U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 08:04 PM

772 posts, read 1,017,522 times

Advertisements

Indie 103.1 will cease broadcasting over this frequency effective immediately. Because of changes in the radio industry and the way radio audiences are measured, stations in this market are being forced to play too much Britney, Puffy and alternative music that is neither new nor cutting edge. Due to these challenges, Indie 103.1 was recently faced with only one option to play the corporate radio game.
We have decided not to play that game any longer. Rather than changing the sound, spirit, and soul of what has made Indie 103.1 great Indie 103.1 will bid farewell to the terrestrial airwaves and take an alternative course.
This could only be done on the Internet, a place where rules do not apply and where new music thrives; be it grunge, punk, or alternative - simply put, only the best music.
For those of you with a computer at home or at work, log on to Indie 103.1 | Indie Home and listen to the new Indie 103.1 - which is really the old Indie 103.1, not the version of Indie 103.1 we are removing from the broadcast airwaves.

Will anyone else miss one of independent radio bright moments of this decade?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 09:48 AM

2,753 posts, read 4,515,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmastersteve View Post
Indie 103.1 will cease broadcasting over this frequency effective immediately. Because of changes in the radio industry and the way radio audiences are measured, stations in this market are being forced to play too much Britney, Puffy and alternative music that is neither new nor cutting edge. Due to these challenges, Indie 103.1 was recently faced with only one option — to play the corporate radio game.
We have decided not to play that game any longer. Rather than changing the sound, spirit, and soul of what has made Indie 103.1 great Indie 103.1 will bid farewell to the terrestrial airwaves and take an alternative course.
This could only be done on the Internet, a place where rules do not apply and where new music thrives; be it grunge, punk, or alternative - simply put, only the best music.
For those of you with a computer at home or at work, log on to Indie 103.1 | Indie Home and listen to the new Indie 103.1 - which is really the old Indie 103.1, not the version of Indie 103.1 we are removing from the broadcast airwaves.

Will anyone else miss one of independent radio bright moments of this decade?

Yes! I will miss it. I wasn't onto it that long, I'd stopped listening to the radio for the exact reasons you cite. The oldies station in L.A. used to be good, but I gave up on it when they seem to be stuck on a loop that consisted of only about 25 songs like, Louie Louie, The Letter, and I Saw her standing There ... Radio is like everything else in this country it seems, over commercialized to the point that is ruined. A month or two ago I was on one of these threads, can't remember which, where I mentioned that I liked 103.1 FM because it was different and for that reason wouldn't last. I'm sorry I was right.

Their playlist was unpredictable. Led one minute, then Coldplay, the Sly & the Family Stone, then something new that I'd never heard but usually that I'd usually like. And that was why I would listen to the radio at all, to hear songs I'd never heard before, or to hear an obscure one that I hadn't heard in years. I knew it was too good to be true.

Unfortunately, as the saying goes, I think it's going to have to get much worse before it gets better. Not until even the bored and the boring get sick of hearing the same sh*t over and over again will things change, if then. What a friggin' drag this cookie cutter time in history is. Seems more and more, you have to carve out your own little corner of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio