Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 12:35 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,004,354 times

Advertisements

Last Saturday, we had our almost 14 year old maltese/poodle put to sleep. Of course, as these things sometimes go, we were on vacation in Yellowstone and had to rush him down to a vet in Jackson, WY, about an hour and a half from where we were staying.

I knew that the end was near for about the past month. When my parents came to visit at the end of August, my mom noticed that he was "off". In retrospect, I see that he was simply shutting down. On Thursday, he stopped eating and only was drinking chicken broth. We tried to get him as much "stinky stuff" as we could to try to whet his appetite, but of course, being in Yellowstone, this was not an easy feat. We took him out with us on Thursday and Friday, but his energy just was not there. On Friday night, he slept under the covers between me and my partner, as it was quite cold out and this was the only way to keep him warm. I kept one arm out over him, to make sure that my partner didn't roll over on him. On Saturday morning, he couldn't stand on his one usable hind leg to go to the bathroom. It was then that I made the decision to say goodbye.

After making a couple of calls, we found one non-emergency vet that could take us, down in Jackson. They sounded wonderful on the phone, so as hard as the decision was, they didn't make it harder. On the way there, my little buddy seized and voided. I wasn't sure that he was even going to make it to the vet. He did, barely. They didn't have to sedate him before giving him the overdose. I didn't stay with him- but my partner did. The vet was kind enough also to make sure that we'd be able to pick up his ashes on our way out of town on Thursday.

This little guy was only in my full charge for less than 3 years. I took him in after his previous owner, my fiance, passed away. Over all, I knew him for about 10 years of his life.

He was a wonderful little companion who went everywhere with my fiance. He lived through being hit by a car, and spent over 6 years with one usable back leg. In the past year or so, I became very grateful that the decision had been made not to amputate the leg (which still had blood flow, only the main nerve was severed), as he began to use it more and more for balance.

When I moved in with my current partner a little over a year ago, he obviously came with me. This little dog took an immediate shine to my partner, and the feeling was mutual. Every time we were out in the woods either camping or hiking, and there was even a little chill in the air, my partner would pick the dog up and snuggle him into his jacket or vest. He looks like the creature from "Alien" in some of the photos that we have.

I have no regrets as to the time that I spent with him, or the decision I made last Saturday. He had almost 14 years of good, quality life, and was certainly loved by everyone who spend time with him. I only wish that the timing had been such that he could have been buried with my fiance. My fiance's ashes were buried in Saskatchewan at the beginning of August.

RIP little buddy.
Attached Thumbnails
RIP our little buddy-dscn8014.jpg   RIP our little buddy-dscn6423.jpg   RIP our little buddy-img_2049.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 12:44 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,298,423 times

Old 09-18-2016, 01:01 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,583,612 times
He had a wonderful life with you. Although he had problems he was happy because of his love for you. It's so hard to lose them, but I believe that he's in a perfect place and in perfect health waiting for you.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:10 AM

2,398 posts, read 3,830,504 times
I'm sorry for your loss. Been there too many times. Thank you for caring for your little buddy.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:22 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,025,403 times
14 is a good long life and it sounds like he lived it well. They let you know when it's time.

Thank you for not letting him suffer.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:57 AM

15,217 posts, read 10,280,586 times
Thank you for loving him and not letting him suffer. It is a hard thing for us humans to do.

Old 09-18-2016, 11:20 AM

6,304 posts, read 9,004,354 times
Thanks all for your kind words.

Of course we feel the void now, but I know it was the right decision and I know that he had a very good life.

Old 09-18-2016, 12:14 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,770,748 times
So sorry for your loss. He had a good long life and knew he was loved. ((Hugs))

Old 10-27-2016, 01:07 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,353,357 times
I am sorry for your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge