U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 05:49 PM

4,712 posts, read 13,111,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I totally agree...Art Bell made the night time an escape from all that right vs left circus stuff...

He, Art Bell, made the night time special...when all could or would gather around the 'fire place' together...and ponder things...regardless of political leanings...

Art Brought a certain unity to the human experience...it was like 'us' against 'them'...them being the spirit world or aliens or secret societies or demons ect ect....I can't explain it with words...but those who use to listen know what I mean...he, and his guests, and his topics, just had a way of making you forget about all that day time political divisive talk radio stuff...

That was the magic of Art...

And I to hate seeing politics brought up on Georges show just for the sake of...

Politics is like acid...and it just doesn't belong on coast to coast...

Coast to Coast is a time for all of us to just come together and ponder things, as we did as kids, looking up at the stars...
So true !!
Its a different show without Art-usually- sometimes what was great about it shows up again, but usually with George Knapp hosting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 07:57 PM

28,334 posts, read 24,920,120 times
Maybe the same topics on the shows today by George would not have been as political years ago with Art Bell? It was a different time then and the nation (people) were not so divided and polarized politically as they are today. It could be just that simple; ten or fifteen years ago politics were not as much of an issue as it is today in the news, radio, and tv.

However I continue to enjoy Art when he returns from time to time on the air for me to listen. Most of the time, I hear the topic and guest that George has and then turn off the radio for the evening. Itís amazing how nice to hear the old tapes that I had recorded years ago of Art with some of the best of topics he had then.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:08 AM

12,411 posts, read 14,979,673 times
Maybe Art and George and Ian were around when there was the equal time amendment and that trained them to see bias coming down the road in a discussion and field it properly and responsibly, the way a professional would.

George is too much of an air head to understand the ins and outs of political controversy and obviously he is too enamored to his paycheck to argue much with anyone.

He is part of what is meant when we speak of the dumbing down of America.

There were times, when a guest wanted to interject political talk into his little story when Art would even take the other side, just to provide some balance. But Art could do that because he is smart.

I sometimes doubt if Noory even recognizes that he is being played at times because he is so dumb. Art used to be a right wing talk jock, and he probably got sick of it and thought there was more money in saucers and things.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:10 AM

4,712 posts, read 13,111,215 times
Art Bell will be hosting live this Friday, the 24th.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:58 AM

3,359 posts, read 5,971,851 times
Default For the first time in a long time...

As I sit here listening to Coast to Coast tonight...for the first time in a long time...the whole shows format seems tired and outdated...like a relic...

I kinda think other shows have caught up with Coast to Coast...(at least the way George runs it)...

Shows like 'Conspiracy Theory' Which is hosted by Jessie Ventura, and others, seem to bring a much needed energy and vibrance that coast to coast has been lacking lately...
(he broadcasts the show like it's still 1974)

Coast to Coast feels like PBS now...slow and nastalgic...(at least the way PBS felt when I was a kid or younger)...

Plus their still on AM where I'm at...they haven't gone satellite, and doubt they will....

And George sounds detatched half the time...sometimes he reminds me of this guy...

In that often time you get the impression his guests comments or callers comments just kinda skim over his head...

Or he'll fail to recognize a profound statement made by a guest, and instead ask another question of his guest, that's not nearly as important...

And your left feeling like 'Hey George, are ya gonna ask the question or not!?'

The formats just outdate...and the show needs a major face lift if it hopes to compete and remain relevent in the coming years...
With day time host and competition like Glenn Beck...who has stolen many of Coast to Coast listeners with his borderline Conspiracy, survival, and apocolyptic format.

Infact if Glenn Beck would drop the whole Dem vs Rep part of his show...he would probablly make a better host...

Maybe so would Jessie Ventura...

Actually, Glenn wouldn't be good for Coast to Coast...cause he would make the show more about 'himself' and his personality rather than the guest...

To host coast to coast, you have to be unselfish in that...you have to be interesting yourself, but at the same time allow room for your guest to shine, or have their moment. But you can't make yourself bigger than the show.

Yes, Coast to Coast has kinda become the Ford Pinto of radio now...and George is to clueless to realize he badly needs to change the tempo of that show...

And don't just have on any dull guest who has a book to sell....

Sometimes I feel they just randomnly pick guests from the phone book...

'Hey, do ya have anything interesting to say? Wanna come be a guest on our show tonight'...

He needs to get more 'high powered' guests...like Art use to have...guests who bring thought and wit and ideas that are relevant to the here and now...

Art always seemed able to do that...

When Art ran the show, you always felt there was something urgent his guest had to share...

And I think the host has a lot to do with that...Art was a master host...from his voice, to his demenor, to his skepticism...he brought a lot of that to the show...

Art would elevate even dull guests, into relavancy, while on his show...you just felt if they were around Art, than they must be important...

Or when George leaves...maybe the show should go with two hosts at the same time...two people who can compliment each other and keep the energy level high...

The shows just starting to feel like an antique now...

That being said...it will be 2011 here in a few weeks...I wonder if George is still leaving like he said he would...

Maybe someone could find out...I would email him, but seems you got to be a paid member of his web sight in order to have access to him...wow, way to further isolate your listeners George...

Anyways..that's all...I'm not sure what spurned on the long rant...just built up after hearing his show sink lower and lower over the last few months..

The only interesting thing about the show anymore is the opening monologe music....

The end...

Last edited by Time and Space; 12-09-2010 at 02:17 AM..

Old 01-07-2011, 09:24 AM

Default Art needs to come back to the radio

Disappointed in Coast to Coast these days. When I tune in to listen it appears that George has an ďinfo commercialĒ on for hours with a book author pushing his story about the end of the world and why I should buy gold, or store food items for the future. I get so tired of the negativity of the show these days when I turn it on. I donít want to hear their political views (I can get that anywhere on the dial) and I donít want to hear the domesday stories from listeners calling in who are living in a cave. Enough with the info-commercials, politics and negative broadcasts and authors pushing their books.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:33 PM

11 posts, read 18,764 times
i wholheartedly agree with all of you. nice to know its not just me lol. Freakboy13

Old 01-11-2011, 05:13 PM

3,359 posts, read 5,971,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakboy13 View Post
i wholheartedly agree with all of you. nice to know its not just me lol. Freakboy13
Hi, and welcome to the forums...welcome to City-Data...
I see this is your first post...

Yes, many of us are die hards...or use to be of Coast to Coast...

Over the years however, the show has lost it's way. It's theme, it's punch.

It still has potential though...it's still in the right time slaught, and still
has the right premise...

What the show is lacking, as of lately, is content...and a decent host...

Their still in a primed time slaught though...1:00 am - 5:00 am...perfect time slot..

But unfortunalty, many stations have opted to replace Coast to Coast
with re-runs of day time political talk shows...yuk...

Poliitics divide, Coast to Coast brings together...

The night is a time for wonder and amazement. It's a time to hear
about the possibilities of lost civilizations...

It's a time to get scared when hearing a witch being interviewed, or
ghost hunters share their adventures...

It's a time to be amazed by hearing world renowned physicists share
secret formulas and ideas of the Universe with us...

It's a time to ponder about aliens from other planets, sneaking and dabbling
into ours...

It is not...I repeat not, a time for some doctor to try to sell us 'super vitimans...
Or for some workout guru trying to pitch some 'booty buster' excercise equiptment...no...save that for Sunday mornings...

Any ways kiddo...welcome...and yes, your not alone in your frustration.

Maybe someone should email this forum to Coast to Coast...

Like to the producers or something...or even to Art Bell himself...

Old 01-11-2011, 05:35 PM

11 posts, read 18,764 times
Default ty for the welcome

thank you, i have been complaining about norry to my wife for awhile. she prolly wishes i would be abducted lol.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:51 PM

I was surprised the other night when I turned on the radio and Whitley Strieber was talking and hosting the evening’s show. It was great to hear a refreshing voice and something other then the “info commercials” and “the end of times doomsday” topics. Whitley does a great job of hosting and I’d turn on the radio more often if I heard something interesting for a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio