Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 06:21 PM

57 posts, read 140,873 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Raleigh from Florida in 3 wks and I am totally lost on what and when registration and vehicle/ highway taxes are due. Could someone please help a newcomer out? I went on the NC DMV site but the info just confused me more because it didn't provide timeframes of when all of this due.

Also, my husband will remain in Florida for about a month or so and I would think he is not required to do anything just yet?

Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 06:31 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,949,514 times
Even the people who have been here all their life are confused...
I would just take everything possible and a checkbook to
a DMV when you get here (title & tag place ..not license)

Take
Birth Certificate
ID
Tags
Registrations
License
Proof of Insurance..

I would think you have a period of time to get stuff
transfered to NC.

There is a Tag/Title place in Holly Ridge off Old Wake Forest Rd & 440.

Don't worry about the taxes..They will let you know when & what you owe...

Old 06-09-2010, 06:41 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,949,514 times
I just looked it up and it looks like you have to get your NC Drivers License
before you register a car in NC.
It says you cannot use the temporary license they give you but need the
permanent one that they mail out in a few weeks.

This is a link about what to take to get your NC License...

NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Applying for a Driver License or Learner Permit?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:20 AM

57 posts, read 140,873 times
Thank you so much for your help!

Old 06-10-2010, 11:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,261,093 times
moderator note:
thread relocated from the state forum
for better response

Old 06-10-2010, 12:53 PM

523 posts, read 1,321,437 times
Default Quick summary

The DMV site that kelly237 posted has all of the info, but here's a quick summary:

1) Obtain NC liability insurance.

2) Get an NC driver license (they will ask to see your proof of insurance, SS card, etc.).

3) Apply for an NC title and license plate at any DMV tag office after your permanent DL arrives in the mail. You'll pay the license fee and highway use tax when you apply for the title/plate.

4) Your property tax bill will be sent to you by your county of residence (Wake, in the OP's case) about 3 months after registration.

Note that you can go to any DL office or tag office in the state, not just the ones in your county. Only cash and checks are accepted for both DLs and tags.

There is a safety/emissions inspection requirement, but since you're coming from out of state, you won't need an inspection until your first annual tag renewal comes up: NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: No More Sticker! New Electronic Inspection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary