Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2014, 10:51 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
You're list clearly lacks credibility when you have DC on a list with San Francisco, San Antonio and Jacksonville, FL. I mean really??? I can't even take you seriously SMFH
To be fair, San Francisco doesn't belong on that list either. KMEL was at one point one of the best hip hop stations in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 02:16 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,438,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
dont even know how this thread got so long and span over some years

trust me, all the stations are the same

only difference is the radio personalities, mix djs

clear channel and radio one owns all the stations and use the same exact playlist

the same 10 songs are played every hour
Not here in Georgia. Our Hip Hop stations play local artist first. It's very heavy on southern Hip Hop regardless of what's more popular in the rest of the country.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:23 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
dont even know how this thread got so long and span over some years

trust me, all the stations are the same

only difference is the radio personalities, mix djs

clear channel and radio one owns all the stations and use the same exact playlist

the same 10 songs are played every hour
Exactly! Sad but true-media monopolization is a MAJOR problem in this country and music is extremely important.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Not here in Georgia. Our Hip Hop stations play local artist first. It's very heavy on southern Hip Hop regardless of what's more popular in the rest of the country.
Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, the box in Houston was the same way. They had a mix show every night until about 2 maybe 3 am every night and morning with cery little commercials called the thunderstorm. It was mostly Southern and Texas artists. That changed back around 2003ish. K104 in Dallas was great back in the 90s. Fell off once the 2000s came. I use to visit my family in Southern Arkansas and they could get 100.1 in Monroe and their entire late night shows was Southern hip hop mostly from Louisiana, Texas, Memphis, with some Atlanta. I could go on and on.

I wonder how much of this is a result if the telecommunications act of 1996.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:30 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep3 View Post
107.9 and V103 are just ratchet now. And they make so many goddamn party promotions for the same crap. And OMG, its the next coming of Jesus, or shall I saw JEESZY when Young Jeezy, T.I. or some other ATL star is hosting a party. And the call ins are so ghetto its a damn shame. AYE LEMME GET THAT NEW **** BY WIZ DOOOOOE LUV U (DJs name here) Why do you people request the same crap thats out right now? Can SOMEone request a goddamnit throwback or two every now and then atleast? Some OLD , classic SOuthern rap/hip-hop or something, cmon now. And I forgot his name but the DJ has his head so far up his own behind now its ridiculous, dood thinks hes suuuch a star, even has his own restaurant in Buckhead. And then when they talk about news they only talk about ghetto stuff. How about some good news every now and then? GURL CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT BOY IN BANKHEAD THAT SHOT THAT- or some Celeb crap. But its been like this since like 2006 so its nothing new. I hear 94.5 is actually not-too-bad and actually tries to support our local scene, about time. And Ive ran into it a few times in the car, it atleast doesnt play the same mainstream stuff all day, they atleast mix it up with new and old.

And I gave hot97 in NYC a listen and this is a joke. How are you gonna call a nothing but mainstream crap station 'where hip hop lives'. Ridiculous. Come see 2chainz guys hes in Brooklyn toniiiggghhttt.
Dude listen to 97.5. Chubb Rock has a good old school show on Fridays from 7-9pm. Also listen to 89.3 late Friday night and Saturday from 10pm until if u like underground NY type music. Also listen to V103 during lunch for the old school mix

Old 08-21-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
To be fair, San Francisco doesn't belong on that list either. KMEL was at one point one of the best hip hop stations in the country.
I'm talking about now. I live in Atlanta but during my time at work at my desk I listen to several stations online across the country and they are just garbage. I try out different stations just to see what they are feeding the streets.. I try to listen to KMEL and they just play mostly R&B and very little local music. Granted I can take only a few mins to listen because it's so commercial. Even Power 106 in LA is garbage. I would put LA on that list but they got KDay which is one of the best old school rap stations that i ever heard. Maybe I listen to early and it gets better later on?.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post

And ATL doesn't have at least one station that matches that description?? Give me a F'in break!!! I believe most cities have at least one questionable radio station, so why select those 4 cities. The OP's question is what city has the worst hip-hop radio station. I'm saying that DC should definitely not be on that list PERIOD!!! BTW Your mother is an idiot for having you a-hole!!!
You might just don't know any better. To me a good station plays classic or at least a decent amount of local songs. Both of those stations in DC play the exact same songs all day. I used to listen to the station in Bmore more because at least they had a couple of mix shows that played underground music. Maybe they have changed aince then but from 05'-09' it was crap.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I'm talking about now. I live in Atlanta but during my time at work at my desk I listen to several stations online across the country and they are just garbage. I try out different stations just to see what they are feeding the streets.. I try to listen to KMEL and they just play mostly R&B and very little local music. Granted I can take only a few mins to listen because it's so commercial. Even Power 106 in LA is garbage. I would put LA on that list but they got KDay which is one of the best old school rap stations that i ever heard. Maybe I listen to early and it gets better later on?.
No I was saying that he shouldn't put SF with those other too as well because historically their station was one of the top hip hop stations in the nation.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:13 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
You might just don't know any better. To me a good station plays classic or at least a decent amount of local songs. Both of those stations in DC play the exact same songs all day. I used to listen to the station in Bmore more because at least they had a couple of mix shows that played underground music. Maybe they have changed aince then but from 05'-09' it was crap.

You'll hear WKYS and WPGC play songs from the DMV underground scene but it's normally on rare occasions though. Mainstream-wise, they'll put on for Wale and the growing mainstream appeal of both Fat Trel and Shy Glizzy. But I wish I could hear them play more Phil Ade, Logic, Young Moe, BlackLink, Oddisee, Lightshow, Black Cobain, Fatz the Big Fella, RAtheMC, Uptown XO, Nike Nando, Lyriciss, Kingpen Slim, Sluttyboyz, T.C.B., etc., etc. Unfortunately, the two stations are mainly rotating the same stuff as across most of the country but there's still Go-Go nights so at least that's good. I mostly just listen to local underground artists via Soundcloud, YouTube, and DatPiff.

In case you oldheads didn't already know, the Internet IS the new underground

Fun fact: Radio One is HQ'ed up in Lanham, MD here in PG County.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:57 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,943,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Back in the late 90s and early 2000s, the box in Houston was the same way. They had a mix show every night until about 2 maybe 3 am every night and morning with cery little commercials called the thunderstorm. It was mostly Southern and Texas artists. That changed back around 2003ish. K104 in Dallas was great back in the 90s. Fell off once the 2000s came. I use to visit my family in Southern Arkansas and they could get 100.1 in Monroe and their entire late night shows was Southern hip hop mostly from Louisiana, Texas, Memphis, with some Atlanta. I could go on and on.

I wonder how much of this is a result if the telecommunications act of 1996.
The beauty of the Texas stations(Austin in particular) was that, they'd not only play local underground Texas artist(swishahouse, SUC, etc) they'd also play underground artist from Louisiana(artist like those New Orleans dudes who sang "bunnyhop", the rap group was called "Da Entourage"). But what I also loved about the Austin hip-hop stations, was the fact that they played Chicano hip-hop, and Chicano Rap artist who hail from throughout the whole Southwest, Mountain West, and California. Austin hip hop stations really had the plug on that underground Chicano Rap. You'd hear Mexican-American artist from Houston to Los Angeles to The Bay Area. Baby Bash, Frankie J, NB Ridaz, Lil Rob, Chingo Bling, etc. <----They'd play these Chicano artist alongside Lil Wayne, Lil Jon, Ying Yang Twinz, Jay-Z, Pharrell, etc. All this was back in the early-00's(02, 03, 04) I don't know if they still do this on Austin's The Beat 104.3. I moved out of Texas in 04'. This was a roughly 10yrs ago(04') back when I was in 8th grade. There's a huge underground market for Chicano Rap, that often gets ignored. Austin radio was like this cool eclectic mix of mainstream hip-hop, underground Texas rap, underground Louisiana rap, and underground Chicano Rap.

Last edited by polo89; 08-23-2014 at 01:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio