Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2008, 10:32 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else besides me think that The Ride is the best Classic Rock terrestrial radio station out there? They are in a lot of cities and play things you never hear on any other stations. I don't have XM in my wife's car so when I drive it I always listen to it.

The other day they played an Iron Butterfly song that wasn't In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 09:30 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
I never heard of it. You said the station was in several markets I doubt there is any good stations of any kind out there anymore. All radio stations have one format: Per hour: 6 songs, 40 minutes of car commercials screaming in your ear, and 10 minutes of DJ or DJs talking about nothing interesting.

When I travel and rent a car, they usually have XM radio. I notice even XM has commericals now. All screaming BIGGEST BEST GREATEST SALE YET (I guess all the other sales were fake) and I have to just hit the button. I find myself with my finger on the scan button more then on the steering wheel.

All radio sucks today. When they do play a song it will just be the same 20 play set every day. I dont know whats so hard about playing something different? Its all computerized. Just hit another damn button you radio stations !!

Old 12-21-2008, 12:53 PM

810 posts, read 2,291,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Does anyone else besides me think that The Ride is the best Classic Rock terrestrial radio station out there? They are in a lot of cities and play things you never hear on any other stations. I don't have XM in my wife's car so when I drive it I always listen to it.

The other day they played an Iron Butterfly song that wasn't In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.
Love it!! We have it here in Charlotte, 95.7. They just don't play the standards, they take advantage of a bands catalog. Heard a rare one from Billy Joel yesterday followed w/ a rare cut of Wish You Were Here live. Also a never heard recent version of You Really Got Me by Ray Davies that was all jazzed up. They are good at stacking the tracks w/ rare stuff and not getting unlistenable like XM 40 Deep Tracks can at times.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Anybody remember Joey Reynolds on WKBW in Buffalo, early 60's? Rod Roddy, later the announcer on daytime game shows, was also a DJ there in those days. WKBW had a powerfull directional signal to the east, and it was the top rated nightime station in Albany and Boson.

http://rockradioscrapbook.ca/air1964.html

In the above link, scroll down to the second profile, then click "listern to Joey Reynolds here". This is the aircheck wheer he plays a Kent cigarette ad, then later tells kinds to smoke.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-21-2008 at 03:00 PM..

Old 12-22-2008, 08:55 AM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times
You should try 3wk on the internet, they have an outstanding classic rock library.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,059 times
Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post

Is there any way to get it on the internet? I can't get it hear in Georgia

Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 AM

738 posts, read 1,883,831 times
Growing up near CHI-TOWN, there were some really great stations, always played off the wall tracs- The best. Don't know of any stations out there anymore but will def check out THE RIDE

Old 05-08-2009, 10:30 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,640,761 times
I surely miss the old rock station, WNEW FM in NY. They were great back in the 70's. They had DJ's you could actually enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio