U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 07:32 PM

516 posts, read 718,714 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I started a thread last year when my beloved Golden retriever was in his final days. Here it is:
My dog is dying and I need help.

I somehow completely forgot about it and only recently decided to come back to the city-data forum. I want to thank anyone and everyone who responded to my post back then(the thread has been closed since). Those were some awful days and I hope to never see or experience suc days ever again. Romeo passed away after a few days but he was turning on his back, his eyes rolling over, in much pain I think. I do not like to think of those days at all and even today the sight of a Golden Retriever makes me stop whatever I am doing or thinking.

One thing I would have wanted closure was....was it better to take him to put him down or would nature have eventually taken its course? As it so happened two other dogs in my locality passed away within a few months of each other and they both passed away peacefully in their homes. Everyone has an opinion, and perhaps none of us are too sure of anything, so it makes me ponder if I had taken the right decision.

I don't think I can have another pet- maybe a fish or turtle but not a dog. It will be very hard to fathom that the same days shall come again.

Thanks
Rishi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 07:38 PM

9,538 posts, read 10,847,553 times
You showed true love for your dog. You let him go to the world beyond pain and suffering.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:01 PM

1,568 posts, read 801,778 times
Personally, I've found that when I've lost a buddy, one who happens to be a dog, the best response is to find another dog.

But answers vary from one person to another.

These past few years, I've been reading a lot of stuff about dogs. It seems to be a regular thing for a lot of people - we humans meet one or two dogs in our lives who are "heart-friends". Meaning the dogs really touch something special inside us. And as far as we can tell, the dogs often feel the same way. Other dogs won't touch us quite so intimately. But they can still be buddies and friends. So, it sounds like your golden was a "heart" dog - you had that intimate friendship we sometimes get.

I would still recommend getting another dog. It won't be the same. Accept that. But the new dogs can still be friends and buddies. They are different, but they can still be buddies.

And, to address your spoken question - never second-guess your decisions in the past. You did the best you could, considering who you are, what you know, and what life had shown you until that day. Remember that - you did the best you could, on that day. Maybe the next day you would have made a different decision - but on THAT day, you did the best you could. Accept yourself, and don't blame yourself.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:51 PM

2,033 posts, read 828,709 times
Having her put down was probably the best decision, even though the hardest. Animals hide their pain so if it was obvious she was in pain she was probably in extreme pain. It would be great if they just fell asleep and peacefully died in their sleep but that is usually not what happens.

I've had to have all of my cats put down. The last one was in liver failure and was still active but suffering. I brought her to vet to confirm what was going on and brought her home for a few days. They did say they could treat her to prolong her life a little. I had gone through that with another cat in the past and it didn't go well and was very costly and I just couldn't afford it at this time. I wasn't working, husband lost job, son in college. She could not eat or drink water. She tried desperately to do so but couldn't. She was still alert and active but obviously suffering and had lost a lot of weight. It was horribly difficult and heart breaking.

That said, sometimes it's best to put your pet to sleep rather than prolong suffering, even though it hurts your heart, you're putting the animals needs first by having them put to sleep.

Maybe another dog will come into your life when the time is right, just when you least expect it. I almost ended up with a dog once at a adoption clinic at local pet supplies store, never had a dog only cats, but something was special about this dog. I knew I really couldn't but was in tears when I walked away, that had never happened before or since, but it just wasn't feasible. My sisters have all had Golden Retrievers, so I understand your heart break, those dogs get into your heart in the best way.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 01-20-2018 at 09:00 PM..

Old 01-22-2018, 06:13 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,781,243 times
Absolutely the right thing! It's the last best thing we can do for them.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:21 PM

9,568 posts, read 5,766,215 times
So sorry for your loss. We've lost two dogs in the last year and I know how hard it is. It sounds like you loved your dog very much and gave him a great life. I hope you are eventually able to focus on the good times and not dwell so much on those final days. Peace to you.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:12 AM

1,401 posts, read 839,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Hi.

I started a thread last year when my beloved Golden retriever was in his final days. Here it is:
My dog is dying and I need help.

