Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:59 AM

782 posts, read 1,108,897 times

Advertisements

Sam was abandoned by my neighbor and we adopted each other about 2 years ago. I have no idea how old he was. He was a great cat...He got along with the dogs, the other cats...He didn't complain much, wasn't picky with his food and was happy to just sit with me even if I didn't actively pet him. He was the best.
The last few days he was a little grumpy but still active. This morning when I woke up he was dying. He passed away around 530.. My question/problem is what can I do with his body that will lend dignity to his life? I don't want to bury him here we haven't lived here that long...I thought about taking him to the old neighborhood as there is a vacant lot behind my old house...he was born there so??? I can't afford to have him cremated...and I can't bear the thought of taking him to animal control and then on to the renderer. What would/do you do?? How have you reconciled your self to this?? I truely don't know what to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 09:06 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,802,649 times
I am so terribly sorry. My heart is broken for you. I like your idea of going to the vacant lot. I don't know if that poses any legal problems or not, but I do like the idea.

Best wishes to you.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:16 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
Sorry for your loss. I recently had that same situation. We had a funeral, and buried our cat in the woods, by a tree. We wrapped him in a blanket, and put him in a small box with some toys.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:18 AM

61 posts, read 116,184 times
I'm so sorry for this.

My cats are my children.

I know what your feeling sweetheart.

God bless you.

Julia

Old 11-11-2011, 09:29 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,924 times
I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my cat a little over a month ago, and it is a painful experience.

Since I live in the city, I was unable to bury her, but my husband took her to the vet (she passed at home) so that they could take care of her remains.

Good luck.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:58 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
So sorry for your loss. <hugs> I think the vacant lot is a nice idea but if it ever gets developed, Sam's remains will be disturbed. Is there a woods nearby?

Old 11-11-2011, 05:16 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,221 times
I am so sorry for your loss and I know how much you will miss him. I agree with SouthernBelle about the vacant lot possibly being developed in the future and he would be disturbed. If you own your house, could you possibly find a spot for him there. It doesn't matter how long you lived there - his home was anywhere you were and he would still be near to you there. I don't think the vacant lot would have any special meaning to him, maybe even some bad memories if he was born there or abandoned there. You gave him love and a home, and I'll bet he'd still want to be near you. I know his earthly remains like ours won't matter anyway, but this will be more for you now than for him. I would make a special place for him and maybe plant a small tree or something nearby, where you can look out the window and see where he is. Home is where your heart is..after all.......I'm glad you two found each other....

Old 11-11-2011, 05:26 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
I am very sorry for your loss. It was wonderful of you to take such good care of him. Bury him in your back yard. You will not regret it.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:40 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I'm sorry for your loss.

Our beloved cat, Frack, died on Monday. I wrapped him in one of my old t-shirts and buried him under a shade tree, a few feet from where our Yorkie is buried. We'll remember him often as we sit on the patio or mow the lawn, and being under the tree it's not likely his grave will be bothered for years to come, at least not until his remains have returned to Mother Earth. The vet gave me a cardboard "coffin" but I didn't want to use it.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:44 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,621,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanygirl View Post
Sam was abandoned by my neighbor and we adopted each other about 2 years ago. I have no idea how old he was. He was a great cat...He got along with the dogs, the other cats...He didn't complain much, wasn't picky with his food and was happy to just sit with me even if I didn't actively pet him. He was the best.
The last few days he was a little grumpy but still active. This morning when I woke up he was dying. He passed away around 530.. My question/problem is what can I do with his body that will lend dignity to his life? I don't want to bury him here we haven't lived here that long...I thought about taking him to the old neighborhood as there is a vacant lot behind my old house...he was born there so??? I can't afford to have him cremated...and I can't bear the thought of taking him to animal control and then on to the renderer. What would/do you do?? How have you reconciled your self to this?? I truely don't know what to do...
Hey Chaneygirl I'm so sorry about your Cat. But he's at Rainbow Bridge right now so all is good. I've got a cat that I have no idea how old he is because he was adopted from an apartment complex where I used to live. For a couple of years I thought he was a girl and so did my Vet until I took him in one day and the head Vet finally got a look at him. She said, "oooh that cat sure is pretty for a girl" and it all became clear after that. He's a boy and when I said that he pees funny outside that was the clue to check his gender a little more closely.

Anyway, I'm sorry for your loss, they become our family and our kids and it's always heartbreak. I love my cat and my dog and they are there when humanity lets you down. Always.

Oh crap edit to add: take him to your old property and bury him. It's heartbreaking but it's very therapeutic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge