U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 01:49 PM

274 posts, read 322,889 times

Advertisements

On Sunday I found a kitten that had obviously been abandoned by its mother. I took it inside, and it seemed very, very ill. (I'll call it "she", but I really don't know the gender.) She looked like she was about a month old, and could barely move. She drank a little water, and then slept. I put her in a towel and ran to the pet store to get some kitten milk. She was not able to drink any of the milk, so I called an emergency veterinarian. The recommended bringing her in immediately. I drove to Cary last night at about 8:30PM. I covered her with my hand to give her warmth, and felt her moving every few minutes.

The vet saw her and told me she was in very, very bad shape. They took her in back, and a few minutes later the assistant told me to wait in one of the examination rooms. The Veterinarian came and kindly told me that there was no hope, and that nothing I could have done would have mane any difference. She said the mother cat likely abandoned the kitten because she knew it was very sick. She asked me if I wanted to take her home to bury her, and then I realized that the little one had passed away. The veterinarian's assistant had tenderly wrapped the little one in a towel, and placed a sparkle where her head was. All the staff was extremely kind and thoughtful. They thanked me for making an effort to save her, but in truth I feel like I didn't do enough.

I named the little one "Angel". I took her home. I and put a toy mouse between her tiny paws. I closed the towel and wrapped it in an old running shirt of mine. Yesterday morning I buried her in the sun, far away from the cold, wet spot where I had found her. I sprinkled catnip over her show box. She is not cold any more. She is not hungry. She is abandoned anymore. I am going to plant flowers over her grave.

Though I only knew her for a few hours, I was surprised at how deeply I cared about her.

I hope I see her on the Rainbow Bridge.

Rest in Peace, little Angel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 02:01 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,165,248 times
How very good of you. I'm sorry she couldn't be helped, but thank you for trying. It's nice to think that she was loved and cared for, for however short a time, before she left this life.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:07 PM

9,715 posts, read 18,355,234 times
You did more then then ALOT of people would of done. You have a good & kind heart.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:45 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,753,584 times
She knew care and compassion, however briefly. You did a good thing!

Old 08-05-2014, 08:33 PM

24 posts, read 22,981 times
It's so kind of you, painful to have this experience that sometimes we have done what we can do, but we couldn't change the end result after all.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:44 PM

9 posts, read 10,032 times
What a wonderful thing you did! Even though her life was short, you made her last moments very special and warm. Don't be surprised if you see her waiting for you at the rainbow bridge

Old 08-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Thanks, everyone for your kind comments and thoughts. I think she is a better place now...

Old 08-16-2014, 03:32 PM

298 posts, read 600,795 times
You are a good soul!

Old 08-17-2014, 07:44 PM

The week after Angel died, I found one of her feral siblings on my front porch. It was lethargic and barely moved all day. I was able to gradually get close to the kitten, and scooped it up. The next day I took it to the vet. The vets told me it's a boy, about a month old, and was so severely malnourished that he said if I had waited another day he would have died. I have been giving the kitten antibiotics and nutritional supplements, and he is doing fine.

I think my girlfriend is right: that the mommy cat brought her kittens to me. I am happy to have saved this one. After the sudden death of my own beloved 8 year old tabby early Friday morning, the little kitten is a comfort.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:08 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,165,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strelnikov View Post
The week after Angel died, I found one of her feral siblings on my front porch. It was lethargic and barely moved all day. I was able to gradually get close to the kitten, and scooped it up. The next day I took it to the vet. The vets told me it's a boy, about a month old, and was so severely malnourished that he said if I had waited another day he would have died. I have been giving the kitten antibiotics and nutritional supplements, and he is doing fine.

I think my girlfriend is right: that the mommy cat brought her kittens to me. I am happy to have saved this one. After the sudden death of my own beloved 8 year old tabby early Friday morning, the little kitten is a comfort.
I'm so sorry for the loss of your cat! This has really been a time of ups and downs for you.
Animals sometimes show wisdom that is beyond our understanding. Mama cat may have known that you were someone who could be entrusted with her sick babies. This is a bright note in a sad story, and beginning of another. There is a picture thread on the cat forum, and I know everyone would like to see your kitten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or