I somehow completely forgot about it and only recently decided to come back to the city-data forum. I want to thank anyone and everyone who responded to my post back then(the thread has been closed since). Those were some awful days and I hope to never see or experience suc days ever again. Romeo passed away after a few days but he was turning on his back, his eyes rolling over, in much pain I think. I do not like to think of those days at all and even today the sight of a Golden Retriever makes me stop whatever I am doing or thinking.

One thing I would have wanted closure was....was it better to take him to put him down or would nature have eventually taken its course? As it so happened two other dogs in my locality passed away within a few months of each other and they both passed away peacefully in their homes. Everyone has an opinion, and perhaps none of us are too sure of anything, so it makes me ponder if I had taken the right decision.

I don't think I can have another pet- maybe a fish or turtle but not a dog. It will be very hard to fathom that the same days shall come again.

Thanks
Rishi
It's been my experience, with animals I had who passed away at home, without veterinary interception, that unfortunately, they did suffer during their last days or hours. One - many many many years ago - was a cat who my (then) vet insisted kept needing more tests, more tests, more tests...on the morning that Snooch died, he was scheduled for yet another test. He had lost an enormous amount of weight, hadn't been able to keep any food down, and had wasted away to skin and bones. Had I known, way back then, that not all vets are right, and had I been a stronger person, I would have insisted that he be humanely euthanized. Now I live with the fact that my beautiful little guy suffered - probably for several days, maybe longer - before his passing. The same thing happened with another cat of mine a few years later (same vet, btw). Tiger had a cancerous tumour under his jaw, and he couldn't eat well, was probably in pain, and he too wound up wasting away to skin and bones. The vet suggested I let him die at home, but after 3 days of Tiger lingering, not showing signs of giving up his terrible struggle, I took him back to the vet and insisted he be humanely euthanized. This, btw, was the first time I had ever asked for, and remained with, a pet while they were put down...before this I had always thought that I couldn't face watching a pet die. But after Tiger, I couldn't do it any other way. No matter how difficult it was on me, I couldn't bear the thought of one of my pets dying in a clinic without anyone around them that they knew and felt safe around, or worse, suffering a lingering, painful 'natural' death at home. Tiger taught me a great deal about the responsibility of pet ownership.

Nature can be horribly cruel. Death very often doesn't come quickly; it lingers, while the animal struggles to walk, or eat, or breathe. I did have one pet who passed peacefully on her own (so I assume) as her heart simply gave out in the middle of the night. But with just about every other pet though, as their health deteriorated, they experienced body deterioration, muscle loss, sometimes pain....and this is why vets will always recommend euthanasia when the animal is terminally ill. It's the most humane thing we can do for them. I would never again allow a pet to "linger" and trust that they will pass peacefully on their own.

In my opinion, you did the right thing, absolutely.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:16 AM

16,862 posts, read 8,665,100 times
Having to put down a pet, especially a dog, is one of the most difficult decisions to make. You did they right thing, as they should not suffer. I have had to do it with both dogs, and cats, and they are ALL tough times. They are family members, and we share our lives with them, and they give us unconditional love.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:24 PM

588 posts, read 142,724 times
I am so sorry for your loss.......

Its the hardest thing to do letting them go

Old 02-12-2018, 08:41 PM

212 posts, read 86,685 times
I had my beloved Golden Retriever Gingerbear put to sleep today. I was not expecting to do so, but I woke up this morning with a feeling of dread.

She turned 14 last Nov. 30th. I walked her everyday, and she would get tired but I just let her sit and waited until she felt like moving again. I am so glad I did, I think I gave her a great life and I loved her dearly. She was an incredible friend and angel to me. She stunk like hell sometimes but to me she smelled wonderful. I will always miss her scent, her intelligence and her personality.

She had a growth on her chest but I never took her to the vet because I had a kid in college to support and I was preparing to buy my house when the growth appeared a few years ago. The growth got larger recently and yesterday it tore open and dripped blood. I emailed the vet with pictures and the vet asked me to bring her in. She weighed 89 lbs., I had to ask my neighbor for help getting her into my car. The vet took an x ray and showed me a cancerous mass where her lung should be. That was why she was getting tired and had to rest. She probably could not breathe so well. The vet suggested I have her put to sleep so that she would not have further breathing problems that would cause her more suffering.

It was the first time I ever had to put a beloved pet down. I had her for over 14 years, and they just flew by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or