U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2011, 12:19 PM

225 posts, read 154,417 times
Default I have to vent...

I had a really pretty male red factor canary named Rusty who sang beautifully until yesterday.

I took him to the vet who specializes in avian medicine just for a regular checkup, and Rusty passed away from shock! The vet took his weight, swabbed the inside of his beak, and then told me to wait outside in the reception area while he'd cut Rusty's leg bands off.

I was wondering why 10 minutes passed and the vet didn't come out yet, surely I thought to myself, it doesn't take that long to cut off the leg bands. Well the doctor finally called me in to inform me that my canary passed away from shock!

I was in shock, and feeling numb inside and outside. Here I had a perfectly healthy canary who if I didn't take him to the vet, he would still be alive today! The vet was very sorry, apologetic said he has seen this happen on the Mainland, but this is the 1st time it has happened here to him in Hawaii.

The vet offered to pay for the cremation costs, and told me that he would buy me a new canary (canaries cost about $149.00 in Hawaii, despite coming from local breeders).

I'm still feeling sh*tty about this whole affair. I should have known better, since Rusty was the only canary that I had who wasn't finger tamed. I managed to finger tame all the other canaries I had before, but Rusty was so shy and timid.

To make matters worst, I have to go to Williamsburg, Virginia this coming Monday for a family reunion with my mother's sister's family. I won't be back home until June 27th. Thank goodness I have accrued a lot of vacation leave at work. Sigh...I guess I'll look for another canary when I come back.

Rusty was skittish and I wasn't able to tame him, but I still cared a lot for him. Rusty was my 1st red factor canary and as I learned about color feeding his new feathers were coming in a beautiful shade of orange and strawberry(he was still molting). He also sang really beautifully.

I'm mostly sad, but what little anger I have is directed against myself for having taken Rusty to the vet when he didn't need to go to the vet.

Thanks for letting me vent...

Last edited by Keeper; 06-17-2011 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: fixed sp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 03:19 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,793,773 times
I'm so sorry about Rusty's passing...try not to beat yourself up, your intention was to do a good thing for him by taking him to the vet.

I had a canary when I was a little girl, we named him "Apollo", and he sang so beautifully. He was a nervous little guy and would shriek at anyone wearing a hat...he really hated hats and big hair. I was absolutely devastated when he passed away, I was very attached to him and loved him so much.

(((HUGS)))

Old 06-17-2011, 03:24 PM

Thanks so much...

Old 06-17-2011, 03:39 PM

9,699 posts, read 10,233,248 times
My condolences on the passing of your precious Rusty. You did what you thought was best and gave Rusty a wonderful home. While I have never had birds as pets, we all think of our pets as family. RIP Rusty. I am sure that he is at the Rainbow Bridge flying free and watching over you.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:49 PM

Thank you. You're right, I consider all my pets as family.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:32 PM

8,681 posts, read 6,947,729 times
That would devastate me. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
That would devastate me. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thanks...

Old 06-18-2011, 07:03 AM
bjh
Status: "Stored at 72 degrees Fahrenheit" (set 8 hours ago)

19,905 posts, read 10,954,070 times
I'm sorry you lost Rusty like that. That's not the first time I've heard of vet care causing a bird to die. Moral of the story, unless a bird is REALLLY ill, leave well enough alone.

That being said, don't feel guilty. You had Rusty's best interests in mind.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:09 PM

Default Thanks

Well, I'm getting ready for my trip packing and making sure I have everything. Called my dad who's already there to wish him "Happy Father's Day", and he said the luxury condos that my aunt and uncle are hosting us at are really nice, spacious and right there in Williamsburg.

My mother bought tickets for everyone (since my aunt and uncle are paying for our accommodations) for Busch Gardens which is an amusement park.

I've been to Virginia 3 times before, but this is the 1st time for me to go to Williamsburg. Flying to the east coast is okay, but flying back is KILLERS! 1 hour flight from Richmond, VA to Dulles Airport in Washington DC. then 5 hours from the east coast to San Francisco, then another 5 hours back to Hawaii, not to mention 1 to 2 hour layovers at each stop.

I'm still feeling down in the "dumps" about Rusty, but will try to enjoy myself during my vacation.

When I do get another canary when I come back home, I'm going to try to choose a canary that isn't so skittish or so timid in personality. A friend might know a local canary breeder that I could buy from, rather than getting another one from the pet store.

That would be ideal, as the breeder could help me choose a bird that sings well and one that has a more confident bearing.

Thanks for all your sympathetic replies.

Last edited by Honolulu21; 06-19-2011 at 05:57 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 02:30 AM

Default I wanted to send you a message, but couldn't so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I'm so sorry about Rusty's passing...try not to beat yourself up, your intention was to do a good thing for him by taking him to the vet.

I had a canary when I was a little girl, we named him "Apollo", and he sang so beautifully. He was a nervous little guy and would shriek at anyone wearing a hat...he really hated hats and big hair. I was absolutely devastated when he passed away, I was very attached to him and loved him so much.

(((HUGS)))
Update: My vet true to his word paid for Rusty's cremation and gave me money for a new canary.

Long story, short. I bought another beautiful red factor canary after I came back from my trip June 29th 2011. The only problem was he was molting from the time I brought him home to the end of this October!

I knew male canaries didn't sing during molting time, but I was seriously wondering if I had gotten a dud or female (no offense, but I want a male canary since they're the only ones who sing). Plus I don't ever remember a molting period lasting so long! LOL

Well he started to sing beautifully after FINALLY finishing his molt and I decided to name him, "Apollo" after your canary. Thanks again for your heart warming response to my rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge