U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 11:48 AM

8,957 posts, read 15,823,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlstraQ View Post
One of the better radios for the money is a Kaito KA 1103, a Chinese brand.

Try this link:

Kaito KA1103 Product Reviews

Also on this site you will find reviews of many radios, and tons of information.
Nice, very nice! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 04:26 PM

149 posts, read 459,008 times
Another great source: Home

They produce an SWL magazine as well, Monitoring Times.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:27 PM

8,511 posts, read 3,582,129 times
I just ran across this thread. When I was young, my dad and I used to listen to shortwave radio.

Guess what? I have a Zenith Trans Oceanic radio in an upstairs closet and in virtually mint condition and packed in its original box.

Tomorrow, I'm going to check it out and see if it still works. It probably does.

Thanks for this thread!!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:35 PM

72 posts, read 200,069 times
I used to have a Grundig 400PE and the reception and quality were great. It tended to go thru batteries quickly and I did not care for plugging it in. So I switched to a smaller Grundig 550PE which works great for stronger signals. I was never one for trying to pull in weak and fading sw signals anyway. I listen to people like Ronnie Whathisname on the PRophetic Watch most days and find SW is a good culture.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:45 PM

11,798 posts, read 20,238,854 times
All you need is a longwire antenna to boost the weaker signals.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
I just ran across this thread. When I was young, my dad and I used to listen to shortwave radio.

Guess what? I have a Zenith Trans Oceanic radio in an upstairs closet and in virtually mint condition and packed in its original box.

Tomorrow, I'm going to check it out and see if it still works. It probably does.

Thanks for this thread!!
What a lucky fella! The Zenith Trans Oceanic radio was, and still is, one of the best SW radios ever made. It's still a standard that new radios are compared to.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:52 AM

6,662 posts, read 23,845,194 times
Smile Where do I find service work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
What a lucky fella! The Zenith Trans Oceanic radio was, and still is, one of the best SW radios ever made. It's still a standard that new radios are compared to.
Does anyone know where to get one of these serviced?
I have my dad's he had in the army up in Alaska when it was only a territory in the 50's.
The case is leather and in good shape, carry handle needs replacing. The strings on the tuner need replacing as does the antenna. I just assume all the tubes should be replaced as well. It might just impress dad to see it work again.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I have my dad's he had in the army up in Alaska when it was only a territory in the 50's.
The case is leather and in good shape, carry handle needs replacing. The strings on the tuner need replacing as does the antenna. I just assume all the tubes should be replaced as well. It might just impress dad to see it work again.
Contact these folk's who have been in radio since 1942. They should know or can fix it themselves.

Universal Radio Information Page

Old 11-03-2009, 09:22 AM

9,985 posts, read 15,642,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Any decent audio/stereo/radio repairperson can do the job. Replacing the string is easy and you could do it yourself (do a Google). The antenna is an easy fix as well. The tubes may well be fine. You or the repairperson need ony use a tube tester to find out. Replacements are not a problem.

My guess is the biggest issue will be recapping it- replacing the capacitors which may have dried out. Again, not an impossible job and any pro can do it.

These guys are still around if you look. There are even ones you can mail the radio to. Having it done right may cost a bit, but it will then last another 40 years. The Transoceanic is well worth it.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:41 AM

6,662 posts, read 23,845,194 times
Thanks everyone, my wife is getting excited about the radio now. I do have a friend who repairs stereos, the nice old ones with tubes. I'll ask Danny if he is familiar with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio