U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:43 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,186,485 times

Advertisements

No matter how much people want to deny it, if Howard Stern does not renew his contract with Sirius/XM, the entire company will be no more. 60% of their entire subscribership listen to Howard, me being one. I listen to the entire show while on my mail route. I cannot even remember when I have taken it off channel 100 or 101. It fills my day because I love listening to filthy stuff...lol. If Howard does not renew, I am done. I guess after that I will listen to ALOT of books on cd, because if I CANNOT listen to regular radio. Regular radio plays the same 10 songs over and over and talk radio has a commercial every 8 minutes. Sirius/XM is barely hanging on by a thread as it is. Howard will be the deciding factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 05:27 PM

4,897 posts, read 13,200,777 times
I canceled my XM in December. Wasn't worth the price for the 30 minutes per day I'm in the car. I only listened to the music channels....no talk, no sports. With portable mp3 player devices, it's much easier to make a playlist and plug the mp3 player into my car stereo.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:06 PM

8,260 posts, read 6,670,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
No matter how much people want to deny it, if Howard Stern does not renew his contract with Sirius/XM, the entire company will be no more. 60% of their entire subscribership listen to Howard, me being one. I listen to the entire show while on my mail route. I cannot even remember when I have taken it off channel 100 or 101. It fills my day because I love listening to filthy stuff...lol. If Howard does not renew, I am done. I guess after that I will listen to ALOT of books on cd, because if I CANNOT listen to regular radio. Regular radio plays the same 10 songs over and over and talk radio has a commercial every 8 minutes. Sirius/XM is barely hanging on by a thread as it is. Howard will be the deciding factor.
Baloney. Howard Stern is not important to XM/Sirius. They were in business before him and will do fine without paying his salary.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:39 PM

3,855 posts, read 10,959,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I canceled my XM in December. Wasn't worth the price for the 30 minutes per day I'm in the car. I only listened to the music channels....no talk, no sports. With portable mp3 player devices, it's much easier to make a playlist and plug the mp3 player into my car stereo.
And that's the whole reason satellite radio falls appart in my book. I'm in the car for 45 minutes a day. Sometimes I don't even have the radio on. Why would I pay a subscription to listen to the radio....something that has been free up until now...

Old 06-23-2009, 04:47 PM

14,864 posts, read 27,387,631 times
Quote:
Well, I do not share your adoration of Howard Stern, I'm afraid, but I do enjoy listening to my XM. I was a little perturbed when they *insisted* on changing the programming and put Bruce Williams and Dave Ramsey on during a time when I *cannot* listen to them. However, I still do enjoy listening to my favorite stations while driving back and forth to work.

The radio stations they have in this area are very lame and I would cry a river if I did not have my XM to listen to instead of the drool and pap that is shooting over the airwaves.

I don't mind paying the money for some good music now and then. But is is MIGHTY hard to find an open channel to set the FM on. grrrrrr

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-23-2009, 09:20 PM

15,487 posts, read 34,068,524 times
I can't deal with regular free radio either. I have a bunch of presets, but I primarily listen to 1st Wave/Sirius 22. I go back and forth between that and the 80's channels, primarily, but I listen to other stuff too. I've found though that they play the same songs over and over again every single day. Fortunately, I also have a boatload of CD's in my car. The shows I like are not on when I'm in the car either, and they cancelled my most favorite show, which also wasn't on when I was in the car - the Fred Schneider/Party Out Of Bounds program. Now we get Party 360 with Dave Kendall. If I'm in the car for the Saturday or Sunday shows (Sunday is another fave - Dark Wave) I'm not in there for very long, as I'm usually at my destination when these shows come on. I guess if Sirius goes under, I'll just listen to my CD's and keep burning more.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:51 PM

13,819 posts, read 23,440,059 times
Lifetime subscriber here. Don't worry...Howard and crew will renew. My wife actually tolerates him now (and I think secretly enjoys him!)

Old 06-24-2009, 04:33 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,186,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Lifetime subscriber here. Don't worry...Howard and crew will renew. My wife actually tolerates him now (and I think secretly enjoys him!)
Funny how the guy has had tons of listeners throughout the years, but you rarely find anyone that will admit to listening to him.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:06 PM

848 posts, read 1,210,715 times
I cancelled XM after a six month subscription. Even on satellite radio, the channels I was listening to were starting to play the same songs over and over again.

If they started playing more diverse music on the different channels, I'd listen; but if I want to hear the same thing over and over again, I'll listen to traditional free radio (which sucks).

Old 06-25-2009, 02:19 PM

14,864 posts, read 27,387,631 times
Quote:
Funny how the guy has had tons of listeners throughout the years, but you rarely find anyone that will admit to listening to him.
I saw his television show exactly ONCE. That was once too many times. I don't know if his radio show is of the same ilk, but I will assume that it is, and believe me when I say, I have no interest in listening to it. I much prefer Prairie Home Companion on NPR - call me old fashioned, and someone who enjoys quality entertainment.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio