Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 PM

580 posts, read 449,701 times

Advertisements

It's been about 6 weeks since we had to put our baby down...for those of you that have just gone through this, the traumatic grief does begin to pass...

...but we still miss him terribly, and visit a memorial we set up, and keep a candle lit, daily.

This is what I posted on another forum the day after we had to say goodbye to our Sasha...

It's hard to write this threw the tears...

My wife and I had to put our 13 yr old Pomeranian down last night. He was the absolute joy of our lives. Too soon!!!

He suffered from congestive heart failure, collapsing trachea, and other secondary ailments common with his breed...but I shouldn't use the word 'suffered', because he didn't...

He was always a happy, vibrant dog...right up until his new affliction, last night.

My wife and I came home last night around 9:30...He seemed a little 'off' to my wife. Went she went to pick him up, he would back away...which he never did, he LOVED to be picked up and cuddled. He went to the door, so she let him out to go to the bathroom...3 minutes later he comes back in...

...and his back legs are not working, He starts crying, and staggering around...we scoop him up and jump in the car to take him to the vet. He is screaming the whole 10 miles there.

I'm trying to console(sic) my wife, telling her that he probably tried to go to the bathroom, and he's impacted from all the med's he's on...

...that wasn't the case...Seems that something happened to his back...wrenched disk...or something like that. The vet says what they can do is put him on pain med's and seroids, and monitor him through the night, but that if it's what she fears, he will have to have back surgery...

Here's the part of my story that is the hardest part for me...and I have to step away for a bit...

We don't have a lot of money...at all. And Here's is going to be my greatest regret. We had to weigh the financial costs into the decision as to how far we were going to go in treating a member of our family. We had already spent $2500 in the last 6 months on him. The overnight at the vet was going to come to $850, and if he needed back surgery it would come in somewhere between $3000-5000. Couple that with his ongoing medical issues...

...and we made the heart-wrenching call to put him down...I will forever wonder if we did the right thing.

It was soo hard seeing him for the last time. Even heavily drugged, he was still in pain, and when they brought him in for us to see him for the last time, he starting crying again from being moved...got to step away again for a sec...

So...

...we made the call, and left to go home. The house is empty. The toys and reminders of our baby Sasha are all around us, and all we can do since we woke ip this morning is walk around and cry...and try to convince each other that we did the right thing. But the house is empty, and so are our hearts. We Love You Sasha. Please know that we always loved you, and that we tried to give you the best life a Dog could have...

You'll always be in our hearts...

(sorry if my pictures blow the margins, I don't know how to fix that...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
You did the right thing for him. I would not put an older dog through a painful surgery; I had back strand it is painful. With his other issues he would not have a good quality of life. Hugs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:03 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,417,593 times
I'm so sorry about Sasha. The picture of him snuggling shows a dog that loved his family very much, and knew he was loved very much in return. RIP Sasha.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:18 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
What a beautiful boy. You made the right call. It wasn't about the money, but the quality of his life. There were no guarantees of success and with other medical issues, it would have been a difficult recovery. Sleep in peace Sasha.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
Thinking of you...sorry for the loss of your dear little friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge