Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:47 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I listen to the local Sports Radio station here in Philly and New York, WFAN and sometimes stations of other cities after their team loses a big game like Indianapolis.
My husband and I recently moved to Central Florida from northern NJ. We listen to both WFAN and WEPN (the local NYC ESPN station) on the Internet. We've been listening to them so long, we can recognize individual callers by their voices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 05:45 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times
I listen to sports radio a lot during football season and for March madness. When I turn on a sports station I prefer for the hosts to discuss sports. I have a strong dislike for off-topic "guy talk".

Old 03-12-2010, 12:17 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,323,105 times
Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket - Home

Old 03-23-2010, 09:00 AM

3,359 posts, read 7,325,741 times
JT the Brick and Tom Looney...rule...

Jim Rome...well...his show's entertaining at times...but at times he gets so distracted by the 'clones' or his callers that sports takes a back seat.

I'm mainly into National talk shows, like Dan Patrick and the Danettes, or the Tony Bruno show...which I don't really like, to much jibberish...it's more like a 'guy' verison of the 'view'....

I guess all the shows appeal to different moods your in at the moment...

I use to e mail Tom Looney a lot, and he would email back...

Tom Looney is 'real'...the way he is on the show is the way he is in real life....

Old 02-24-2015, 05:15 PM

421 posts, read 328,557 times
Dale and Holly show

Boomer and Carton show those are 2 that i like to listen to

Old 02-24-2015, 05:35 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
philly sports talk is weak this time of year especially since

the sixers stink
the flyers stink
the phillies stink

Old 02-24-2015, 07:10 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
As a long time NYC metro resident, I miss WFAN. Living in Pittsburgh, people can't seem to understand why a NYC station would talk about ND or USC football or Georgetown hoops. Or golf or Olympics. Here it was Steelers, 24/7 when I first moved to town in 2002. There was a little Pens and very little Pitt sports. During summers, there was a hour long Steelers show during afternoon drive time - during baseball season!

Thankfully the Pirates started getting good, the Steelers starting getting average and there's a bit more balance. But I still miss the "worldview" of all sports that WFAN provided.

To the point of hosts "egging on the idiot callers", I find that it's the radio-only guys who do that. There are a handful or print journalists who host radio programs and they mostly stay on point and don't try to be sport "shock-jocks".

Old 04-05-2015, 02:43 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
The only thing I hate about Talk radio is callers who STUTTER on the air or callers who take too long to get to the point
That REALLY annoys me too. I know that everyone isnt going to sound perfect, but some guys just wont get to the point!

Old 04-05-2015, 02:45 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlerMCMLV View Post
I quit listening to sports talk radio for the same reason I quit listening to political talk radio---the hosts seem to have more interest in whipping up or engaging the nitwits than in discussing sports and their issues seriously, objectively, and with genuine wit as opposed to locker-room or gents' room jokes and insults. Mind you, I still love baseball dearly and watch (and write about) games as often as I can. But I guess I'm doomed. I'm too inclined to let the facts get in the way of a good innuendo, prejudice, or rabble-rouse. (I can only imagine what football, basketball, and hockey fans think when they listen to these meatheads and ponder that they're getting paid in the high five or low six figures on average to rant their heads off with so little to back it up.)

And it's not just because enough of the sports talkers, in hand with enough of the voting baseball writers, saw fit not to elect maybe the third greatest second basemen ever to play the game to the Hall of Fame on his first try and had the nerve to try to convince anyone with two brain cells to rub together that they had actually seen him play, seen the numbers as they were, and seen the sum total of his career as it was.
Yeah, this is my problem with a few hosts as well. Most of those guys, I just dont listen to. But I stopped listening to music stations years ago, so Sports Talk is what I listen to.

Old 04-05-2015, 02:54 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Yeah, this is my problem with a few hosts as well. Most of those guys, I just dont listen to. But I stopped listening to music stations years ago, so Sports Talk is what I listen to.

Since I am not a MLB or NHL fan, I only listen to the morning show on WIP at 7am because they are normally talking about other things besides sports. I still hate that they got rid of the Cuz at 1pm for some idiot named JOSH
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio