U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 03:06 PM

466 posts, read 1,202,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Basically, I would like Sirius/XM to survive, because I would hate to think that terrestrial radio would be the only radio option...
The more smartphones and home-based devices that are used to stream music via listener-supported internet "stations" and for-profit customizable streams from companies like Pandora, the less terrestrial stations will matter. Actually this is already happening since MP3 players came on the scene back in the early 2000s, enabling their owners to set up their own "personal" station wherever they happen to be.

I grew up with listening to radio and discovered a lot of great music that way up til the late 90s, so don't want to see terrestrial stations (over-the-air or OTAs) disappear, also partly because all you need to listen is an inexpensive analog FM radio. But I and many others will continue to ignore them if they continue with their playlists created by using spreadsheets, economic forecasts and other souless & sterile money-based selection methods and employing unfunny/jabbering/scripted DJs many of which that don't even live in the city where the music is being broadcast, and so I can easily see the whole industry being reduced to nothing but the butt of jokes among music fans, most of which IMO will never reach for the button or icon labeled "radio" on their device of choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 04:26 PM

3,538 posts, read 2,079,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
The more smartphones and home-based devices that are used to stream music via listener-supported internet "stations" and for-profit customizable streams from companies like Pandora, the less terrestrial stations will matter. Actually this is already happening since MP3 players came on the scene back in the early 2000s, enabling their owners to set up their own "personal" station wherever they happen to be.

I grew up with listening to radio and discovered a lot of great music that way up til the late 90s, so don't want to see terrestrial stations (over-the-air or OTAs) disappear, also partly because all you need to listen is an inexpensive analog FM radio. But I and many others will continue to ignore them if they continue with their playlists created by using spreadsheets, economic forecasts and other souless & sterile money-based selection methods and employing unfunny/jabbering/scripted DJs many of which that don't even live in the city where the music is being broadcast, and so I can easily see the whole industry being reduced to nothing but the butt of jokes among music fans, most of which IMO will never reach for the button or icon labeled "radio" on their device of choice.
These are the exact reasons I pretty much said I would hate for terrestrial radio to be my only choice...and this is the direction they have been heading now for years--even as competiton has changed, they are still doing this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio