U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 10:02 PM

101 posts, read 144,556 times

Advertisements

In 2008, my family and I adopted two former racing greyhounds about six months apart. Although my family picked out the first one and I met her at a meet and greet event, I picked out the second one on the adoption association's website when my parents were considering a second one. As we weren't sure if we liked her former racing name, I picked out a new name for her. At that meet and greet, when my parents saw her, they called her by the name we'd agreed on and she turned her head and was responsive. We decided that fit, and she came home. Her new name was Bailey.

She was a part of our life for five years, and I was especially attached to her because I had picked her out. I'm not a little kid by any means (I'm in my 20s), but I always loved to tell my friends and family that I had chosen her and we loved having her in our family. She did not always have nice moments (she didn't really play well with cats and had barking/growling matches with the two others), but my mom never had it in her heart to send her back to the rescue. After all, she had a ton of funny/good qualities: she was a "counter surfer," known to eat full pieces of steak off your plate if you turned around for one second, knocked over the crock pot when everyone was out of the house and gave her and the other two dogs access to the contents and played with our beagle mix everyday when my mom came home from work.

Unfortunately, a couple months ago, she developed a lump on her chest. At first, we tried not to worry, as they can be harmless, those lumps. Sadly, she started to lose weight and was no longer her playful self, though she did continue to give kisses and stare at us panting with her "greyhound grin." We found out she had cancer of the rib, a carcoma, and there was no cure. The vet put her on prednisone, tramadol and pepcid, and for a while, she was eating everything in sight and getting back to her table jumping ways at dinner.

Last week she got worse, though. She wanted to do nothing but lay around and stare at you panting all the time. On Wednesday, she had stopped eating and was just laying down and staring. She would no longer come when you called to her, or she'd move very slowly. After my mom got home from work, she made the decision to take her to the vet and put her to sleep. It went peaceful, and Bailey was cremated and my mom brought her ashes home today.

Even though I know my girl is gone and understand death completely, I feel so sad. I've mostly been able to carry on working and doing all the things I normally do, but I keep wishing she will be there waiting for me when I come home from the gym or an errand, waiting to give me kisses and looking at me with her big brown eyes. I wish she could've lived longer and been her usual, happy self...even though greyhounds are prone to the cancer she had, I just wonder why it was her. I even miss the way she used to cry if I was house sitting and she was waiting for me to get out of the shower, like she just wanted my attention and to be pet. I have a medical issue right now, and having her around was a comfort.

I love the two dogs we still have, so I wish this weren't so hard, as they need love too. We also have three cats, but I am not much of a cat person. I would be sad if the cats passed (and we have lost a few), but not as much as I am about my girl Bailey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 10:19 PM

3,697 posts, read 3,281,421 times
I am so sorry about Bailey.
losing our friends is SO painful.
It's going to take time for that huge hole in your heart, home, and memory to heal.
We never know how much they mean to us, until we don't see them at the doorway with their big grins and greetings.
hugs.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:32 PM

19,632 posts, read 53,495,108 times
So sorry for your loss. She knew you all loved her and she had the best life for her later years. I believe she is now running the great fields of the sky, happy and healthy, with lots of new friends. My Pete (metastasized spleen cancer) and Alixe (old age) were there to greet her. <<hugs>>

Old 07-21-2013, 10:36 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,978,939 times
I know the feeling of thinking no other could ever replace your girl. Mine was a peekapoo. We got her when I was in 1st grade. I had to put her to sleep when I was 28. She was 22. She was my world. I didn't realize until years later that I put off having children because she filled that mothering need. I cried on and off for a few years.

Then my first child filled that void. A few years later, we got a Labrador because I felt every child needed a dog, needed to experience what I did. The Labrador was an amazing dog and we had him for 16 years. I bawled when we had to have him put to sleep too. Our 11 year old basset is all that remains. He is the love of my life. I swear he will be my last because nobody can replace him. BUT experience tells me that my heart is big enough to love many throughout my life.

Your girl is special and she'll always have a place in your heart, but I assure you there will be others in your future. Until then, you will mourn and with time you will do better and better with occasional bouts of crying when something reminds you of her. One day, you'll talk about her with happy memories and not a sad place in your heart. You will realize that she's not gone because she's not forgotten. She will be a part of you forever because she imprinted on your soul.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:36 PM

40,948 posts, read 32,676,353 times
Hopes, I am so sorry for your loss. Having had to put two beloved dogs down in the past, I think I know exactly how you feel.

Here is a quote that makes me feel better when I think back over my lifetime to the precious pets I've loved and lost:

Quote:
Oh, God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things; with our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us.

We remember with shame that in the past we have exercised the high dominion of man with ruthless cruelty so that the voice of the earth, which should have gone up to Thee in song, has been a groan of travail..

May we realize that they live not for us alone, but for themselves, and for Thee, and that they love the sweetness of life even as we, and serve Thee in their place better than we in others.
St Basil

Old 07-29-2013, 06:35 AM

25,393 posts, read 29,708,331 times
I'm so sorry. It's hard to let go of our furry friends. <<Hugs>>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge