U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:44 PM

3,455 posts, read 3,848,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
...and why does it pay the bills better?
Because it get's high ratings, especially among males aged 35+. If you put a conservative talk show against a liberal or non-political talk show the conservative show will have a larger audience, much larger depending on the host.

If you are happy with the staus quo it's hard to understand, but people who don't like Obama and the direction the country is headed crave hearing conservative talk. Even if the polls show otherwise, conservatives often feel they are alone and isolated in their beliefs and it is comforting to hear others who agree with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 05:10 PM

12,411 posts, read 14,974,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Because it get's high ratings, especially among males aged 35+. If you put a conservative talk show against a liberal or non-political talk show the conservative show will have a larger audience, much larger depending on the host.

If you are happy with the staus quo it's hard to understand, but people who don't like Obama and the direction the country is headed crave hearing conservative talk. Even if the polls show otherwise, conservatives often feel they are alone and isolated in their beliefs and it is comforting to hear others who agree with them.
People on the radio criticize Obama, but he is much more Conservative than many people like. Remember 'drill, baby, drill'? That's what he's doing.
Remember not wanting socialized health care? Well, he dropped that option, didn't he?
Richard Nixon would be thought of as a liberal today. He wanted a national health care system, and look at Eisenhower, warning of the military industrial complex.
Republicans today are much further right than they were years back, and so are Democrats.

The thing is, years back we had the equal time amendment. Radio was biased then, but not as much as it now is because there were lines that could not as easily be stepped over and even if it were tokenism, they would have to have some sort of representation of the other side.
Because it was difficult for programmers to balance issues and get two sides of a controversy to air at once, radio covered a lot more topics than just politics. It was more varied and interesting, I think.

I disliked the craziness of liberalism in the 60's and equally dislike the bias towards the right in the media today. It is boring and does a disservice to the public.

The guy who I think says it like it is is Dylan Rattigan(sp?). I rarely hear someone to tell off a guest when they are trying to spin these days - from the left or the right. I have heard him have a guest on and tell them, "you obviously don't listen to this show and confuse me with some others you've been on. It doesn't work that way here. When you can tell us the truth rather than propagandize we'll invite you back on." He's great. He makes financial issues understandable, which I like.

WABC, late at night, has attempted to schedule a more moderate voice,[SIZE=2] Doug McIntyre's Red Eye Radio, [/SIZE]which I listen to at times.

I missed Curtis Sliwa only when Ron Kuby was on. They were a good balance for each other.

I am sorry that we did not get a revival of the equal time amendment, both left and right were against it, which tells me that, it would have provided the public with a needed service.

It's our job to seek the truth behind an issue and it's hard to do that if your time is limited and your radio is only giving you one point of view.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:49 PM

3,359 posts, read 5,970,781 times
I wish I could get some of the shows you get...but all I get down here in Florida is hardcore Republican radio...angry conservative radio...Obama bashing 24/7....it just seems disingenious after a while...
It's like their all reading from a template...and your right...it does us, the public a disservace to simply attack one side all the time...it's almost insulting that they think we're all that stupid...

I wish I had my own radio show where I'd talk about issues...and on my show you could never use terms like liberal or conservative or Dem or Rep...issues only...as Americans...no propaganda at all...

If my guest had a point to make, they would have to make it independant of any party affiliation...
And let the idea stand on it's own merit...

Old 04-05-2010, 08:07 AM

Yes. I remember the times during the equal time amendment. You got some interesting debates going sometimes, and the hosts would at least have to pretend they had no axe to grind, either way.

A lot of people are busy all day and come home exhausted and don't want to spend every spare moment listening from one news/information station to the next in order to create their own equally balanced media, so it would be a public service to at least attempt to force fair broadcasting.

There are out and out lies aired on some of these stations and nobody calls them on it. I don't know if they, themselves, catch these things because the hosts are not getting some of their news from unbiased sources.

CNN is respected for their straightforward reporting.

You know what also is annoying to me? When hosts (usually on tv) or 'presenters' on news programs (there is so little real reporting going on) mispronounce words. I mean, they are supposed to look over the copy before they present it, no? Then, they also have some back room person who spells things out phonetically for them. Sometimes their sentence structure is peculiar, too. I mean, these are just talking heads. They do no original work, it is stretching to call them journalists. All they have to do is look pretty and speak well, and I would certainly sacrifice some of the 'pretty' for enhancing the speaking bit.

Then, there are times when I hear a news item reported in the middle of the night and it is never repeated. I often leave the radio on at night. I don't know if there was an error or if someone pulled strings to remove a story or if, for the at least APPEARANCE of having a free press, they want to say they did carry a certain story - so they mention it once in the dead of night.

I really think that it is a sham democracy when we don't have a free press, and if we only hear one side of an issue our country is going down the tubes. This is bigger than Republican or Democrat. It is an issue to preserve our country, something we all should want.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:45 AM

4,925 posts, read 8,997,264 times
Psst...we don't live in a democracy...it's a republic.

They are different.

Not a big fan of so-called "equal time"...kind of goes against the libertarian in me.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:18 AM

Ok, a democratic republic.

It's still the same principle.

Yes, the libertarians seem to have a few seriously questionable beliefs. If you can overlook those, it's a fine philosophy.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:21 AM

3,359 posts, read 5,970,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Psst...we don't live in a democracy...it's a republic.

They are different.

Not a big fan of so-called "equal time"...kind of goes against the libertarian in me.
Call it what you want bud...but right now for instance, where I live...I feel like I'm living in propaganda pre WW2 Japane or Germany...or Italy...

I mean when I turn my dial...I get Neil Boortz...flat tax, fair tax, Obama bad...healthcare bad Democrats baaaad....

Then I flip the dial and Laura Ingrem is on the other channel...Obama bad, Obama evil,....then after that Glen Beck...

Glen Beck: Listen to me folks...stock up on water, stock up on food...the end is near, Obamas in coherts with the red chinese army and Russia...and the mexicans...and their planning to take over America in weeks...

Then after that Mark Levin...

Mark Levin: Obamas bad, evil, and a communist, Nancy Polski is on Russias payroll....liberalism is a desease folks!

And then Michael Savage...

Michael Savage: I love Spagetti!! and meatballs...and my dog Teddy...
Play some music...turn it off!!...Obamas the new Hitler folks!!
Bush is a puppet!! Rush Limbaugh and Fox news steals my ideas!!
I've been banned from Britian!!....now play some more music....

(Michael Savage is like bi-polar or something)

Anyways..my point is all day long...on AM radio you just get bombarded with the same angry attack the President, all is bad doom and gloom stuff over and over...it's corrosive and destructive to moral...

Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 PM

38,691 posts, read 82,754,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
Call it what you want bud...but right now for instance, where I live...I feel like I'm living in propaganda pre WW2 Japane or Germany...or Italy...

I mean when I turn my dial...I get Neil Boortz...flat tax, fair tax, Obama bad...healthcare bad Democrats baaaad....

Then I flip the dial and Laura Ingrem is on the other channel...Obama bad, Obama evil,....then after that Glen Beck...

Glen Beck: Listen to me folks...stock up on water, stock up on food...the end is near, Obamas in coherts with the red chinese army and Russia...and the mexicans...and their planning to take over America in weeks...

Then after that Mark Levin...

Mark Levin: Obamas bad, evil, and a communist, Nancy Polski is on Russias payroll....liberalism is a desease folks!

And then Michael Savage...

Michael Savage: I love Spagetti!! and meatballs...and my dog Teddy...
Play some music...turn it off!!...Obamas the new Hitler folks!!
Bush is a puppet!! Rush Limbaugh and Fox news steals my ideas!!
I've been banned from Britian!!....now play some more music....

(Michael Savage is like bi-polar or something)

Anyways..my point is all day long...on AM radio you just get bombarded with the same angry attack the President, all is bad doom and gloom stuff over and over...it's corrosive and destructive to moral...
You honestly can't tell the difference between a free media with strong, vocal opposition to the governing administration and party and autocracies that owned the media, controlled the message, stifled opposition viewpoints, and used this complete control to beat the drum for a catastrophic war that nearly destroyed their respective nations?

All the more reason to make sure those voices get a free and clear path to whatever audience they can persuade to listen to them.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:47 PM

28,332 posts, read 24,912,072 times
At this time we have a government the best government that money can buy. With all of the corporate lobbyists in tangled with our representative they the corporations own this government. The corporations control the media and thus the propaganda is vastly heard on the air with political views from the right and the left. The problem is media propaganda machine is 90 % (+ or -) conservative right. A vast nation with little at best views and voices from another side provides an unbalanced amount of propaganda for listeners and viewer of the media.

Benito Mussolini provided Italy with a government under the control of corporations, thus a Fascist government was born. Seems our media tends to follow the needs of the corporations today and we have little free voice of the people any longer.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:19 AM

9,365 posts, read 16,560,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I wish I could get some of the shows you get
Go to streamingradioguide.com and you can get any show you want. It consolidates radio stations to one site, like one stop shopping and you go down the list of talk show hosts you want to listen to and you can listen on your computer. You can select radio stations by genre...talk/news, sports, music etc., and then there are subcategories of talk stations by political affiliation as well. Then you get an alphabetical list of all hosts and you can listen via the station that carries them around the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio