U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 05:12 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,587,587 times

Advertisements

Very few shows are any good. It gets left wing leaning and liberal very fast on some others, and yet on others they wouldn't know the truth if it bit them in the butt, so I don't listen much anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 10:45 PM

28,340 posts, read 24,939,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Very few shows are any good. It gets left wing leaning and liberal very fast on some others, and yet on others they wouldn't know the truth if it bit them in the butt, so I don't listen much anymore.
Its hard to find a station that provides both sides of information, left & right! However if they would just report news and information honestly ~ then it falls onto one side or the other without their propaganda. Truth in broadcasting is hard to find anymore.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,257,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Maybe cause I mainly listen to the morning and afternoon/evening time news programs, but I don't hear that stereotypical left wing leaning liberal. Granted, there is a touch there, but not to any annoying sense to my ears.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:10 PM

2,130 posts, read 3,788,726 times
I really can't say that I do like NPR, and almost never listen to it unless it's the only station I can pick up, and if it's playing classical music.

Our federal government seriously needs to reign in federal spending, and we need to demand the return of the 10th Amendment to our Constitution. National security is a far greater federal responsibility than providing merely another information source of dubious quality--at taxpayer expense--that's gotten eclipsed by other radio programs and the Internet.

NPR, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, and PBS should be defunded and made to compete in the private sector IMO.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 PM

15,091 posts, read 13,581,653 times
I love NPR. "All Things Considered" is my favorite program.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,265 times
Not everything is political. Liberal means tolerant of different views. If public radio and TV are liberal then that is what America is all about, being tolerant? That some would judge NPR programs with a myopic view is just simply sad. I think NPR news and other programs are great whether I agree with the views of the Americans on those shows or not. It's great that they have the broadcast outlets to say what they think. And to have only one place (NPR) left that has 18 foreign bureaus. 1st hand reports are better than speculation, assumptions and bias.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:04 AM

11,798 posts, read 20,255,348 times
I like NPR quite a bit. It needs to be there, just as a counterbalance to the Limbaughs and Faux Newses of the world. I don't always agree with the views expressed or find it interesting, but it often hits on both counts.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:18 PM

2,130 posts, read 3,788,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I like NPR quite a bit. It needs to be there, just as a counterbalance to the Limbaughs and Faux Newses of the world. I don't always agree with the views expressed or find it interesting, but it often hits on both counts.
I don't disagree with you. My bone of contention is the fact that NPR is propped up by taxpayer dollars. Now think if Sarah Palin were given her own show on NPR! Hey! Maybe THAT'S what we need to do as a first step toward fiscal sanity in our country. Get Sarah Palin her own show on NPR! The Left will want to strip it of taxpayer dollars in a hummingbird's heartbeat!

Old 01-20-2010, 01:57 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,533,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
I don't disagree with you. My bone of contention is the fact that NPR is propped up by taxpayer dollars. Now think if Sarah Palin were given her own show on NPR! Hey! Maybe THAT'S what we need to do as a first step toward fiscal sanity in our country. Get Sarah Palin her own show on NPR! The Left will want to strip it of taxpayer dollars in a hummingbird's heartbeat!

Quote:
NPR supports its operations through a combination of membership dues and programming fees from over 860 independent radio stations, sponsorship from private foundations and corporations, and revenue from the sales of books, CDs, and merchandise. A very small percentage -- between one percent to two percent of NPR's annual budget -- comes from competitive grants sought by NPR from federally funded organizations, such as the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, National Science Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts.

Published reports in Worth Magazine and Consumers Digest cited NPR as a leading U.S. nonprofit charity because of the organization's program spending efficiency, high level of private support, and outstanding public service.
NPR : Annual Reports, Audited Financial Statements, and Form 990s (http://www.npr.org/about/privatesupport.html - broken link)

Old 01-21-2010, 08:52 PM

5,148 posts, read 3,856,421 times
I used to listen to Planet Money but have since stopped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio