U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:14 AM

3,520 posts, read 3,155,103 times
You can probably use things like French drains and drywells to mitigate this but it will require some engineering probably. You can also remove other impervious surface like patios and put in previous pavers or concrete to offset it. Definitely call the planning Dept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 6,430 times
Thanks everyone for the helpful information and suggestion. One thing that really make me frustrated is that we even do not have any patio built. All we had are house, drive way, and walkway. None of which could be removed to make some room for the screen porch. That make me wondering how other people in the neighborhood build their screen porch? Our house is not big at all. I guess we will have to talk to the planning department,hopefully, they will give us some help.

Old 05-14-2011, 03:58 PM

1,074 posts, read 1,904,629 times
Your plot plan shows how much you've already used.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:32 AM

306 posts, read 368,568 times
Not to add insult to injury, but you should also check with your HOA. I know we technically have available IS on our property, but it is "owned" by the developer/HOA (same entity at the moment) and other lots in our neighborhood borrow against ours. We had the option to buy more IS for future use when we built, but otherwise we cannot use more. On the other hand, if your neighborhood is still being developed, you may be able to buy more from the developer at this point and be clear with Durham that way.

I would love to hear if anyone has had success with ways to reclaim IS without removing existing hardscape, etc. We are thinking of putting in an underground rainwater cistern system for landscaping irrigation use, and it would be great if we could get some IS credit from Durham for our efforts as well.

Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 AM

56 posts, read 114,281 times
If you are in a neighborhood the Impervious Surface limit was probably determined by a total amount allowed for the whole neighborhood. This is then averaged into a "per lot" amount. I know in Durham you can adjust your impervious surface amount if one of your neighbors is well under the allowed sq footage. In other words if you are allowed 4,000 sqft and one of your neighbors has only 3,000 and doesn't plan to increase it you can borrow their square footage (with their consent). I think you have to have both properties surveyed and submit it to the planning department for approval. It sounds more painful than it is.

Other option would be to replace concrete areas with a permeable surface (they have concrete-like material that allows water to flow through it and filter through the ground).

Old 05-17-2011, 07:52 AM

4 posts, read 6,430 times
I called the Durham planning department and the only option is to borrow from the neighbors. However, it sounds a bit crazy to me since most people is not aware of how much impervious they have left. How can we find out then? Even if we can find out, I can't imagine people would give up theirs.

The permeable material sounds like an option.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:13 AM

4 posts, read 3,591 times
I spoke with a city planner last week and she said permeable pavers still count as impervious. Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary