U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 05:12 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,578,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Augusta is like that too. They have Foxie, Power and the Wiz(across the River in SC). I believe that Fayetteville NC has 2 or 3 as well. It seems like cities like Augusta have one station with a more Southern vibe, one with more of a Northern vibe and the other has a mix of old and new stuff(including R&B). This is pretty common in smaller Southern metros too. I can only think of maybe a couple of smaller non Southern metros that have more than one station that plays Hip Hop.
It would be cool for a city to have a radio setup like that. I'm not quite sure if I can describe our 3 hip hop stations in Macon like that though.

Let me think...

2 of the 3 seem to always have advertisements and breaks at the same time. During the evening hours, all 3 seem to play the same mainstream songs. Around noon, one of the stations here has a DJ that mixes a lot of old, classic NY hip hop. Also, one of the stations switches to Big Tigger in the basement and/or Funk Master Flex Radio show for a few hours on the weekend and they play some a lot of NY music. That's as close to northern vibe as you get though. Most of the time, all 3 play the same mainstream stuff.

Now that you mention it, we kinda have(or had) 4 stations. 103.7 is in suburban Irwinton, GA. When I used to listen to the radio more often they played a mix of new and old as you mentioned....I'm not sure but now they may be strictly old school r&b, soul, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 05:17 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,578,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Yep. Albany, Ga another mid sized city used to have two really good Hip Hop stations. Now they still have WJIZ 96.3 but if you are in the South West Georgia region you can also pick up a Hip Hop station from Valdosta which is pretty good.

I grew up down here so took it for granted until I moved to Ohio where large major metros won't even have one Hip Hop station that plays decent music. They will play mostly very commercial rap mixed with pop music and alot of the stuff they play is old.

When my family from Denver visited the guys were mesmerized by the stations Friday and Saturday night mixes and daily jam sessions. They said they wanted me to make a CD of the radio stations for them to take back home. I was bewildered as to why until they told me they don't have stations like that back in Colorado.

A friend of mine from Syracuse recently visited and she also went on about how much she missed those radio stations. She kept saying they don't play this up there. And when a popular song would come on she would tell me she had never heard it before (usually one that had been played on our radio stations for a couple months by then). She said most of these songs she hadn't heard.

And our radio stations really really get behind and support local Hip Hop artist and there are a lot of good ones that come up that way.

It seems weird but true that when driving down the Interstate with the exception of Atlanta I don't hear any really good Hip Hop music until I reach the tabbaco and cotton fields of Central and South Georgia. Most of these big cities could learn alot from these country Hip Hop stations.
I wonder why this happens? Possibly demographics and catering to a specific audience? These cities we're talking about here in Georgia like Macon, Augusta and Albany are 50-60+ % black. Many of the other cities we're bringing up are like 20, 30+ % black IF that.

I'd bet somewhere like Detroit has similar stations...but then again maybe not.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:12 PM

13,902 posts, read 20,636,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
I wonder why this happens? Possibly demographics and catering to a specific audience? These cities we're talking about here in Georgia like Macon, Augusta and Albany are 50-60+ % black. Many of the other cities we're bringing up are like 20, 30+ % black IF that.

You're right, its probably demographics. Not as much pressure in the smaller towns to play commercial pop to cater to other demographics from outside the city. More freedom to break local underground artist, while still playing the most recent hits.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:31 PM

297 posts, read 324,481 times
i will say this only because of experience but, KVSP in OKC has to be one of the best urban formats in the country. I use to hear new music cuts that were so played on the radio there and they would come out 4 months later on the west coast...smdh!

I think once you past Texas stations in the south get real funky and crunk with their playlist!

Old 09-04-2014, 03:19 AM

2,847 posts, read 5,147,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post

Denver is only 10% Black. I've been listening to what I think is their only Hip Hop station (107.5) and WoW! Now I see why my young relatives out there wanted me to send recordings of radio stations here in Georgia after they visited. It's really sad. I couldn't believe my ears.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:46 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,635,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
YESSS, the 7 cities had the best hip hop radio stations in the country hands down!!! From 103JAMZ, I remember hot102.1 used to be on point back in the day and then NSU's Hot91 has to be one of the country's best kept secrets. I haven't been back in a few years but growing up, I remember hearing everything on all of those stations. I've even heard more old school Outkast in VA than I've ever heard here in ATL. And as for ATL stations, right now, our newest station Streetz 94.5 is killing both V103 and Hot1079 right now 94.5 plays ALL of the newest songs that are out here in Atlanta
Yup, Hampton Roads has the best hip hop stations for music and NYC has the best radio personalities from what I've heard.

Old 09-04-2014, 09:22 AM

3,421 posts, read 2,258,427 times
Delaware has Kiss 101.7...and it sucks hardcore. Always plays out-of-rotation hip-pop music and random rap songs (think Lil Mo's Superwoman, Jadakiss' Why?). Power 99 (Philadelphia) and Q 92 (Baltimore) needless to say, get more play.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:27 AM

12,362 posts, read 15,664,936 times
The worst hip-hop stations anywhere are actually the "Rhythmic Top 40" stations. Those are the stations that nouveau riche white kids who think they're gangsta listen to. A prime example of this was 95.5 The Beat in Atlanta, which was thankfully killed back in 2010.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:06 PM

116 posts, read 216,462 times
Hip Hop station in San Antonio Tx..............THE WORST!

Old 09-04-2014, 10:51 PM

5,921 posts, read 14,493,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smb90 View Post
YESSS, the 7 cities had the best hip hop radio stations in the country hands down!!! From 103JAMZ, I remember hot102.1 used to be on point back in the day and then NSU's Hot91 has to be one of the country's best kept secrets. I haven't been back in a few years but growing up, I remember hearing everything on all of those stations. I've even heard more old school Outkast in VA than I've ever heard here in ATL. And as for ATL stations, right now, our newest station Streetz 94.5 is killing both V103 and Hot1079 right now 94.5 plays ALL of the newest songs that are out here in Atlanta
QFT. I still listen to NSU's Hot 91 online. By far better than anything in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio