Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 02:24 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

I let my 2 ferrets have total freedom, have never caged a ferret (I've owned 7 over the years), they can freely wander all over the house, and the grass/vegetation in my courtyard and even the garage.

I am preparing to relocate to Tucson, and recently I had my roommate roll up al the area rugs in the house, one being 12 feet long. All the rugs you can see through the hole from one end to the other, except the 12 footer which has a small open slit to crawl through.

I had been missing my ferret Mickey for 4 days and there was only one way he could have gotten out, he could have crawled up into the bumper of my car and fell asleep there, as I took off to go the store, thinking then he might have fallen out of the bumper en route. Not so!

I had been noticing a deathly smell the last couple days and my roommate thought: You don't think he might have crawled through that 12 foot rug and got stuck in there?

Curiously, we rolled out the carpet tonite and sure as hell, there he was covered with maggots! He had made it 2/3rd of the way and then stopped!

I'm just hoping to God the poor guy didn't suffer too much, perhaps he suffocated quickly, as I don't want to go there, thinking he could have suffered in that carpet for 2-3 days!

At least I've got closure now! I was worried he may have fallen out of the bumper in route to the store, and I imagined him roaming blindly around neighborhoods thirsty/starving, or some abusive owner got a hold of him. Or, some how, he did find a way out of the garage, perhaps when I opened the garage door to take my bike out for a bike ride, or backing my car out, even though I'm super vigilant when I do that.

Rest in peace, my dear Mickey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 08:28 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
Oh no..so sorry to hear this. RIP to your dear little ferret.

I once had a friend whose cat jumped in her dryer when she wasn't looking. She turned it on, immediately went outside for about five minutes, came back in and heard something big bouncing around in the dryer. It was her cat--dead. Awful.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:38 AM

One of my ferrets one time jumped into my stand up freezer, unaware he had jumped in, but luckily, I had to get right back into the freezer to get something. Imagine! Not returning to the freezer for a day or 2!

Old 05-22-2018, 09:14 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
Oh wow!! Glad you got him out right away!!!

Old 05-22-2018, 09:44 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I let my 2 ferrets have total freedom, have never caged a ferret (I've owned 7 over the years), they can freely wander all over the house, and the grass/vegetation in my courtyard and even the garage.

I am preparing to relocate to Tucson, and recently I had my roommate roll up al the area rugs in the house, one being 12 feet long. All the rugs you can see through the hole from one end to the other, except the 12 footer which has a small open slit to crawl through.

I had been missing my ferret Mickey for 4 days and there was only one way he could have gotten out, he could have crawled up into the bumper of my car and fell asleep there, as I took off to go the store, thinking then he might have fallen out of the bumper en route. Not so!

I had been noticing a deathly smell the last couple days and my roommate thought: You don't think he might have crawled through that 12 foot rug and got stuck in there?

Curiously, we rolled out the carpet tonite and sure as hell, there he was covered with maggots! He had made it 2/3rd of the way and then stopped!

I'm just hoping to God the poor guy didn't suffer too much, perhaps he suffocated quickly, as I don't want to go there, thinking he could have suffered in that carpet for 2-3 days!

At least I've got closure now! I was worried he may have fallen out of the bumper in route to the store, and I imagined him roaming blindly around neighborhoods thirsty/starving, or some abusive owner got a hold of him. Or, some how, he did find a way out of the garage, perhaps when I opened the garage door to take my bike out for a bike ride, or backing my car out, even though I'm super vigilant when I do that.

Oh tijl, so sorry about your little pal....

Old 05-22-2018, 09:50 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:

Quote:
One of my ferrets one time jumped into my stand up freezer, unaware he had jumped in, but luckily, I had to get right back into the freezer to get something. Imagine! Not returning to the freezer for a day or 2!
Sorry for your loss, OP. Having free range animals comes with risks.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
Sorry for your loss, OP. Having free range animals comes with risks.
A great many ferret owners buy these big cages for their ferrets, and if I had to do that I wouldn't have a ferret as I can't stand the idea of putting any animal in a cage, even a gerbil. I've had ferrets for 25 years now, 7 of them, and in Phoenix, I went through a tremendous amount of work and money to ferret-proof my entire backyard, putting 22 inches of concrete around the perimeter, and a fence on top of the concrete, and I even embedded tubing underground, which I regretted later, as they could fall asleep in one of those tunnels and I pull my hair out wondering: did one of them escape from the backyard?

Old 05-22-2018, 11:38 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,640,250 times
tijlover, I am truly sorry to hear about the death of your beloved little ferret. He probably fell asleep and passed away painlessly. I don't know anything about ferrets (I am rather afraid of them truthfully), but I know the heartache of losing a dear family pet.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:37 AM

That's my supreme hope that he died as painlessly as possible! He leaves behind his brother, Zack, but he seems to be taking it quite well!

Old 06-21-2018, 06:15 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
So sorry for your loss. I had ferrets for quite a few years and they can get temselves into the craziest places. Ferret proofing was always an ongoing process. In my early ferret days I managed to loose a lovely big boy in a sofa bed accident.

Sounds like your babies have a veritable ferret paradidse. Mine did have to be in a cage ,for their safty, at times but they got lots of play time outside of it. Cages don't have to be prisons. Just as a dog will use a crate as a den so other animals can see see their cages as a safe haven. And a place you can have them when you are not able to keep a close eye on their adventeadventrous behaviors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge