U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:07 PM

26,489 posts, read 17,846,111 times

Advertisements

My deepest sympathy. A very stressful day for you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 09:03 PM

5,990 posts, read 5,112,526 times
Oh my, I'm so sorry, Va-Cat, I can't imagine the pain you must be in. You did the kindest thing that could be done.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:08 PM

6,162 posts, read 9,355,565 times
*hugs*

Old 02-18-2012, 09:35 PM

466 posts, read 814,615 times
I'm so sorry.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:55 PM

826 posts, read 1,499,359 times
Hugs to you and your family.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:03 PM

3,528 posts, read 5,856,018 times
Thank you all for your kind thought. The sudden and unexpected nature of this day has me completely reeling. Mariah was always the healthy one of our dogs. She was our enthusiast and cheerleader, always the one to get all the other dogs worked up and excited.

More personally, she was also very true to her breed. My velcro dog, she was my constant shadow and companion. She wasn't so much the dog that got all the attention as much as she was the support that you only knew was there once its had gone.

I hope I will have many more dogs to love in my life. If I'm really lucky, I may even have one that comes close to being what Mariah was to me. For tonight though, I don't want to think of any new dogs. I'm going to just miss my friend.

Thank you again everyone

Cathie

Last edited by Va-Cat; 02-18-2012 at 11:21 PM..

Old 02-19-2012, 05:44 AM

5,982 posts, read 11,103,856 times
Condolences here as well. We will light a candle for Mariah to help her find her way to the Bridge. (It's just a little tradition at our house when we find out a beloved pet has passed.)

Peace to you - and thank you for giving Mariah a beautiful life and a gentle passing. I know it is so hard....so hard....time will heal what reason cannot.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 AM

12,493 posts, read 12,722,119 times
I don't even know what to say, even though I saw this last night on Facebook. It's such a shock. I'm still shocked.

All I know is that I want to give you a huge, warm hug... and hold you there until the pain goes away.

Mariah was so loved. She knew that. At least she knew that. It doesn't make it easier, I know, but thank God she knew love, right up until the end.

xo

Old 02-19-2012, 06:55 AM

8,394 posts, read 7,498,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
I've just gotten back from the emergency vet. This afternoon when I let our 8 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Mariah outside I noticed that her left pupil seemed to be completely blown ( filling the whole eye). I got her right over to the emergency vet hoping that I was overreacting but fearing a stroke or worse. She was diagnosed with autoimmune thrombocytopenia. What I was seeing in her eye was blood. In the few hours we were at the vet, she developed bruised in her mouth, in her ears and all over her body. They did a blood test and her platelet count was around 400. Normal is over 40,000. We were told that prognosis for curing her was less than 20% and the most likely outcome would be for her to bleed out suddenly and very painfully. I was told it could happen to her at any time.

I couldn't let my girl die that way and I made the only choice that I felt I could. She left me today while she was cradled in my arms with her head resting across my chest. There is a giant hole here in our house tonight. Its only surpassed by the one that has formed in my heart. Rest in peace my sweet Chessie girl.
How sad. That is the only choice you could make, you couldn't let her suffer. I can totally relate, my Winston, 16+ yr old boxer we had to make that choice a few yrs ago, at least we had several mths where we nursed him and if you can call it that sort of came to grips w/ knowing it was a choice we had to make. I totally empathize w/ you, try to take comfort in time w/ the fact that you didn't allow her to suffer the other way.
I posted in another section about the experiences immediately following the death of my Winston. Be at peace, your girl is still with you. I honestly believe that.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:40 AM

1,278 posts, read 3,708,595 times
I'm so, so sorry to hear about Mariah. I hope that you will find some peace in knowing that you did all you could, unselfishly putting her comfort ahead of your own. She was very lucky to have you. *hugs*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge