some of the incomprehensible alternative rock. Jazz is a breath of fresh air compared to those genres. Anyways, if we all agreed, the world would be a boring place.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:55 AM

5,170 posts, read 3,393,093 times
I listen to car talk (over 25 years) sometimes This American Life, and, shamed as I am to admit, once in a blue moon that horrible program from Lake Woebegone (sorry - senior moment) Oh and Wait Wait Dont Tell Me which I find highly entertaining. Used to listen a lot more, but I was young and PBS was more informative back then

Old 03-14-2013, 11:09 AM

13,557 posts, read 14,402,463 times
I'm a fan and supporter of NPR. I love Morning Edition and All Things Considered. I hate Prairie Home Companion, but just turn it off when it comes home.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:58 PM

463 posts, read 331,760 times
I love that Ira Flatow is back, with this Science Friday show. I never really listened to it before. But I remember him from Newton's Apple, when I was a kid. He's a great presenter!

I hate the SciFri theme music, though. So sterile and depressing!

Old 03-25-2013, 02:28 PM

12,411 posts, read 14,996,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I like NPR and used to listen to it all the time while I worked for the news and interesting stories about interesting people, but over the last few years all they seem to talk about is the middle east and the poor people there and how much we should be helping them etc.. etc.... Maybe that is true but half of them hate america and what about other people in poor areas of the world? How about the poor folks here in America that are trying to jsut get by? What really got me a few weeks back was one of the weekend show hosts just went off on gun ownership. I thought they were supposed to be neutral but he sure was bashing the legal firearm owners and stammering how something needs to be done. Also NPR seems very pro Obama where I feel they should be taking more of a neutral stance to report the news without bias.
I do love prairie home companion though and it is on in 30 minutes!
There are some issues that seem one sided. There are a lot of liberals who own guns. Many of them are also members of the NRA, which is why no politician who wants to keep his job espouses an anti gun bill. Bloomberg is paying for such advertising, but he's on his way out, isn't he?

I enjoy NPR for the reasons given, but also because they will sometimes carry stories that in no way have anything to do with politics, and will do them in depth.

I think Prairie Home Companion is a lot more palatable and a lot less religious than it used to be, 'though I find the folksie presentation off putting.

One thing that I dislike is the BBC taking over in my area in the evening. I like the BBC, but I used to leave the station on at night as I fall asleep only to be awakened with someone in a horrible foriegn accent who I could not understand rasping on about some heart wrenching issue in their country.

My radio doesn't get the best reception which only magnifies the problem.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 PM

1,749 posts, read 1,206,410 times
I love NPR -
The Story
Diane Reem
All Things Considered
BBC News

It is so nice to hear something reported in depth not in 50 second sound bytes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio