U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 04:07 PM

8,414 posts, read 5,753,198 times

Advertisements

My very sweet old man Stormy ran for Rainbow Bridge yesterday afternoon. He was 2 months shy of 18 years old, and lived a good and healthy life for all but the last year or so. He was an exceptionally sweet, loving, and very tolerant cat his whole life, and you couldn't help but love him dearly. He even put up with the smothering & obsessive love of a girl cat named Rainbow for 13 years before she passed away in 2013. All of the other cats he lived with loved him, even though they barely tolerated each other. It's been a pleasure and joy to have had him in my life, and I don't think I will have the good fortune to ever have another cat quite like him.

He was on meds last year for a while and his kidney function improved, but his Pancreas numbers continued to decline. Two weeks ago he pretty much stopped eating, and another blood panel showed Pancreas numbers off & a high white cell count. My vet gave him a shot of a 14 day antibiotic, and he did better for a few days, but never really got his appetite back. He stopped eating again this past Friday & I had to keep him hydrated with an eyedropper over the weekend, as he was drinking very little on his own. He had lost weight and had become weak and very tired, but still made to the litter box when he had to.

He may have lived a few more days or weeks perhaps, but they would not have been quality days at all, as he was slowly wasting away. So I made the decision I had to make... for him, and for me. I held him in my arms & looked into his eyes as he slipped away so he would know I was there with him. It took all my strength to do it, but I owed him that much.
I don't look forward to reading these type of posts here on C-D, and I hesitated to write this and spread my sadness to those who read it. But it helps me, and I'm sure most here will understand. I hope so, anyway.

Thanks for reading.

Bill

for Stormy
April 1, 1997 / Jan 12,2015
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 04:13 PM

5 posts, read 3,876 times
Quote:
He may have lived a few more days or weeks perhaps, but they would not have been quality days at all, as he was slowly wasting away. So I made the decision I had to make... for him, and for me.
You gave him a very important unselfish and final gift.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:42 PM

4,914 posts, read 4,032,941 times
My sincere condolences.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:02 PM

5,423 posts, read 2,892,270 times
It makes me cry just typing this. I still miss my dog that went on to the Rainbow Bridge almost two years ago at the age of 15. You made the right decision.

I am sorry for you loss.

RIP Stomy.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:19 PM

19,813 posts, read 55,762,637 times
So very sorry. It is the last, best gift we can give our furbabies.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:35 PM

4,657 posts, read 7,661,273 times
It's our final act of love.

It's all we can do.

xxxxxx from me and my 5: Lily, Charcoal, Momma Mia, Bennie and Smudge.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:38 PM

7,184 posts, read 12,573,898 times
Awwww Catdad, I am so very sorry to read this. Stormy sounds like an amazing kitty and you were so lucky to have him in your life for almost 18 years (and of course he was so lucky to have YOU!).

RIP Stormy. You will live on in Catdad's heart forever.

hugs,
Karen

Old 01-14-2015, 09:05 AM

4,748 posts, read 11,325,606 times
Reading "ran for Rainbow Bridge" plucked a sensitive string. That's exactly what Weasie did as she slipped into her final coma three years ago TODAY. (As if I hadn't thought of that before. Not a chance.) She was semi-conscious, and fully relaxed for the first time in many months, when all of sudden all four of her legs started vigorously twitching. The vet told me that indicated she was in a dream state, and "she's running in her dream." Cynics would say Weasie was getting into an intense drug experience and having pleasant hallucinations. "Believers" would say she saw a bright doorway with her brother, parents, and other cats - and humans - who predeceased her waiting with open paws or arms. I fall into both camps to some degree, but know for certain that helping her pass away was absolutely the right thing to do.

Karma is hereby coming back to catdad for all of his sympathetic posts. I've been there! I know how it is! Virtual, "bro"-style, hugs from me too!

Except...I don't "know how it is" entirely. Weasie left no descendants (I'd made sure of that when she was about 8 months old.) Neither were there other cats to share territory and help keep me in check. But from what I hear, no matter what behavior results from the "alpha" and/or "elder" in a cat family being out of the picture, life will become interesting for a while. In the beginning there could be a period of mourning, anything from lethargy to wails of grief and refusing to eat - or not - but the hierarchy will now need to be re-established. So be watchful that things don't go too far.

Take good care.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:09 AM

4,748 posts, read 11,325,606 times
P.S. I picked up this expression from a City-Data forum, "of all places," only recently. But it's so true no matter how strange it sounds.

"Shared pain is halved, shared joy is doubled."

Old 01-14-2015, 09:17 AM

32,309 posts, read 59,585,988 times
So sorry about Stormy. He sounds like a very wonderful cat, indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or