Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:44 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey77 View Post
Movin...I thought the same thing and I did not put my little dog down. She was still eating, going to the bathroom and kind of was here mentally. I thought I was being cruel to put her down. Well, I have to say, I would NEVE EVER do that again. This little dog had a hard death. I got her in to the vets, but she went through hell the last 48 hours. I was cruel and selfish. I wanted her so bad, that now I look back, I did not take good care of her. For me, Loving them is letting them NOT suffer. I learned at my little dog's expense. I have 2 other yorkies. The first sign that it is terminal and they might suffer, I am putting them down. Believe me, this goes against everything I had in me about animals, their life and taking life. I was not responsible before, this will NEVER be again.
I do identify with your pain, but for a different reason. Thanks for your post. Now I have my GF whose dog is in the hospital. Dogs die way too young, and I wonder why God set it up that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 06:55 PM

485 posts, read 1,953,297 times
Now, what would a dog do if we went first?

God knows what to do, and his is a gentle hand.

He put us in charge of His animals, and asks us to care for them wisely.

An orphaned dog is not a happy dog-they give their hearts but once, even though they will love another, it's not the same.

Remember, if you feel your dog suffered, dogs are forgiving creatures, you can tell her how sorry you are when you see her again.

Meanwhile, life goes on, get to the dog pound, there are lives to save, and not a minute to lose!

Old 08-16-2008, 07:13 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,195,706 times
Oh gosh, I wish I hadn't seen this thread! My eyes are red from crying for all who posted.

I have had to send several furbabies over the rainbow bridge and none of them was easy on me and decades later, I still cry for their loss. As much as I cry I still feel peace in knowing I put them out of their suffering and I loved them enough to let them go. Last one was a year ago, my baby was a 26 year old Maine Coon cat. So many wonderful years but I had to end her suffering. Broke my heart as did all the others but she was special. Please don't beat yourself up, movin'on. You loved your baby more then you realize. Stopping the suffering is the most loving act of all. Peace and comfort to all.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:33 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,965,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I do identify with your pain, but for a different reason. Thanks for your post. Now I have my GF whose dog is in the hospital. Dogs die way too young, and I wonder why God set it up that way.
I know what you mean. In the case of mine, I felt that she was brought into my life (and I into hers) and precisely the moment when we needed each other most. Then the loss seems very cruel...but I can only hope that whatever purpose she had here has been fulfilled, as is the case with yours.

I'm kinda new age-y that way

Old 08-20-2008, 08:39 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,507 times
To all that have posted here.

I am so very sorry for the losses you've endured and the decisions you have had to make one way or the other.
Please know this; Each of us loves our pets and we want what is best for them. We love them and care for them to the very best of our ability. We eventually at some point have to make this ultimate decision. We always look back and try to figure out if we could or should have done something different throughout our journey with our furry loved ones. When we are told that our pet is either in pain, suffering or only has maybe X amount of time. We are useually under a ticking clock and do not have a lot of time to make this decision. But WE always try to think of the pets best interests and do not want them to suffer.
I know it is easier said than done, but please try to understand that you in your heart you tried to do what is best for your loved one. I've had to have more than one of my cats put to sleep. Each time it broke mt heart more. I held one until the end and I know I couldn't do that again. I felt as though I betrayed each of them. Even 20 plus years later I still cry over my decision.
I am so very sorry for you here and anyone that has to make this decision just as much as anyone that faces the passing of their pet in any other way. No matter which way out pets leave us, there is a severe and deep loss and the pain that endures a long time.
I hope your heart and mind come to peace soon.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:26 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times
movinon,

I chose not to even be present when they put my baby down because I personally couldn't handle it. Like you, my dog's platelets were extremely low. He got better while on IV fluids. As soon as the took him off, he began to decline rapidly.

You really showed much love for your dog. Even having him cared for at home shows how much you loved him. You said in your post that the procedure wasn't peaceful. Having the procedure not be peaceful has to have made it more difficult for you to assimilate.

I am still grieving for my dog but I know I did the right thing for him. He was really sick and suffering.

You may want to find a grief support group in real life where you can work through some of this. A person can get stuck in grief when they blame themselves.

You did the right thing.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:45 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
go easy on yourself. you did the best that could be done for your friend knowing what you knew at the time.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
go easy on yourself. you did the best that could be done for your friend knowing what you knew at the time.
Yeah, but if I'd only waited longer, I could have spent more time with him. Perhaps I was selfish and should have given things more time...

Old 08-23-2008, 11:46 AM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,387,317 times
Maybe just learn what you can frm the loss of this pet.

Your response is normal. No pet loss is easy. Every time I've lost a pet, and I've had many, so lost many, I always have what-ifs and should-I-haves pop into my mind. We can only do the best we can for each pet.

I wise woman once told me that we make the best decisions we can at any given time knowing what we did at that time. And that is all anyone can ask.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Maybe just learn what you can frm the loss of this pet.

Your response is normal. No pet loss is easy. Every time I've lost a pet, and I've had many, so lost many, I always have what-ifs and should-I-haves pop into my mind. We can only do the best we can for each pet.

I wise woman once told me that we make the best decisions we can at any given time knowing what we did at that time. And that is all anyone can ask.
Thanks, I don't know that I can ever get another dog. It's been four weeks now and I am still really not ok.

I play it over and over in my head. I was told he might not make it through the night. He had a mass in his body and there was free floating fluid, which they suspected was blood. I was afraid he would have a painful death. I was afraid he would die during the night. I thought enthanasia was supposed to be painless. Thank God I got the shot before the shot so he didn't quite know what was going on. The Dr. was very compassionate. Even after he arrived he let me have some alone time with Teddy and waited outside in the car. He even sent me a sympathy card and everyone in the office signed it. I had him groomed for the cremation so I could spend some time with him. He looked like an angel and the lady took some pics on her cell phone and sent them to me. My GF printed them out on photo paper for me. Every Monday night I light a candle for both dogs I lost. There is a worldwide candle lighting ceremony where everyone lights candles at the same time.

At any rate, I really do appreciate all the support in this thread and thanks to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge