U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-03-2009, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Springfield VA
4,036 posts, read 7,449,837 times
Reputation: 1468

Advertisements

I don't know I'm more of a pop hop person versus a hardcore rap fan and have always just liked the mainstream dance stuff. I hate to say it but its casual listerners like myself who are the cause of this "lame" rap stations. To much attention is payed to appealing across the board versus the true hip hop listener. Is this a bad thing? For me no for someone who wants more variety and more underground hip hop that isn't just about dancing the answer is yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2009, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Springfield VA
4,036 posts, read 7,449,837 times
Reputation: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
93.7 KRQ ISN'T a hip/hop station and it's not that bad, but I'm not a fan of Hot 98.3 (hip/hop anyways) -

dance on the other hand...I miss Energy Arizona.
I wish DC had an all dance station like New York does. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 11,458,118 times
Reputation: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Orlando:
Power 95.3, they had the same 3-4 songs in heavy rotation, they literally didn't play anything but those 4 songs it was unreal and wack.

102 Jamz is way better and they got the Steve Harvey Morning Show.


New York City:
I like Hot 97 but they stay remixing/rewinding the songs so much that it starts to give me a headache.

I listen to Power 105 the most .
Power 105 is the best. I love it when I'm visiting friends in NY or Jersey and I finally come into NYC airspace. It's usually on a Friday night, so they've got good DJs on and I just blare the music and get ready for an awesome night haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Springfield VA
4,036 posts, read 7,449,837 times
Reputation: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakpo98 View Post
Here in the DC area, we have both 93.9 WKYS, and WPGC 95.5. Both are pretty much the EXACT same, except form the fact that in 95.5's case they play more old school songs during the day, and they designate an hour each night (9pm) to a local style of music here in DC called go-go. On 93.9, it's pretty much your standard radio station which plays more "street" material than 95.5, and they also spend most nights doing more mixshows (5-6pm) then at 6:30, and also at 9pm.
Yeah those are pretty much the same. I honestly just hop from station to station and can't tell the difference between the two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
815 posts, read 1,700,236 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I don't know I'm more of a pop hop person versus a hardcore rap fan and have always just liked the mainstream dance stuff. I hate to say it but its casual listerners like myself who are the cause of this "lame" rap stations. To much attention is payed to appealing across the board versus the true hip hop listener. Is this a bad thing? For me no for someone who wants more variety and more underground hip hop that isn't just about dancing the answer is yes.
I feel you, it's just music, and you’re supposed to have a good time. But it's those cats who look to rap for some type of social fulfillment, or some enlightenment that have the game twisted. Go read a book if you want that, go volunteer somewhere in your local community. People who look to rap music for those things lost in life already IMO. When I'm on my socially conscious vibe I dont listen to my I-pod, I go to a museum or the shrine of the black Maddona even. I always laugh at "backpackers" when thay bring up that argument that rap nowadays is garbage. They act like their hero's Slaughterhouse, Ghostface Killa and others are talking about something positive towards the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
815 posts, read 1,700,236 times
Reputation: 288
And all these people on here complaining about radio stations being sorry are not real Hip Hop fans, I have a number of friends who are "backpackers" and they dont even listen to the radio. Real Hip Hop fans listen to XM, Sirius, or whatever other form of satellite radio is out these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 12:57 PM
 
Location: roaming gnome
12,394 posts, read 22,419,505 times
Reputation: 5538
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
And all these people on here complaining about radio stations being sorry are not real Hip Hop fans, I have a number of friends who are "backpackers" and they dont even listen to the radio. Real Hip Hop fans listen to XM, Sirius, or whatever other form of satellite radio is out these days.
just use the internet really... some of us are broke and xm and sirius subscriptions aren't worth it lol, no cd player in the car and an old radio, its gonna be the radio ...
I used to be obsessed with music when I was a teenager thinking there was something to find, but really what there is to find is probably in your own neighborhood or city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
366 posts, read 1,101,333 times
Reputation: 240
107.5 sucks really really bad here in Denver.. same 5 songs over and over again
95.7 is Ok but they sometimes play some lame pop music

I listen to Hip Hop nation or Shade 45 on sirius 99% of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
815 posts, read 1,700,236 times
Reputation: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
just use the internet really... some of us are broke and xm and sirius subscriptions aren't worth it lol, no cd player in the car and an old radio, its gonna be the radio ...
I used to be obsessed with music when I was a teenager thinking there was something to find, but really what there is to find is probably in your own neighborhood or city.

Im the same way, I have not listened to music on the radio in years, and really the only times I turn the radio on are when I am trying to find out if there are any good clubs or partied being advertised, and even thats rare because the older I get, those clubs and parties that are advertised on the radio are not really my cup of tea anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2009, 02:40 PM
 
Location: USA
12,667 posts, read 9,126,671 times
Reputation: 4113
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
I feel you, it's just music, and you’re supposed to have a good time. But it's those cats who look to rap for some type of social fulfillment, or some enlightenment that have the game twisted. Go read a book if you want that, go volunteer somewhere in your local community. People who look to rap music for those things lost in life already IMO. When I'm on my socially conscious vibe I dont listen to my I-pod, I go to a museum or the shrine of the black Maddona even. I always laugh at "backpackers" when thay bring up that argument that rap nowadays is garbage. They act like their hero's Slaughterhouse, Ghostface Killa and others are talking about something positive towards the community.

You couldn't be more off.

When we talk about good hip hop we aren't just talking about socially conscious music. We're talking about GOOD music. It doesn't have to be about something positive, it just needs to be creative, fresh, and new. That's what Hip-Hop is about. Its a form of expression, in rhyme, spoken over a beat.

There is no creativity in mainstream hip hop anymore. It's all the same garbage. Jay-Z, Nas, Biggie, KRS-1, 2pac weren't always talking about something positive, but they were talking about something real. They were EXPRESSING themselves, not just talking about whatever the last artist said in order to try to make a few bucks.

But I guess if your fine with the stuff on the radio now then you never were a true hip hop fan and you just have other interest. Thats fine, but for us real hip hop fans out there, we are bored and tired of the same sh*t on the radio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top