U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 03:00 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,907,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Let me start by saying they all suck but Hot 97 is not the worst. The worst is probably some BS station in Mississippi, or Atlanta.

Definitely not Atlanta either...You cant be serious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 03:10 PM

4,459 posts, read 7,805,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What does this have to do with the topic of the thread.

Anyway, yes, all stations are equally bad. You can blame the telecommunications act of 1996 for this very reason. Not only has it affected radio, but it has affected television too in a very bad way. The record companies are to blame as well for signing garbage.

In DC like someone else said, you have 93.9 and 95.5 and they are BOTH very bad. Both.
A lot, because Hip Hop radio stations play Hip Hop music right? So yeah this have to do a lot with the topic. Southern Hip Hop killed Hip Hop in general. So the Southern Hip Hop Radio stations are the worst.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:23 PM

15,989 posts, read 28,311,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
A lot, because Hip Hop radio stations play Hip Hop music right? So yeah this have to do a lot with the topic. Southern Hip Hop killed Hip Hop in general. So the Southern Hip Hop Radio stations are the worst.
why do you repeat yourself so much?? and your reason for claiming the south has the worst radio stations is some BS.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:23 PM

815 posts, read 1,699,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You couldn't be more off.

When we talk about good hip hop we aren't just talking about socially conscious music. We're talking about GOOD music. It doesn't have to be about something positive, it just needs to be creative, fresh, and new. That's what Hip-Hop is about. Its a form of expression, in rhyme, spoken over a beat.

There is no creativity in mainstream hip hop anymore. It's all the same garbage. Jay-Z, Nas, Biggie, KRS-1, 2pac weren't always talking about something positive, but they were talking about something real. They were EXPRESSING themselves, not just talking about whatever the last artist said in order to try to make a few bucks.

But I guess if your fine with the stuff on the radio now then you never were a true hip hop fan and you just have other interest. Thats fine, but for us real hip hop fans out there, we are bored and tired of the same sh*t on the radio.

There is nothing fresh and new about any of that, when EPMD rapped "When you was p*ssin in your bed, I was makin a mill" or "with fake mugs, runnin they mouth with the place bugged, and caught a slug and no one saw anything but the mask and gloves" it was the same street talk that Jay-Z used on songs like Cant knock the Hustle on Reasonable Doubt. Or when later Jeezy rapped about counting a million dollars in drug money on his living room floor in Trap or Die, or Gucci Mane rapping about kicking in someones door and robbing them, it was all the same street talk. What is fresh and new about any of that, the only difference is the slang will be different as the artists will be from different areas. Basically my point is those artists you mentioned all have recycled styles, swags, even recycled lyrics as Jay-Z has bitten allot of Biggies lyrics and Nas even has bitten Pac's lyrics. Which is hilarious to me because when 'Pac was alive he couldn't stand Nas. So once again, what is fresh and new about any of that stuff??????????????? And you apparently are not a real hip hop fan as you cant even see the similarities in artists lyrics, either because you have a lazy ear, or you just choose to listen to what you like. I am a true hip hop fan because I listen to rap from all time periods and locations, even if I dont like it.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:51 PM

5,139 posts, read 6,482,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I don't know I'm more of a pop hop person versus a hardcore rap fan and have always just liked the mainstream dance stuff. I hate to say it but its casual listerners like myself who are the cause of this "lame" rap stations. To much attention is payed to appealing across the board versus the true hip hop listener. Is this a bad thing? For me no for someone who wants more variety and more underground hip hop that isn't just about dancing the answer is yes.
I actually believe that too much attention is paid to hip/hop on the mainstream stations - I mean overplayed. Especially in some markets where Clear Channel (among others) have both a CHR Rhythmic/Hip Hop and a CHR Mainstream/Pop CHR.

When Energy 92.7 (dance) left the airwaves in AZ last November after almost 7 years, it was replaced with the 92.7 & 99.3 The Beat, which is Classic Hip/Hop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I wish DC had an all dance station like New York does. Oh well.
Well, it almost did - Mega Media (Pulse 87 - NY) had plans to expand Pulse 87 to other markets including DC and LA, but alas, they filed for bankruptcy. So that means the continued existence of Pulse 87 in NY is in question as well, although Mega Media is hoping to continue operating Pulse as it restructures under Chapter 11.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:29 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,133,928 times
Mainstream radio is dead and lifeless, that's the problem. There is still good hip hop to be found and in other genres too. I find all my music pretty much on the internet now. Radio is just another corporate for profit business. Many people who listen to radio hear the songs but don't actually listen. That way radio can feed you any bs and call it gold. I'll listen to what I want thank you.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:31 PM

4,459 posts, read 7,805,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
why do you repeat yourself so much?? and your reason for claiming the south has the worst radio stations is some BS.
Don't make laugh please.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:47 PM

5,969 posts, read 6,860,330 times
Orlando FL

Old 09-03-2009, 05:55 PM

674 posts, read 1,537,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Definitely not Atlanta either...You cant be serious
Well Im assuming Atlanta has to be one of the worst because of the IMMENSE amount of garbage they have produced but I could be wrong.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:12 PM

1,193 posts, read 1,471,283 times
Any station that doesn't play any old school, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio