Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 06:51 PM

240 posts, read 1,284,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiWrites View Post
I never realized how much life he brought into the apartment. It is so quiet now. I have thought about getting another cat but when I go to look for one I never find the right one.

I am glad there are others who feel like I do. It is hard to get people who don't have pets to understand that the loss can be as great as losing a person. I am glad we have this board to all be together.
Your original post brought tears as I read it, RiWrites. I could feel your love for Minx, and I could envision Minx playing with the candy, or just the candy wrapper. I know too well that hollow, empty feeling you have now that Minx has passed over. There is no cure for that... except time. True too, talking about your feelings, sharing them here and elsewhere, helps in some way. It brings them back to life in a certain way... and certainly Minx lives on -- not only in your heart, mind and soul, but now here, for those of us who have read your posts.

I have had twenty-two cats in my life time. Actually many more have come into my life but left after a brief time for various reasons, so I don't include them as 'mine' although I remember them. Each of those twenty-two was unique and each was loved for his/her uniqueness. Some were loved---oh I hate to say this but it is true: some were loved more than others because some were more lovable. There are cats, and then there are CATS! It's the same with people... some stand out more, some are bigger than life.

A cat can change your life. When my beloved tabby named Alex died in 2003 after a year-long struggle with kidney disease, I had to get away to deal with the loss. I went on a car trip alone (accompanied by my dog) and left my husband home to care for our other dog and our five remaining cats. I wound up travelling--for no apparent reason--to Oregon. I looked at a house that I fell in love with, and realized the area would be the perfect place to retire. On the telephone I convinced my husband of that, put an offer in on the house, and we are now living in it. Our whole life changed in the six months following Alex's death. His life and subsequent death created that change ... all for the better. I sometimes thank Alex outloud for bringing me to this beautiful area, where I found--quite quickly--five more kitties, all who really needed me, and I them.

Trust me, RIWrites---you don't need to look for another cat...a cat with your name emblazed in his/her heart is out there waiting to find you. Trust that. When the time is right, he/she will appear. Some how in some place your new cat will suddenly appear.

Of the five new kitties I've come to live with since moving to Oregon, two are most special. PurrGirl lives up to her name. She is the friendliest cat I've ever known. She constantly purrs, and drools a little too, even at the vet's! Doesn't matter who comes in to the house, Purr greets them and entertains them for as long as they stay, rubbing up against them, jumping up on their lap, purring all the while. She's medium-long hair brown tabby with big golden eyes and a heart bigger than the state in which we live. Most loving cat ever.

The extra-special love of my life, and my husband's too, is our cat named Leo. He is a Lynx point Siamese with blue eyes. I was volunteering at the animal shelter when he came in at 3-days of age; he needed a foster home, so I took him home. I hadn't planned on keeping him but I'm glad it worked out that I did. I bottle fed him and watched him grow from a scrawny bundle of buff-colored fur into a full grown (though still relatively small--9 lbs.) kitty with tabby-like markings. He has some health issues still, a herpes eye and something else going on with his nasal passage. I can only hope that given his daily treatments and all the love & attention, quality food & vitamins and everything else that we give & do for Leo, he will be with us for ... 19 years! At least. That is my hope, my prayer.

Our days revolve around keeping Leo entertained! When he's feeling well, he is very active, and we make the most of it. His favorite game is called 'sticky' which involves flashing a stick around for him to chase or jump at and eventually carry away. He rides on my husband's shoulders, investigates my husband's fly-tying material, rough-houses & tumbles with his kitty-siblings who flee for their life, and watches the birds out the window. Leo is a blessing beyond words.

When you love a cat or a dog or any animal, you must acknowledge that someday they will break your heart when they die. It comes with the territory. Their years here on earth are far too short. And as hard as that sorrow and grief is for us to bear after they've passed, the time during which they are alive and with us makes it more than worthwhile.

I hope your new kitty finds you soon, RIWrites. In the meantime, honor your Minx. Please know that Minx's spirit continues on, I'm convinced of that. And remember too, love never dies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 06:08 AM

56 posts, read 120,981 times
So sorry for your loss Minx sounds like a wonderful friend. I'm beginning to realize that it doesn't get easier as far as missing them goes. My 15yr old Pomeranian, Elvis passed away in October and I still have days when I sit here sobbing. Definitely a void in my life that can never be replaced, he was a special little guy too.
*hugs*

Old 10-22-2012, 08:29 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Reading these posts are tough but as time goes on it gets easier to deal with. I have 5 senior cats ages 6-16 & my oldest cat is having problems with his mouth & drooling. Im taking him to the vets this thurs. I sure hope its not a major health problem. Hes eating, drinking & using the cat box with no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge