U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-30-2009, 09:01 PM
 
1,658 posts, read 2,230,102 times
Reputation: 699

Advertisements

Being a SWL DXer since 1978, I really donít agree. 95% of the current international broadcasting can be heard via web broadcast. During emergency conditions ham radio will still have its place using low lower power to communicate via Morse code or packet radio. When the SHTF I am 100% confident that the international shortwave bands will remain quiet. It takes allot of power to run those kilowatt transmitters and that why international broadcasters have opted for web broadcasting entirely or have really limited the amount of shortwave broadcast programming.
Now that was said, I will continue to monitor this thread and will offer advice on receiver selection, antenna selection and construction, propagation and band conditions and any other questions you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-31-2009, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,958 posts, read 8,559,806 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
Being a SWL DXer since 1978, I really don’t agree. 95% of the current international broadcasting can be heard via web broadcast. During emergency conditions ham radio will still have its place using low lower power to communicate via Morse code or packet radio. When the SHTF I am 100% confident that the international shortwave bands will remain quiet. It takes allot of power to run those kilowatt transmitters and that why international broadcasters have opted for web broadcasting entirely or have really limited the amount of shortwave broadcast programming.
Now that was said, I will continue to monitor this thread and will offer advice on receiver selection, antenna selection and construction, propagation and band conditions and any other questions you may have.
In case you missed it this thread is about survival radio. In that case internet SW more than likely will not be avaible outside of gov't. SW radio will be the only way for information to get to the common people via the pirate radio stations that will spring up during any crisis. As to where the pirates will come from? Every ham in the whole world is a potential pirate in times of need.

From your rather imperious tone here I take it you are an SWL "expert" which makes your advice suspect as all experts are among the common people. Tone it down a bit so the common folk can understand what you say.

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 10-31-2009 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2009, 01:47 PM
 
1,658 posts, read 2,230,102 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
In case you missed it this thread is about survival radio. In that case internet SW more than likely will not be avaible outside of gov't. SW radio will be the only way for information to get to the common people via the pirate radio stations that will spring up during any crisis. As to where the pirates will come from? Every ham in the whole world is a potential pirate in times of need.

From your rather imperious tone here I take it you are an SWL "expert" which makes your advice suspect as all experts are among the common people. Tone it down a bit so the common folk can understand what you say.
If itís a thread about survival radio only, why are you referring to links about shortwave radio from the past and not in its current state. There or more effective ways to communicate to the masses than using a ham transceiver broadcasting clandestine.
As for my tone, if you donít like it then report it to the mod of this group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2009, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,958 posts, read 8,559,806 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
If it’s a thread about survival radio only, why are you referring to links about shortwave radio from the past and not in its current state. There or more effective ways to communicate to the masses than using a ham transceiver broadcasting clandestine.
To assume that because something is non-current as a way to disseminate emergency information is short sighted. It is precisely because it is well established and wide spread that "old fashioned" radio is how emergency info is best broadcast to the public.

Since you seem to want to debate the state of SW today I invite you to PM me to take our differences off the board so that others can learn what is best for them and their situation. There must be some reason that both the Red Cross and other emergency agencies prefer to use radio over todays much higher tech internet methods.

Now moving on........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2009, 03:32 PM
 
80 posts, read 101,711 times
Reputation: 62
I am an avid shortwave listener and I would agree with Tightwad on the fact that it is a very good way to cheaply disseminate information to the masses. Unfortunately, too many people don't even know what shortwave is anymore, because the internet and TV killed it off (well, mostly). If people realized the utility of shortwave and other radio bands, I think they'd become a lot more popular than they are today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2009, 03:36 PM
 
80 posts, read 101,711 times
Reputation: 62
HappyTexan - if you haven't bought a radio yet, I'd urge you to look at a Sangean ATS-909. While they are a bit expensive, you get what you pay for; the quality of the radio is excellent for $250.00. I've owned only a few shortwave radios (all recently-made Grundigs), and I must say that their radios aren't high quality nor do they pick up anything good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2009, 03:43 PM
 
1,658 posts, read 2,230,102 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
To assume that because something is non-current as a way to disseminate emergency information is short sighted. It is precisely because it is well established and wide spread that "old fashioned" radio is how emergency info is best broadcast to the public.

Since you seem to want to debate the state of SW today I invite you to PM me to take our differences off the board so that others can learn what is best for them and their situation. There must be some reason that both the Red Cross and other emergency agencies prefer to use radio over todays much higher tech internet methods.

Now moving on........
It's not a personal debate but when you post " "The main reason for listening to shortwave in my opinion is to hear what is happening elsewhere in the world, since often you wonít hear from other countries on the local news stations. Even with cable and satellite television sometimes you will hear things you wonít hear even on the major cable news networks. " is not really the case and I am going to have to disagree. I dont want people to put down their hard earned money for a reciever only to find out that there not much out there in international programming these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2009, 03:46 PM
 
1,658 posts, read 2,230,102 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander M. View Post
I am an avid shortwave listener and I would agree with Tightwad on the fact that it is a very good way to cheaply disseminate information to the masses. Unfortunately, too many people don't even know what shortwave is anymore, because the internet and TV killed it off (well, mostly). If people realized the utility of shortwave and other radio bands, I think they'd become a lot more popular than they are today.
Shortwave stations are not cheap to operate. Thats is why stations have dropped off like flies over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2009, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,958 posts, read 8,559,806 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander M. View Post
HappyTexan - if you haven't bought a radio yet, I'd urge you to look at a Sangean ATS-909. While they are a bit expensive, you get what you pay for; the quality of the radio is excellent for $250.00. I've owned only a few shortwave radios (all recently-made Grundigs), and I must say that their radios aren't high quality nor do they pick up anything good.
Yes, the 909 is a good radio but don't you think that for this thread they are overkill? IMO the radio has to be both user friendly (read no brainer to use) and either super efficient on batteries or hand crank powered. The 909 is neither.

Off topic.....
Grundig radios are all produced in China now since the name Grundig is owned by Eton corp. Quite a few Grundig's are really a lot of bang for the buck with many Eton products being top of the line in the radio field. Top of the line doesn't always make a good emergency radio when #2,3,4,or 5 model will do a very good job too.

IMO it will serve the membership here better to explain what make's a good reliable emergency radio rather than a specific brand or model.

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 10-31-2009 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2009, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,958 posts, read 8,559,806 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavedxer View Post
Shortwave stations are not cheap to operate. Thats is why stations have dropped off like flies over the years.
In an emergency I would not depend on stations to broadcast news over a local ham working with emergency agencies. A radio that covers AM/FM/SW covers all the bands that could be used.

P.S. I also know that for DX'ers like you and I the air wave are not what they used to be AS FAR AS OUR HOBBY GOES. That said, this thread is about owning and using a SW capable radios to aid the owner in times of hardship or emergency and nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top