U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 12:20 AM

7,769 posts, read 6,203,937 times

Advertisements

Can't listen to it in the car. It puts me too sleep with how they talk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 03:26 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,796,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
NPR sounds great but i cant seem to find it up here in Montreal
These are the closest stations I could find:

Vermont Public Radio
WVPS FM 107.9

Northeast Public Radio
WCEL FM 91.9

North Country Public Radio
WXLU FM 88.1

Vermont Public Radio Classical
WOXR FM 90.9

Hope this helps!

Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 AM

30,900 posts, read 35,121,810 times
Great ,i'll give em a try..

Old 10-31-2013, 06:47 PM

8,675 posts, read 4,776,340 times
i always use radio-locator to find / id stations:

Canadian Radio Stations Sorted by Province

Old 11-01-2013, 01:36 AM

5,878 posts, read 4,898,062 times
I didn't until I stumbled upon a show where this delightful woman was reading chapters from new books and I just left it on... this particular book was about two women with the same name who thought they both on a house... I left it on and heard some other shows that made me a fan. Also listened to the two mayoral candidates for the city of St Paul argue on the air.

This is Wisconsin and Minnesota public radio I was listening too.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:58 AM

8,089 posts, read 6,594,298 times
Yes as they are the only intelligent news source available but they do need to be used with caution as there is a definite liberal left political bent in their commentary. Funny they deny this when callers comment on this aspect.

Last edited by Felix C; 11-01-2013 at 07:17 AM..

Old 11-01-2013, 06:38 AM

28,906 posts, read 42,521,953 times
Mostly. But, even though I'm a split-ticket voter, I do get tired of the biases they build into their stories. It seems as if almost every single news story is built around either the results of a Federal program or the need for a Federal program, often in defiance of common sense.

I'll give you an instance. A few months ago, I was listening to a story about a struggling artist in a small town in Wyoming. This guy was barely able to keep the wolf from the door. And somehow, the narrator managed to work in the notion that this artist wouldn't be struggling if there was more Federal funding for artists like him.

Hello? This guy was in a dinky Wyoming town. Just not much of an art market there. I mean, if I opened an upscale French restaurant in a isolated Wyoming town with a population of 1000, I'd struggle. Or an ad agency. Or any number of other businesses. But the narrator ignored the realities of the market, essentially stating that we should subsidize artists who set up shop out in the middle of nowhere.

Another instance? During the ACA debate, they decided to do a story on three uninsured Americans. One guy had lost his job but, instead of using the very affordable COBRA program, decided instead to blow that money on a gym membership. And I'm supposed to feel sorry for the guy.

This kind of narrative seeps into a lot of their stories. Do yourself a favor and start listening. You'll soon realize how prevalent it really is.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:46 AM

5,878 posts, read 4,898,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Yes as they are the only intelligent news source available but they do need to be used with caution as there is a definite liberal left political bent in their commentary. Funny they deny this when callers comment on this aspect.

I was going to call up and suggest to the candidates for mayor that if they wanted to retain the young people in the twin cities and grow they should get their state to legalize marijuana, that would be a big step. I wouldn't call myself a liberal, more like a person of common sense who sees the writing on the wall and can see past the propaganda.... though I've turned more progressive than I was in my youth, I'm still more on the social-libertarian, fiscal conservative side.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:55 PM

30,900 posts, read 35,121,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I heard a few talk shows last night that a previous poster recommended, thanks Rob.
It was a refreshing change from the usual rightwing insanity i've been subjected to.There was no political topics discussed last night.
Felix i'm curious as to why you need to post a warning about the possibility that some commentary might be considered liberal left leaning,Are you implying that merely listening to a left wing commentary has the power to turn a righty into a lefty?

Old 11-01-2013, 02:57 PM

8,089 posts, read 6,594,298 times
No. The information is well presented and one can believe the viewpoint is objective and has been well considered from all sides prior to presenting but it is not and has attributes as mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio