U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-13-2010, 08:28 AM

110 posts, read 165,694 times
Default Warped view of what a long a long commute is in this area

I not only agree that people here have a warped view of what is a long commute but are generally obsessed with having everything in their lives so convienient that they've become spoiled. Can you blame them? There is a Harris Teater on every block it seems, shopping centers within a few short miles of one another, schools literally in neighborhoods and many, many other convieniences. Heck, I moved here partially because of that. This is a "planned" area and is a great place to live.
Saying all that, when I tell neighbors or co-workers that I drive 25 minutes to work, I get looked at like I'm crazy. I meet people that live in my town...Cary...who have lived here 10 years and have never been to the other side of town or ask ME for directions to places. I find that people are generally put off by having to drive more than 10 minutes anywhere.
I think it would be terrific to live 10 minutes from work but I'm not making that the priority when deciding among other factors such as schools, neighborhood, home prices and town.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-13-2010 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: No discussion of Mod activity, per the TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-13-2010, 08:35 AM

223 posts, read 318,626 times
I totally agree with you. And this isn't unique to NC. In Mass in the small town my husband grew up in, there are hardly any good jobs to be had. When his brother got laid off, they looked at us like we were crazy that we suggested he look for work in the "city" that was 30 miles away. My sister in law turned down a job that required her to drive 10 additional minutes into the next town (total commute 20 m inutes). We choose to live where we feel most comfortable. The jobs are important but I do not want to live right next to where I work for sure.

Unread 06-13-2010, 09:10 AM

7,043 posts, read 12,873,850 times
I tell my neighbors all the time how spoiled I am with having EVERYTHING so convenient. If I didn't WANT to, I could easily stay in my 3 mile bubble and never HAVE to leave it!

Unread 06-13-2010, 10:51 AM

2,488 posts, read 3,825,553 times
It's a funny commentary since most prefer the convenience of having everything close to home, but I don't think it allows for people to explore the area much.

I grew up in N. Raleigh and there were always set opinions for other areas of town. We were always scared of going downtown, Chapel Hill was full of hippies, Durham was unsafe, Cary seemed so far away etc etc. Finally being able to explore the area has given me a great appreciation for the Triangle and its many cities/towns. I still enjoy living close to work though, but don't mind driving further for entertainment.

Unread 06-13-2010, 11:08 AM

388 posts, read 496,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPPWUS View Post
I find that people are generally put off by having to drive more than 10 minutes anywhere.
And this affects your life how?

Unread 06-13-2010, 12:06 PM

276 posts, read 410,843 times
LOL I love this convenience. You are right tho, my kids go to a school that is about 2 miles away, Our PCP and Pediatrician are about 3 miles, Library 2.5 miles away and several grocery stores within 1.5 miles ahh life is perfect

Unread 06-13-2010, 12:12 PM

1,541 posts, read 2,496,081 times
wasn't there JUST a thread on this? i don't see what the issue is. no sane person wants their commute in rush hour traffic to be any longer than it needs to be. obviously huge cities like ATL have a lot more traffic than here. that's why many of us chose to live here and not there. that doesn't mean we want to sit in traffic because it's better than other places, anymore than someone is okay with being assaulted because "in other places people are being murdered, so you shouldn't complain"

Unread 06-13-2010, 01:11 PM

2,082 posts, read 4,690,464 times
Here's the deal on people with a "warped view of what a long commute is", such as myself. Full disclosure - my current commute is 10 minutes, about five miles, all on city streets - not complaining about my commute at all.

I moved from an area where, if you traveled with traffic during your commute, five miles can take 30 minutes (or longer if luck was not with you on the lights). Having observed this phenomenon, I learned at the very beginning of my working life that living close to work, and traveling opposite of traffic, is best for my quality of life. Why? Because I don't really enjoy spending my "free time" sitting in traffic for five+ hours a week. Guess I'm out of my flippin' mind!

Another bizarre thing that I observed was that over the course of five years in an area with steady population growth, a person's 30 minute one-way commute can very easily turn into 45 minutes or an hour+ each way. Not cool, man. (Unless you like that sorta thing.)

Unread 06-13-2010, 01:12 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,724,790 times
I looked for a house close to my work purposely. I don't want to waste gas or time.

Unread 06-13-2010, 01:16 PM

18,290 posts, read 26,432,254 times
I think one of the real keys to being a contributing member of a community is the old "Live, Work, Play" there.

It's about having the commuting time converted to living time, family time, etc.
"Walkability" of residential areas is a fairly new term. Ideally, it might include walkability in commuting, proximity to employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary