Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 03:30 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times

Advertisements

Shortwave Radio Listening is listen to the World on a radio, wherever you might be. Shortwave Radio is similar to the local AM Broadcast Band on Mediumwave (MW) that you can hear on a regular "AM Radio" receiver, except that shortwave signals travel globally, depending on the time of day, time of year, and space weather conditions.

The International Shortwave Broadcasters transmit their signals in various bands of shortwave radio spectrum, found in the 2.3 MHz to 30.0 MHz range. You might think that you need expensive equipment to receive these international broadcasts, but you don't! Unlike new Satellite services, Shortwave Radio (which has been around since the beginning of the radio era) can work anywhere with very affordable radio equipment. All that you need to hear these signals from around the World is a radio which can receive frequencies in the shortwave bands. Such radios can be very affordable. Of course, you get what you pay for; if you find that this radio resource sparks your interest, you might consider more advanced radio listening equipment. But you would be surprised by how much you can hear with entry-level shortwave receivers which include many smaller portables.

You do not need a special antenna, though the better the antenna used, the better you can hear weaker stations. You can use the telescopic antenna found on many of the portable shortwave radios now available. However, for reception of more exotic international broadcasts, you should attach a length of wire to your radio's antenna or antenna jack which can help AM/FM reception also at times.

In addition to vital information you can receive, such as weather reports, the shortwave radio can be an endless source of news from around the world as well as entertainment. With a shortwave radio on board, you can listen to programming from international news agencies such as the BBC and others from around the world. You can tune into practically any kind of music you care to hear, from Asia, South America, Africa, and Europe, or you can brush up on your foreign language skills by listening to radio announcers speaking in dozens of different languages.

If you have not explored the many wonders of shortwave radio listening, it is worth your while to go out and invest in a good receiver. You may find it so interesting that shortwave listening becomes a new radio resource, as it has for many who have discovered the magic of tuning in radio signals from around the globe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 09:19 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,876,338 times
Years ago when I was 10~12 I saved all my money from working all summer long with different jobs and bought a shortwave radio. It was a Hallicrafters S-108 general coverage set. I spent a lot of hours during the years listening to all of the stations that I could pickup. I learned a good deal from this experience and enjoyed it more then anything at the time. I often think about getting another radio now and starting up doing the same thing over again.

I had QSLs from all over the world, from many different types of stations. It’s an interesting hobby and takes time seeing and listening to the stations. However I doubt I could get use to staying up late at night listening like that again. I’m usually heading for bed too early now-a-days.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:36 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,492,235 times
Unfortunately...the internet has put a huge dent in this hobby. Kids today don't even know what a shortwave radio is.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:12 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Unfortunately...the internet has put a huge dent in this hobby. Kids today don't even know what a shortwave radio is.
Plus, these devices that we use to access the Internet and the many other electronic devices now in the home have an unfortunate tendency to put RFI (interference) all across the shortwave bands.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:21 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,676,799 times
Quote:
Unfortunately...the internet has put a huge dent in this resource. Kids today don't even know what a shortwave radio is.
This needs to change since Shortwave is way more dependable that any other "modern" method of communicating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Plus, these devices that we use to access the Internet and the many other electronic devices now in the home have an unfortunate tendency to put RFI (interference) all across the shortwave bands.
True but it won't matter if nothing else will work when the lights go out. Shortwave portable radios will still work fine.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:23 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,009,326 times
Quote:
Yes and now it's smartphones, video games, lap tops and computers all instruments for the World Wide Web (Internet) that have got the attention of a new generation that has lost personal social skills and situational awareness unlike back in the day.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:25 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Yes and now it's smartphones, video games, lap tops and computers all instruments for the World Wide Web (Internet) that have got the attention of a new generation that has lost personal social skills and situational awareness unlike back in the day.
There is still plenty of folks in the hobby. There are plenty that are getting into amateur radio and listening to shortwave. While the number of shortwave stations has trended downwards.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
This needs to change since Shortwave is way more dependable that any other "modern" method of communicating.

True but it won't matter if nothing else will work when the lights go out. Shortwave portable radios will still work fine.
Can the same thing be said about CB Radio will still be working and dependable after all of these years and the modern methods of communicating, satellites, cell signals go down?

Old 12-02-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
There is still plenty of folks in the hobby. There are plenty that are getting into amateur radio and listening to shortwave. While the number of shortwave stations has trended downwards.
I can see why shortwave listening is dying. Same thing with HAM radio they say that is also dying. Expensive equipment, license fee, tests usually with an older population.

Scanning / monitoring public safety bands still somewhat popular but we lost alot of communication magazines subscriptions due to internet, technology, digital encrypton etc.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:48 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I can see why shortwave listening is dying. Same thing with HAM radio they say that is also dying. Expensive equipment, license fee, tests usually with an older population.

Scanning / monitoring public safety bands still somewhat popular but we lost alot of communication magazines subscriptions due to internet, technology, digital encrypton etc.
Ham radio seems to be going fairly strong. I’m president of the our local club. Part of the mission is testing and recruiting new hams. For less than $100 you can buy the book, take the test, and buy a radio. We seem to be doing okay as far bringing the next generation in.

You can set up a decent shack and antenna system and have the toys to make it run for less than a Harley Davidson, fancy boat, 4x4, or other hobby. For less than $2,000 you can work HF with a solid setup. Even less if you buy used equipment. New radios that work well coming down in price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio