U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 10:37 AM

39,126 posts, read 20,252,823 times

Advertisements

We found a stray 17 years ago and took him him. He was a cat but I think he thought he was a dog. He was so cuddly and loaded with personality. He died at 11:30pm last night. I know many people will say he is just a cat but I am really really sad. I feel like crying.

We had our morning routine. As the coffee was brewing I would feed him. Then as I sat and drank my coffee and turned on the news he would sit next to me. At night I enjoyed watching a tv show. He would crawl up on my chest get confy and look right into my eyes. After awhile he would get confy too. I miss kitty.

Last edited by petch751; 12-16-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 11:21 AM

9,661 posts, read 15,790,186 times
Sending prayers your way for kitty.

17 years is a long time to have a pet,its only natural you should feel grief and loss. You had routines you didn't even notice, like the coffee in the morning, cuddling at night, etc. He had a long and good life, and it sounds like he went peacefully. It was his time to go, but he will always be in your heart

RIP, dear kitty!

Old 12-16-2013, 11:22 AM

13,106 posts, read 17,666,184 times
My heart goes out to you! That is all I can say!

Old 12-16-2013, 12:09 PM

2,288 posts, read 2,607,283 times
I am so sorry Petch and feel for you. Anyone that would say it was just a cat, hasn't had the type of bond you and most of us have had with our pets. Their loss. I hope it wont be long before you can sit and remember the good times, and laugh at the silly things he did. I still grieve for my beloved Dude, and he passed in 09'.

You'll know you're healing when you can look at pictures of him and not cry. I can do that, but haven't been able to look at videos of him yet. You had a lot of good years with your kitty and gave him a wonderful life. I know he's grateful that he had you as his mom, and he'll be waiting to greet you. I will never believe we wont see our babies again. Take care Petch, and know it'll take time. {{{hugs}}}

Old 12-16-2013, 12:53 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,518,214 times
Pets enrich our lives in so many ways. I feel for you--and it's OK to cry. My kitty is also getting up in years, too (she was 16 years old in October). Perhaps you can plant a beautiful shrub or tree in remembrance of your lovely kitty companion.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:54 PM

5,281 posts, read 4,385,408 times
Nothing wrong with crying. Losing a member of the household is never easy.

Cats are special because you have to earn the love of a cat. They seem to view the relationship as more of a meeting of minds, than master-pet. Instead of acting like babies who need to be endlessly taken care of, they instead act like self-assured adults who choose to share your company. While we name our dogs before they come home, it took months to find the name that fit our cat's personality.

For now, move any reminders out of sight, and when you start to think about it, pick up a book or do something else to distract yourself. Your mind can only focus on one thing at a time; use that to get past the immediate grief.

I strongly recommend getting another cat (or dog) ASAP--though after the holidays, when things settle down. It isn't disloyal; no pet wants its human to be unhappy. The new member of the family will be a huge positive to offset the misery of losing a loved one.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:11 PM

6,914 posts, read 3,958,153 times
Massive hugs and Prayers for you. I know how painful this can be.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:31 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
Awwwww! My dog nearly died within the last few weeks . . . emergency surgeries, all night vigils, etc. We adore her.

Our pets are part of our lives and they live in our hearts. I am so sorry you lost your dear Kitty. That is a long time to have a relationship with a furkid and of course you are going to be sad. He was lucky to have you . . . it was just meant to be, your finding him and giving him a good life.

I know you will miss him.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:37 PM

32,309 posts, read 59,595,182 times
I'm so sorry! You gave your cat a loving home for 17 years. I know you'll miss him terribly, and that you must grieve; do take comfort in knowing that you saved his life.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:19 PM

346 posts, read 417,526 times
So sorry for your loss. It's more than OK to cry. This was a cherished member of your family and of course it's normal to mourn and grieve your beloved angel. Your kitty was lucky to have you all these years, and you were lucky to have him. No doubt in my mind he knew how much you loved him. Thank you for giving him a good life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge