Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:09 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

Today's issue of int Indy Weekly has the results of the 2010 "Best of Poll". Rankings of everything from best local wine store to best local blog.

Speaking of blogs. Check out the winner. It's a city-data alum - Mr. Bull City Rising. Way to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 05:38 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
i saw earlier on facebook buku won (deservedly) for best new restaurant in wake county, so i figured they must have announced the winners
glad to see a number of my picks won or made it to the finals. reading through all of the categories and winners made me realize 3 things: how much cool stuff we have here, how much i've already gotten to know my new home, and how much i still have left to check out!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:48 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
I can't argue too much with bull city rising, but I still think endangered durham is one of the most amazing resources around. We're very lucky to have it in our community, and if you've never read it, give it a look.

Moderator cut: No links to outside blogs, please

Old 06-09-2010, 07:52 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
Ack! Forgot to vote again this year.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:34 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
...and PF Chang wins Best Chinese.

Sigh.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:31 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,159,097 times
^yeah that was kind of disappointing. at least duck and dumpling made it to the finals...

Old 06-10-2010, 07:35 AM

804 posts, read 2,004,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
I can't argue too much with bull city rising, but I still think endangered durham is one of the most amazing resources around. We're very lucky to have it in our community, and if you've never read it, give it a look.
i concur. i wish we had one for raleigh.

i'll have to browse the list of other items but i always love to see the local favorites for new ideas.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:57 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post

Sigh.
I agree... I hate to see chains win out over locals, but maybe that's an indication that there are no good locals... I do like D&D though.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:15 AM

355 posts, read 958,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post

Sigh.
And this is why readers choice awards are completely worthless. Any place with name recognition or multiple locations has a huge advantage over a small, less publicized, less advertised, neighborhood place with a single location. Most voters cannot possibly have covered the breadth of entries in every category and end up choosing the one familiar name on the list, leading to results like this.

Updated: Ok, the Indy list isn't terrible and there are a lot of well deserved picks on this list. Still, PF Changs?

Last edited by Clever User Name; 06-10-2010 at 08:29 AM..

Old 06-10-2010, 08:35 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
And this is why readers choice awards are completely worthless. Any place with name recognition or multiple locations has a huge advantage over a small, less publicized, less advertised, neighborhood place with a single location. Most voters cannot possibly have covered the breadth of entries in every category and end up choosing the one familiar name on the list, leading to results like this.

Updated: Ok, the Indy list isn't terrible and there are a lot of well deserved picks on this list. Still, PF Changs?
To be honest, the list of dining is pretty outstanding from a local vs chain perspective.

I could argue with Chubby's Tacos winning best tacqueria over Tacqueria La Vaquita or Super Taqueria, but at least its not on the border. Pretty much every category of dining has several local spots listed, and in most cases a local spot wins (particularly in Durham and Chapel Hill...Wake readers apparently have a greater appreciation for chains).

Not a bad list at all, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary