Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 05:09 AM

76 posts, read 169,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I'm certain that at night you could do much better. You didn't say whether you were getting them at night or not.
I'm actually able to pick up AM 740 (about 170 miles away) both at night, and on my morning drive to work pretty much all year long. But in the afternoon on my way home it's pretty hard to get. Right now I can get AM 880 (320 miles away) on my way to work too, but not in the afternoon, but I've noticed through the spring and summer I can't get it in the morning, but can get it in the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 08:57 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
She is one half of the Country Music Consulting firm, "Shane Media". Her and her husband are based in Houston, TX and are very much out of touch.
The Forever "Froggy" stations are very successful though, at least in Pennsylvania. Even though I can't stand them, they know how to put out a consistent product.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:14 PM

180 posts, read 596,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
The Forever "Froggy" stations are very successful though, at least in Pennsylvania. Even though I can't stand them, they know how to put out a consistent product.

Well, the moniker and mascot idea is really old. Forever is a shady company to begin with and they could care less about any of their non-Pennsylvania stations. Those stations are actually bigger than the Pennsylvania stations, but yet they are the "step-children" of the company. I, as a professional in the radio industry, have no use for any of their products because they are what most of us in the industry like to call........"career killers".

Old 11-16-2010, 01:18 PM

FWIW, to this day you can drive up to Lexington, KY and in the evening pick up WRVW 107.5 "The River" in Nashville. It will skip on the FM dial every evening at the same location next to the airport. Darndest thing I have ever seen! This is a frequency that is pretty cluttered too so that makes it even that much more impressive!

Old 11-16-2010, 01:20 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,181,738 times
Does it only happen in the evening? That's typically more of an AM band thing. Weird!

Old 11-18-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Does it only happen in the evening? That's typically more of an AM band thing. Weird!
Yes. Only happens in the evening. The thing about this is 107.5 is somewhat open halfway between Nashville and Lexington. Plus WRVW's FM antenna's are pointing East-Northeast. It's also helped along by the fact WRVW is broadcasting off a 1,000+ footer north of Nashville along the escarpment known as the Highland Rim.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:08 PM

It isn't the distance that has me intrigued. It's the time of day that you can receive it. I wonder why only in the evening?

Old 11-19-2010, 12:38 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,379,929 times
Quote:
It isn't the distance that has me intrigued. It's the time of day that you can receive it. I wonder why only in the evening?
Evening to early morning hours tend to be the best hours for the atmospheric conditions that allow this to happen (tropospheric ducting). The middle of the day tends to be the worst.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:56 PM

I thought tropospheric ducting only occured occasionally and unpredictably, not daily. But I suppose you are correct if it works that way.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:53 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,120,643 times
Quote:
I thought tropospheric ducting only occured occasionally and unpredictably, not daily. But I suppose you are correct if it works that way.
I think he's actually not talking about tropospheric ducting (which is fairly unusual on over-land paths), but rather tropospheric enhancement. Tropospheric scatter (caused particles within the atmosphere that refract radio signals, if I am correct) is always present to some extent, although signals are usually very weak and require either a good, low-noise location or a rooftop FM antenna and excellent receiver to hear. On my APS-9B (FM beam) with a clear view from the southeast to southwest and rotator, I regularly pick up KRVX 103.1, Wimbeldon, ND, "The Raven", 284 miles away, in the middle of the day, although it slowly fades up from the noise and back down, and all of the Minneapolis stations from Shoreview (124 miles away). However, at night, the Minneapolis stations usually become strong enough for an occasional, if not sustained, HD Radio lock on some of them, and even strong on my car radio, which receives absolutely nothing or just a trace of them in the daytime. This is called tropospheric enhancement, and in my experience usually develops in the early evening and continues until a few hours after sunrise, when it dissipates. Likewise, an outdoor TV antenna here yielded consistent pictures here most nights from the MSP TV stations, at least in the summer, before they transitioned to digital, and a good UHF-only antenna should pick up watchable DTV signals on summer nights as well as many others throughout the year.

Tropospheric ducting, on the other hand, is a fairly rare phenomena on over-land paths, usually associated with stagnant high pressure. I would say at my location this occurs on an average of 10 - 15 days throughout the year, mostly in July, August, and early September. Signals are refracted through the troposphere, which basically works as a waveguide, and can travel up to over 1,000 miles, though 300 to 600 miles is more common. Tropo ducts are generally the most productive during the night and morning hours, though I have seen tropo at all times of the day. Through the years, I have received UHF (and more rarely, VHF) TV and FM stations from South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan. Apparently I missed out on an excellent episode of tropo in August with Kentucky and Oklahoma reception possibilities for me then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Radio