Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:53 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times

Advertisements

Lately I'll rate shows based on how long I can listen before I just have to turn the channel do to just out right lies, or childish ratings motivated antics or slurs or unfair bias ect ect...

Between Savage and Rush...at the moment I'm able to tolerate Savages show a bit longer...but probablly because he knows the art of 'mixing it up'...

He jumps around a lot...so before you get to mad at him over one issue...he has you on his yacht with Teddy talking about some adventure...

Then he's back to 'politics'...before playing some grateful dead song to parody some modern political character...

It's almost as if his show is ran like a 'remote control'...he changes the topic or mood, before you can change the dial...

And he has a dark comedic streak to him...the way he handles callers...
There's a streak of humor that runs through his programming (intended or not) that kind of counter balances his fitful rages...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 05:22 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,527,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
President Obama does not have a Ph.D.

I think you are confusing a law degree (J.D., or jurisdoctor) with Ph.D.
I know Obama doesn't have a PHD. I forgot on forums you have to be overly specific about everything you say or people like to poitn stupid little things out.

My point being was the whole idea the previous person made about just because you are educated be it PHD, law license, MBA, etc doesn't mean your smart of have any commen sense.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:43 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
I'm pretty much burned out on talk shows. I'm fortunately in bed when Limbaugh airs locally and I rarely think of tuning in to Savage on my way to work. Besides, I probably have latent "Long-haired, Hippy-type, Pinko, ***" tendancies, anyway, so those guys really don't speak to me...

Last edited by Crew Chief; 02-06-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 02-06-2011, 10:46 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
Both are crazy sociopaths.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:27 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I like Rush. I have always liked Rush, best. I only listened to Michael Savage once and that's when I was traveling in another state. Being retired, I no longer listen to evening/nighttime radio because I'm not usually in my car for more than a 5 - 10 minute trip at that time nor am I usually on my computer (the other time I listen to talk radio) in the evening/at night. I usually sample other radio talk shows when I take long driving vacations. The only one I really don't care for is Neal Boortz. But I can find Rush no matter where I go on the road. I also used to listen to Tammy Bruce (on the weekend) when I lived in Maryland and some Komando woman on computer stuff, also on the weekend. I liked both of their shows.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:28 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I used to like Savage a lot more. He had his niche, he spoke honestly about real problems and that got him a lot of listeners. Political correctness makes for bad talk radio and TV commentary( hence MSNBC's rotten ratings and Air America's failure).
When Savage is on track, taking calls and talking about real issues, he's still good. But when he goes narcassistic and talks about himself, I flip channels. Mark Levin is also a great talk show host. Laura Ingraham puts a lot of effort into her show and the comedy and satire she does is good. Hannity makes a good effort and has many guests although he's a little too status quo like Rush.
Horrible shows like Ed Schultz can be hard to take even if you find them. He apes Limbaugh in style( which is sad enough) and only got into liberal talk radio because he was going nowhere in the more competetive conservative radio circuit.
And then there's the master of the night, George Noori. Sometimes his show gets goofy with obvious screwballs and BS artists, but I like people who call in with weird stories and encounters. at least its different.
The most successful talk shows try to get listeners, even ones that might not like what they hear. The ones with poor ratings only aim for their base. That goes for cable news commentary. Don't make the effort to put on a good show, don't work to offer your listeners and viewers real content and your ratings will suck.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:12 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I personally prefer Savage...he's more of a story teller...he'll go from hardcore politics to how to cook meatballs...to stories about his dog back to politics....

And he's way more versed and educated than Rush...Savage actually holds several ph'd's...and has written many books...and did you know that his son is the one who started and owns 'Rock Star' energy drink...
I like Savage and listen when I can but I have listened to Rush, off and on, since he first came on national radio. I don't much like Savage when he gets whiny....

Old 07-20-2011, 01:37 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
They took savage off the air here in san diego

Old 07-26-2011, 12:19 AM

880 posts, read 1,800,214 times
Rush couldn't hold a candle to Savage. Savage is much smarter and well educated than Rush. Savage is unique in his ideas and topics and has an independent mind of his own and isn't scared of alienating his audience. In other words if he says something that some of his fans don't agree with he doesn't give a dam. In essence he is very real and I also think that many people that don't like him have never actually listened to his show more than once. He's very hit and miss some day's his shows are really flat but other shows are amazing.

Rush is about as cut and dry as they come. Rush is basically a water boy for the Republican party. So if you want to hear someone who is a unique, entertaining, and a free thinker listen to Savage. If you want to hear someone say things like Republicans good Democrats bad all day listen to Rush and the like.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
When I fist discovered Rush Limbaugh I was still in the trucking business. When I was in California I would listen to him on a Sacramento or L.A. station. That was in 1986(?). I liked him because he saw the World in almost the same way I do and I loved his sense of humor. I still like him but he is not nearly as funny as he used to be. Probably because of the PC police.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio