U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-09-2017, 07:25 AM
 
2,181 posts, read 1,701,070 times
Reputation: 4903

Advertisements

My dog Gracie is almost 14.5 years old. She's a shepherd lab mix - about 70 pounds. She has a lot of the "old dog" ailments, but was getting along OK until 2 weeks ago when she came up lame in her front paws. The vet thinks it's either cancer or valley fever in her bones.

Up until 2 weeks ago we were still walking twice, sometimes three times a day. Almost 2 miles a day!

She's never missed a meal, but she can't control her bladder or her bowels and just today can't get comfortable. She can't lay down.

I always heard "When they stop eating, then you'll know it's time". She's looking for cookies right now.
I'm sick with guilt if I'm doing the right thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2017, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,823 posts, read 56,009,102 times
Reputation: 19019
You are. She is counting on you to make the best decision for HER, not for you. Let her go with dignity, as pain-free as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2017, 09:24 PM
 
2,181 posts, read 1,701,070 times
Reputation: 4903
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You are. She is counting on you to make the best decision for HER, not for you. Let her go with dignity, as pain-free as possible.

Thank you. I let her go today. Had a euthanasia service come to my home.
It was very quick and peaceful.

The pain of losing her is unbearable. If she was at a point where she wasn't eating it would have been so much easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2017, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,823 posts, read 56,009,102 times
Reputation: 19019
You did the right thing. She depended on you and loved you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2017, 01:50 AM
 
26,160 posts, read 15,362,692 times
Reputation: 17235
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah
You are. She is counting on you to make the best decision for HER, not for you. Let her go with dignity, as pain-free as possible.
Yes please dont feel guilty..... You would feel more guilty knowing she was in pain........


I know its very hard..... They are family members,its the hardest thing we have to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2017, 02:06 PM
 
Location: SW OK (AZ Native)
16,761 posts, read 7,470,175 times
Reputation: 7259
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
Thank you. I let her go today. Had a euthanasia service come to my home.
It was very quick and peaceful.

The pain of losing her is unbearable. If she was at a point where she wasn't eating it would have been so much easier.

It's been a year this weekend since we lost our Roxy. A few days earlier I had consulted with the vet for guidance regarding the difficult decision; one vet said "If I can't guarantee that life will be any easier tomorrow for her, then it's time and you'll probably know" which was quite nebulous and noncommittal. The other vet in the office was more forward... "She is likely not getting better, only worse, prolonging her life is your call but please account for distress she may be in." We had actually scheduled a day her euthanasia but were continually asking ourselves "Is this the best choice?" and "What right or power do we have to make this choice?" When Roxy stopped eating and drinking and then seized the day before she made that choice so much easier. There was no more doubt. We have a duty to ensure our best friends are well taken care of in life, and at the end of that life we need to ensure likewise that they are comfortable and loved. There should be no guilt; you gave Gracie the love she needed for 14+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2017, 02:58 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
3,543 posts, read 2,234,289 times
Reputation: 10607
RIP Gracie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2017, 03:07 PM
 
4,039 posts, read 2,616,414 times
Reputation: 8750
The "you'll know it's time when they stop eating" philosophy isn't always true. My dog was in liver failure and wanted to eat everything in sight literally right before I had to put him down.

You stopped her from suffering when there was no hope that she would get any better. It sounds like you did the right thing. Please don't second guess yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2017, 10:50 PM
 
2,181 posts, read 1,701,070 times
Reputation: 4903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes please dont feel guilty..... You would feel more guilty knowing she was in pain........


I know its very hard..... They are family members,its the hardest thing we have to do
Thanks, Dude. I think she tried to be so strong and not show me she was in pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2017, 10:55 PM
 
2,181 posts, read 1,701,070 times
Reputation: 4903
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
It's been a year this weekend since we lost our Roxy. A few days earlier I had consulted with the vet for guidance regarding the difficult decision; one vet said "If I can't guarantee that life will be any easier tomorrow for her, then it's time and you'll probably know" which was quite nebulous and noncommittal. The other vet in the office was more forward... "She is likely not getting better, only worse, prolonging her life is your call but please account for distress she may be in." We had actually scheduled a day her euthanasia but were continually asking ourselves "Is this the best choice?" and "What right or power do we have to make this choice?" When Roxy stopped eating and drinking and then seized the day before she made that choice so much easier. There was no more doubt. We have a duty to ensure our best friends are well taken care of in life, and at the end of that life we need to ensure likewise that they are comfortable and loved. There should be no guilt; you gave Gracie the love she needed for 14+ years.
Sluggish, Sorry about your sweet Roxy. Your "more forward" vet sounds just like Gracie's. I asked all the same questions. I have to stop beating myself up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top