Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:35 PM

8 posts, read 12,277 times

Advertisements

Making the move to area. We were looking in Chapel Hill where we have some family but will be working in RTP. Problem we found with CH was the price point (600k-800K) and the lack of fit and finish in these homes. Seem the owners went for square footage over upgrades. Very disappointing. Now we are looking at Wake county, schools were a big issue that kept us from looking earlier (busing and year round track). We're planning another trip down. My question is: Are we going to see the same issue with quality of so called custom built homes? Any feedback will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 05:52 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,074,529 times
Maybe I need more coffee, but I would submit that the construction quality is more influenced by the builder than the location.
Granted that the quality various a bit in this region, but you might be better served by finding a custom builder you like first. Many custom builders in this area are high end, although some of the smaller builders here also build moderately priced homes.
As is the norm, you will find quality/detail vs price point vs size vs location tradeoffs. That's when the decisions start

There's a recent thread here about Ethan's Glen in North Raleigh. With a link to a thread with pics by NRG. Wake County, but give it a look. Understand that the same in Chapel Hill will cost more .

Welcome,
Frank

Old 06-10-2010, 06:22 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midrelo View Post
Making the move to area. We were looking in Chapel Hill where we have some family but will be working in RTP. Problem we found with CH was the price point (600k-800K) and the lack of fit and finish in these homes. Seem the owners went for square footage over upgrades. Very disappointing. Now we are looking at Wake county, schools were a big issue that kept us from looking earlier (busing and year round track). We're planning another trip down. My question is: Are we going to see the same issue with quality of so called custom built homes? Any feedback will be appreciated!

It does depend on the builder. In Raleigh, take a look at The Hamptons at Umstead. Beautiful area and in the middle of Raleigh. There are so many nice areas, just depends on your criteria.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:26 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,088,202 times
Quote:
My question is: Are we going to see the same issue with quality of so called custom built homes? Any feedback will be appreciated!
Gosh, just make sure you go for a true custom builder and not a national one. We live in a DR Horton home and definitely went for square footage over custom touches b/c we needed more room for our dollar. My SIL lives in a custom home, I forget the builder, but it's in Amberly in NW Cary and the houses there are beautiful but hers is a couple hundred square feet smaller than ours and cost almost $100k more. However, you can certainly get more for your dollar in many parts of Wake.

I know lots of folks here will have better suggestions than I since I haven't lived here long enough to know, but I would suggest looking at Amberly, if only to see many different builders' models in a single subdivision, since they're not being built by a single builder but many. You can get a range of sizes, floor plans, and styles. Small lots, though.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the feed back. We will look into these places. NW Wake county has looked inviting but would like to know how close 540 will be and noise from it. I believe Amberly will be safe from that. I hope it wasn't read the wrong way, but we are very excited to be coming back to NC. Just don't want to leave a stone un turned in the process.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:46 AM

ANNESG... Your SIL lives in Amberly. Do they have children? If so, do they attend Chatham County schools. Any feedback would be great

Old 06-10-2010, 08:48 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,074,529 times
540 through NW Wake County is completed (actually completed long enough that some of it was just repaved).
Neighborhoods like Ethan Glen off NC 98 are 4-5 miles north of 540. Some locations in NW Wake are impacted by aviation noise and the landing vs takeoff patterns are somewhat different so just because one day is quiet, another may not be. RDU publishes noise contour maps at their website.

Do you have a commute to worry about?

Frank

Old 06-10-2010, 10:01 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
NW Wake county has looked inviting but would like to know how close 540 will be and noise from it. I believe Amberly will be safe from that.
I don't know where this place is, but as someone who can literally see (and hear) 540 from my house, noise is not a problem (especially if you are coming from somewhere like Chicago!). I don't even notice the ever-present "whoosh" of cars going by, and being an Interstate, it's not like you're hearing horns blaring all the time--just an occasional siren, which of course you're going to hear anywhere.

So addressing just this one factor, I think it's moot unless you are very sensitive to noise.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:01 PM

Thanks, probably miswrote there. NW Cary is probably what I should have written

Old 06-10-2010, 05:31 PM

Does anyone have any thoughts on Chatham County and maybe more specific The Preserve at Jordan Lake? We heard the The Legacy was going into foreclosure. Our oldest is 9, so we would be settling down for a while. We wonder if civilization will arrive with 540 coming down to 64
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary