Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:54 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,422,800 times

Advertisements

I know it sounds wonderful, but right now if anyone can share any stories of how it's real, I would really appreciate it.

I put my beloved dog to sleep on Saturday and the cremation service was yesterday. He was groomed and placed in a blue bed with a blue blanket and looked angelic. I kissed him and told him how much I loved him and then, well, you know.

Anyway, I am devastated and heartbroken. I had one dog die tragically three years ago, but my Teddy got me through it. Now this house feels like a morgue. I have zero interest in even cleaning it or taking care of myself. Something disturbing happened at 4 a.m. last night and now I'm afraid to sleep, even though I am exhausted. I think I may be losing it. I am supposed to start a new job this Monday and it feels like why even bother.

Anyway, I would really appreciate input about the Rainbow Bridge. I had hoped Teddy's spirit would stay with me for awhile, but I told him to go to the Rainbow Bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 05:13 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,212,068 times
Movin'...

Well, you have a lot of kindred spirits here who will mourn with you on the loss of your beloved Teddy. It is heartbreaking...most of us who frequent this forum know that all too well. So sorry for you, truly sorry.

Can we know it's real? I can't tell you for sure...but I can tell you that the Higher Power that brought me into this world surely must care for all the creatures. I have to believe...I have to. My dogs have taught me so many life lessons that I know they had a nobler purpose than to wait at the door or play with a ball. I don't believe they were "just dogs", but put in my life for a very special purpose. They've given me such joy and comfort, how could I not believe they will be with me in the end?

I think we all comfort ourselves with things we 'know' to be truths inside ourselves, so much depends on your own beliefs...I may not believe in Santa anymore, but I believe in the ongoing spirit of all things in some form or fashion.

Peace to you. It's very difficult to get through, but one day you will walk in the sunshine again and remember your precious Teddy and smile. I promise.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:23 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,270,783 times
I am, so truly sorry for your loss. And yes, at least in my heart...RainBow Bridge is very real. I have so many furkids waiting for me there....
Cyber hugs to you....It is hard to believe now, but the pain will subside and you will remember only the good and wonderful things about your beloved Teddy.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:57 PM

485 posts, read 1,948,377 times
Is the Rainbow Bridge real?

How could it not be?

Everything we need is going to be in Paradise(whatever form that may take). so our beloved pets must be there.

Now, after a few weeks, it's time to go to the shelter and start your next chapter-Teddy would want that.

There are lives to save! Eyes to adore you, tails to wag while they do it!

Teddy will be waiting.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakenten View Post
Is the Rainbow Bridge real?

How could it not be?

Everything we need is going to be in Paradise(whatever form that may take). so our beloved pets must be there.

Now, after a few weeks, it's time to go to the shelter and start your next chapter-Teddy would want that.

There are lives to save! Eyes to adore you, tails to wag while they do it!

Teddy will be waiting.
Well, I always have thought if there is a God it would be an awfully cruel one to not let our pets live on, so thanks for reminding me.

I am not sure I can ever have another dog though, as it just hurts too much when they leave and the pain never goes away. There can never be another Teddy, I am afraid and I think I'd feel like I was betraying his memory to get another dog. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I am, so truly sorry for your loss. And yes, at least in my heart...RainBow Bridge is very real. I have so many furkids waiting for me there....
Cyber hugs to you....It is hard to believe now, but the pain will subside and you will remember only the good and wonderful things about your beloved Teddy.
Thank you. I want to believe, but I wish there was more evidence of a real Rainbow Bridge. Does it ever get easier? Each successive loss? My mother always used to tell me my dog won't live forever, but I always thought it was off somewhere in the distant future. His illnesses came on, both serious, in a matter of a couple of days.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Movin'...

Well, you have a lot of kindred spirits here who will mourn with you on the loss of your beloved Teddy. It is heartbreaking...most of us who frequent this forum know that all too well. So sorry for you, truly sorry.

Can we know it's real? I can't tell you for sure...but I can tell you that the Higher Power that brought me into this world surely must care for all the creatures. I have to believe...I have to. My dogs have taught me so many life lessons that I know they had a nobler purpose than to wait at the door or play with a ball. I don't believe they were "just dogs", but put in my life for a very special purpose. They've given me such joy and comfort, how could I not believe they will be with me in the end?

I think we all comfort ourselves with things we 'know' to be truths inside ourselves, so much depends on your own beliefs...I may not believe in Santa anymore, but I believe in the ongoing spirit of all things in some form or fashion.

Peace to you. It's very difficult to get through, but one day you will walk in the sunshine again and remember your precious Teddy and smile. I promise.
Thanks Sam I Am. It makes me wonder why humans ever get another pet after the loss of a pet. I've only experienced two deaths now of pets, up close and personal, and each of these has been devastating. It would have been easier for me to have someone put my dog to sleep without my presence, but I had to be there to hold him at the end. Anyway, I'm babbling, but it does help to get all of this out. Thanks for writing.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:05 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,270,783 times
Ya know....after each of my pets have passed...I always think...no more! It's just not worth it! But, then I give it some thought...and I realize it is so worth all the love that is returned to us from these guys. Where else can one recieve such unconditional love...they could care less if we gain weight, wear make-up or do our hair. All they require of us are kind words and nourishment...and we get so much more in return from them.
I guess in a way, I have been lucky. Whenever a pet of mine has passed, I've always had another along side me. One who I could just hold and cry on...I honestly think they understood how much I was hurting.
You will know when and if you are ready for another furkid. Please..don't think you are being unfaithful to Teddy or even that he is being replaced. Teddy will always hold a special place in your heart... you may not think it now...but you will have room in your heart for another. Feel better soon!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:58 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,212,068 times
Movin', this was on another thread, about grief following the loss of a pet...maybe you'll find something comforting there?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/...-loss-pet.html

Don't rush yourself - give yourself time. Maybe one day you will feel like giving all your love to another unfortunate, lost or unwanted animal who needs you, but I agree with Shelby - only you will know if or when it is time. I always look at it kind of Biblically..."whatsoever you have done for the least of these, you have also done for me"...

I really feel for you and hope you sleep better tonite. Know that you did the right thing...Teddy was comforted by your presence and left this world knowing true love...and that's all any of us, man or beast, really want.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:50 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,763,036 times
I felt this way about my Minh. I lost him in April. He was an awesome cat. The best cat ever! I felt I could not ever get another kitty, felt it would hurt his feelings.....

Then one day, a pair of little vagabond feral kittens took up residence of all places, under my riding mower! They were wild little men, hissing, and spitting, not that they could do much damage as tiny as they were! They were eventually caught by us, and domesticated....sadly one of them did not live, but the other did.....his name is Shadow T. Cat.

I feel that Minh sent them to us. Why? That's precisely how we met HIM. He came to our house, and was helped to have a great life for six years, and these little guys needed the same! They were sick, and with an uncertain future....and while little Chessie did not survive, Shadow continues to grow into a beautiful boy, and I feel now, that while he can never be my Minh kitty, he makes me laugh, smile, and feel better....and I would bet, that makes Minh feel happier, in the realm of spirit, knowing that mommy will care for another kitty who needed help....I think he would have been saddened, and truly hurt, had I turned away from these little guys.....

I miss Minh, and even now, months later, I still have my bad moments, where I cry, and cry, and wish he were still here.....but then, here comes Shadow, to jump up in my lap, and purr, nuzzle me up, and remind me that he loves me too....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge