Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 04:47 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,145,087 times

Advertisements

I don't know why I'm writing this...probably it'll just make me feel better, and I figure if anyone undertands, it'll be folks in this forum.

I'm over 50 and have had dogs my entire life. I've had them die of old age, had to put them down, had two stolen, had one killed when it was run over, had one killed when a cougar mauled it, but I've never felt as badly over losing one as this one.

We got him as an abused pup. He had the sweetest disposition and was soooooo laid back and calm. He was a mutt and became our "main" farm dog. He was half Australian Shepard and half German Shepard. Never was aggressive toward anyone, and in fact would have liked him to be a little more than he was. We used to say we wish he could at least make someone (prowlers) THINK he might bite them, because he was a big dog, weighing 95 pounds most of his life. If someone ever came to the place he'd either welcome them at the car with his tail wagging, or usually, not even get up but just lay there thumping his tail on the ground.

He was an outdoor dog...he wouldn't even come into a building, house, barn, garage, shed...he'd either stand at the door you went in or lay down outside it and wait for you. He never went to the bathroom in the yard...always out in a field...nothing we trained him for (what training?). He never bothered skunks, never rolled in anything unpleasant, never brought dead things home, never roamed much. If he did, he seemed to know where our lands boundaries was and stayed there.
For the last several years, I've worked as a contractor and he accompanied me to most job sites. He'd just stay under my truck.

He protected my wife and I once while out for a walk when 3 large dogs tried to attack us. He sent them all packing...only the second time I've seen him fight another animal.

When he was about 2, someone shot him during deer season. He disappeared for a week and showed up with an exit wound about 6 inches across and several inches deep. He pulled through, however, he always had a divot in that shoulder and was a little clumsy. That set up elbow dysplasia in the opposite leg because of favoring that shoulder and arthritis. He was almost 9 when he started having a hard time walking when it got cold out, so we made him an indoor dog. We had to pick him up and carry him in the house for the first couple of weeks because he didn't think he should be inside. After that, no problems. Never an accident in the house.

Monday morning he threw up his breakfast...the first time he'd done anything like that in the house. I didn't think much of it as dogs will throw up every once in a while. He spent most of Monday outside...came in the evening as usual. We didn't feed him that night because he thought he might still have an upset stomach. The next day he seemed fine, but didn't eat, slept nearly all day, but he'd been doing that more and more the last few months. But, the next morning, Thursday, he was retching repeatedly, shaking, drooling, I figured he was dying. He was.

His stomach had twisted and cut off the blood supply to the stomach. The vet opened him up, rotated it, but found the stomach had already started dying and apparently toxins had started effecting his heart. The vet also found cancer in his lungs, fairly advanced ...which I think explains all the sleeping lately. The vet said with portions of the stomach already dead, there wasn't much to do for him. The vet gave me the shot, so I took him home, let my wife and grown kids say bye to their dog, dug his grave, and carried him out there and did what I had to do. Even though he was groaning with pain with every breath, his tail was wagging being with me and every time I'd talk his tail would go. He wagged his tail until he was dead.

I don't know why losing this dog bothers me so much...I've loved every dog I've had (well, nearly every one). Raised on a ranch and I farm a little and have livestock now, so I don't have a 'disney' view of animals, but losing this guy has bothered me more than any before. Maybe I'm getting old and sentimental or soft.

I'm sure I'll have another good dog, and one I'll like, but doubt I'll have one like this old boy. I miss him and will for some time. Of course, we keep looking for him when we go outside, or expect to see him, and it's always a jolt when we don't. That'll last for a little while.

Thanks for listening and letting me do this public therapy. Funny how you can get attached to them. Nice how you can get attached to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 04:54 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,242,916 times
I am so sorry about the loss of your dog. Sounds like he was quite a fellow. You don't say his name, but what matters is how much you loved him. He was surely greeted at the Bridge by many of our pets. Sending good thoughts and hugs to you and your family during this difficult time. The least demanding pets are usually the ones that just steal your heart.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:56 PM

958 posts, read 1,098,564 times
What you did was right.
Your friend will never leave your heart.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:01 PM

519 posts, read 1,372,569 times
I am so sorry about your family losing your fur baby. Its definatly a hard part of life. I also understand the part about some dogs being much harder than others, sometimes their is just a bond between us that no one can explain, some are much stronger than others. I had a collie at age 2 was run over, super long story but she was not like any other dog I have ever had, told my husband for years that she was an angel sent from heaven. She had a ora about her, and seem to know my emotions like any other dog I have had. Time will heal your wounds. God Bless and I am truly sorry for your loss.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:06 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,008,955 times
I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you for taking in an abused dog and giving him a good life. It sounds like he had a wonderful life with you and your family.
He knew he was loved and he loved you, too.

It's hard to say goodbye to a friend.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:31 PM

33,943 posts, read 22,384,141 times
I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend. He sounds like he was a great companion and just all around good boy. You've written him a fine tribute. There's always that one special, forever, friend that you can never forget. Peace be with you.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:33 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,850,332 times
We are also so sorry for you loss. Stomach torsion is a tough one and you did the right thing. He will always be with you in spirit and, like your other past dogs, you'll be able to one day think of him and just smile without the pain.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,358,303 times
Thank you so much for taking him in and loving him after someone had been so terrible to him. He knew you loved him and he showed his devotion to you, right to the end.

You did the right thing letting him go when it was time. Sometimes the best way we can show our love and our appreciation for their friendship is to let them go.

RIP fella. We've all got tons of buddies up there to hang out with you.

"I am sending you on a journey to a land free from pain..not because I didn't love you but because I loved you too much to force you to stay."

author unknown

Old 01-31-2010, 05:43 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,270,783 times
My deepest sympathies on the loss of your friend. Losing one of the furfamily is always difficult, but take some comfort in knowing you did the right thing. He is free of pain. RIP

Old 01-31-2010, 06:27 PM
ZSP

1,765 posts, read 5,098,053 times
I'm so sorry for your loss - the love and devotion of a good dog is truly a special gift. Rest in peace, Sweet Boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Rainbow Bridge